Terrova and Powerdrive V2 AP function...?

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Terrova and Powerdrive V2 AP function...?

okay....i seen your thread and pics. I currently have a Motorguide magnum with 41 lbs of thrust. I used it a few times but battery would not last that long. at the time i was using a starting battery for the TM....and im sure the battery was not taken care of probably.

The times i actually used the TM i have...it did a fair job moving the boat. I will pull the trigger on a 55 Powerdrive (54 inch shaft) V2 with AP and will also get the Co-pilot..what the hell, it was money i was going to spend anyway. I will only buy one battery, and if i find i dont get enough time out in the water, i'll buy a second battery for the trolling activities.

I think i will get the Quick release bracket for this troller....i like the fact that you can put a padlock on your motor for security. Thank you all for your answers/advice/suggestions, they were all quit helpfull....

barryll

Seaman

Another county heard from............I hope I'm not to late!

I have owned 4 electric trolling motors over the years (1991 to ...........) and on two different boats (76 Mirrocraft 16' wide deep v and now a 97 19' Starcraft Fishmaster) and the five things I have learned is:

1) You can never have too much power. The wind can/does come up quickly and it is always when your in close quarters (think rocks or a shallow breakline that comes up to quik)

2) Get the longest shaft you can accommodate. Both my boats are aluminum with large sail areas and the bow pitches more, even with two batteries in front.

3) Get the bracket! My first was a permanent mount and it worked for that boat. This boat has the mount and it has come in vary handy (trailering long distance and storage).

4) Once you get a good autopilot you'll never go back. The think that issue is well covered. I learned more from the replys here (and I thought I had a good understanding). GREAT JOB EVERYBODY!!!!

5) Learned the proper way to charge, use, and store batteries, that went a long way to getting max performance . I learned a lot from a retired tournament fisherman, they live and die by the performance of their batteries, with short times to charge/maintain to max capacity. There is much more info on web sites including the different types of battery and size.

My 24v long shaft Terrova AP has performed flawlessly in many different situations.

Just my 2 cents worth..............probably overkill for you boat but ya just never know what or where you are going boating in the future. Drives ya crazy doesn't it. :rolleyes:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

There you go.... two experienced and serious fisherman with trolling motors telling you exactly the same thing.