Power trim pump hoses?

series60

Chief Petty Officer
I need replace the two hydraulic hoses that lead from the oildyne pump to the hydraulic manifold under the gimble for a 1984 Mercruiser 305/Alpha (R). The hoses are approx 48" long. One has apparently been replaced and is black. The other is fabric coated with a wrap of thin plastic coating which has since gone by the wayside. I have read some are gray and some are black. I have not found why they are different colors and whether or not that matters. Can someone shed some light on this issue so I can buy the correct ones.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power trim pump hoses?

Ayuh,... 1 side is Hi-pressure, 'n the other is Low-pressure...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The gray (Older hoses were brown) are the high pressure up line, the black is low pressure down line.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

The gray (Older hoses were brown) are the high pressure up line, the black is low pressure down line.

Thanks guys, are these two hose interchangeable or are they different?

Don S

No the hoses are not interchangable, as explained, one is a higher pressure hose than the other.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

I recently replaced both of mine. The black hose is the high pressure (UP) line going from the pump to the manifold. The gray is the low pressure (DOWN) line going from the manifold to the reverse lock valve.
You may not have the external reverse lock valve so it may go to the pump.

If you are facing the front of the pump as it is mounted the high pressure up line will be the one coming out of the bottom on the left. The down low pressure line will be coming out the bottom on the right.

Don S

Explain this from the Merc parts catalog.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 61

twostroke87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gray is high pressure, black is low pressure. Check out the diagram, hose 2 (gray) goes into the connector block, and then branches into each trim cylinder in the front (closer to the bow)

The placement of the lines there would be needed to say lifted the drive up while its in gear in the water, because the force of the drive would naturally want to push it into the boat. Thus you need the high pressure pushing the cylinders out.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Don, you are absolutely correct sir. After some investigation I now see for the Alpha/R high pressure is gray, low pressure black. However some other Mercruiser drives are the opposite, those being TRS and #1 drives that I know of for sure. In the manuals for them it shows to connect gray to the aft hole in the connector block which is down. You would think Mercury would keep the color coding for up and down lines the same in all models as a rule of thumb to eliminate any confusion. Apparently they don't. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

Don S

You would think Mercury would keep the color coding for up and down lines the same in all models as a rule of thumb to eliminate any confusion.

I would NEVER think Merc would do anything like that. Have seen to many things change from one model to the next.

PS: I did look up the hoses for his particular model before I posted. ;)

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes blk is low gery or on mine its clear or grey is high ,found that out i just had my trim pump rebuilt aft trying i had to switch them quick,i was told blk was high WRONG,works great now

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again guys for clearing this little matter up for me. Now its order time. Must rebuild the the gimble which will require ordering some parts and tools. ? Best price for bellows expander tool. I found one for $61.00 (91-45497A1). That seems a bit pricey!

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Well after ordering these hoses twice from two different suppliers, I keep getting the ones with 45? bends at the manifold end. There just isn't enough room to accommodate the hoses unless they have a 90? bend at the manifold end. Does anyone know for sure where I can order the correct ones. Part #s are 32-861128 &
32-861127. I suspect these are not the correct part numbers.
hydhoses.jpg

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

I realize that I am a little bit late to this party but the parts diagram seems to show that #2 at the manifold is the long or tall and is fore of hose #1. I can tell you that you won't get them installed like that.....the "tall" hose will need to be aft of the "short" hose.....There is something amiss with that diagram.....

series60

Chief Petty Officer

I realize that I am a little bit late to this party but the parts diagram seems to show that #2 at the manifold is the long or tall and is fore of hose #1. I can tell you that you won't get them installed like that.....the "tall" hose will need to be aft of the "short" hose.....There is something amiss with that diagram.....

daydreamer, you're not late, this has been an ongoing issue finding the correct hoses for my 1984 Alpha 1. I am currently in a discussion with Tungsten Marine after buying hoses from them and here is a excerpt from their last message:

"Hi William,

Actually the one you received should be a reinforced 70 degree. It is reinforced to allow for a slight manual bend for fitting purposes.

However, if for any reason you are not comfortable with that, I will be happy to ship you a 90 degree on Tuesday. We always stand by our products. We have been using that particular hose for your application for many, many years.

Tungsten Marine"

The new hose end fitting didn't look any different then the original in regards to it being a reinforced item (except for the 70? bend) . I have requested a 90? replacement and we will see how it goes. If you're curious where I am in my restoration check my off forum link in my sig. It's been two years to this point. Pretty boring reading but the pictures help.:confused:

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

wish you the best with the hose issue....not getting what you think you are when ordering online makes things frustrating...had my hoses made up locally so pressure wise they are interchangeable....read your restore thread and your work is very nice and you are doing a 1st class job. the boat will be better when you are done than it was new....my own restore has been under way since April 08 and is nearing completion...lots of trials, tribulations, and pitfalls along the way......may even get it to the water this fall....