• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

will a squarebore to spreadbore adapter plate effect performance?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a squarebore to spreadbore adapter plate effect performance?

The manifold i got for my vortec engine is a dualplane squarebore carb setup. I want to use my quadrajet for the time being and that's a spreadbore. I have a 1 inch thick adapter plate that will allow me to mount the quadrajet. Will this cause any performance issues?
    1986 searay 268 weekender "lunasea" (current)
    1986 grady white 24 offshore with twin 150 yamaha's(current)
    1979 grady white 201 marlin (sold)
    1991 seapro centra 190
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lime4x4/Lunasea#
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lime4x4...hite201Marlin#

Re: will a squarebore to spreadbore adapter plate effect performance?

90% of older chev small block and V6 manifolds are already poo by design.

Here's a simple way to check if it's going to effect performance:

Does the manifold/adapter plate combination have a smaller opening than the 4 barrels on the carb?

So long as you're not introducing a restriction, it should be okay.

In fact, in a lot of cases, introducing a spacer can actually help performance.

Comment

Originally posted by lime4x4 View Post
      The manifold i got for my vortec engine is a dualplane squarebore carb setup. I want to use my quadrajet for the time being and that's a spreadbore. I have a 1 inch thick adapter plate that will allow me to mount the quadrajet. Will this cause any performance issues?
      as long as it's not an open spacer you'll be fine, will probably have to adjust idle a/f mixture slightly

Comment

this is the one i have
        http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDeta...minselection=0
        1991 seapro centra 190

Comment

dont use that one, the engine will idle like **** and run like **** anything under 3/4 throttle, get a 4-hole spacer and the proper gaskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat Capri View Post
            dont use that one, the engine will idle like **** and run like **** anything under 3/4 throttle, get a 4-hole spacer and the proper gaskets.
            I don't see anything wrong with that spacer? Why do you think they even make it, if it's gonna be a problem? Plus, usually an increase in plenum height is advantageous, because it gives a longer runner to the manifold, usually increasing torque.

Comment

don't know about that one but i used a 4 holer and then took a die grinder to the intake so the holes funnel smoothly.
              don't remember what brand as it's been some time now.
              different engine and manifold, 390 amc and offy 360 dual port.
              crane cam and lifters plus doug thorley headers
              built to be a mid range engine and runs i think great.
              1968 amx with only 53k miles on the o.d.
              sets in my sons garage now and is his.
              when he was in iraq he asked me how the amx was doing.
              i asked him if he wanted it, quick reply h*** yes!
              then i told him all you have to do is come home alive and it's yours.
              i think i got a bargan.
              opps, sorry but that's how i matched a spread bore double pumper.

Comment

Cool car, Mark Donahue come to mind. that spreadbore adapter will just fine you probably wouldn't feel the difference.
                '90 Chaparral 2000SL
                5.8 Cobra
                '67 MFG Westfield Regal
                80hp V-4
                (No private messages)

Comment

The manifold i got for my vortec engine is a dualplane squarebore carb setup.
                  Ayuh,... I agree,... Why would you want to put an Open plenum over a Dual Plane manifold,..??
                  Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

it's not going to stay that way.. In a month or so i want to replace the quadrajet with an Edelbrock 1409 in a month or so
                    1991 seapro centra 190

Comment

Originally posted by MikDee View Post
                      I don't see anything wrong with that spacer? Why do you think they even make it, if it's gonna be a problem?
                      it's not a problem if yhe engine stays above 4500 rpms all the time

Originally posted by MikDee View Post
                      Plus, usually an increase in plenum height is advantageous, because it gives a longer runner to the manifold, usually increasing torque.
                      that's only true if velocity increases or at least stays the same, that's not gonna happen with that open hole spacer......should only use a spacer for the manifold type you're using

Comment

so i should get this type of spacer then??
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EDELB...Q5fAccessories
                        1991 seapro centra 190

Comment

Personally, I don't think it matters one way or the other

Comment

From Dennis Moore:

CARBURETOR TO MANIFOLD ADAPTERS
                            When General Motors' Rochester Division decided to quit making the
                            Quadrajet carburetor, Mercruiser switched to the Weber carburetor.
                            Unfortunately the Quadrajet four barrel is a spread bore design
                            carburetor and the Weber is a square bore. All Chevrolet marine engines
                            with standard performance intake manifolds have the Quadrajet spread
                            bore carburetor mounting flange. An adapter is used by Mercruiser to
                            mount the square bore Weber carburetor on the spread bore manifold. This is not an ideal situation, to say the least, for maximum performance. The Rochester Quadrajet is one of the finest carburetors ever built It has
                            been discontinued because the entire automotive industry has converted to
                            fuel injection. Purchasing a used Quadrajet marine carburetor from a
                            Boat dealer and installing it in place of the Weber,and doing away with the
                            adapter,would be an excellent idea. The Weber four-barrel is also an
                            excellent carburetor. Installing a square bore intake manifold while
                            retaining the original Weber carburetor would be another good
                            option in order to do away with the adapter. Either way,getting rid of the
                            adapter should be one of your first steps for increased engine
                            performance.
                            From Mercruiser:
                            Anyone who uses a service procedure and/or tool, which is not recommended by the manufacturer, first must completely satisfy himself that neither his nor the productís safety will be endangered by the service procedure selected.

Comment

so i should get this type of spacer then??
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EDELB...Q5fAccessories
                              Ayuh,.... Actually,.. This would be the Best adapter to use,...

You're gonna change it in a month or so,...
                              Break out the plastic,+ do it Right the 1st time,.....
                              Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Working...
                              X