Converting 4.3l Mercruiser to inboard

Ironjoe

Recruit
I have a 98 Mercruiser Vortec that I would like to convert to inboard for a runabout that I built. It has a power steering pump that I need to remove but the only solution I've been able to find is to disconnect the hoses but leave the pump so the serpentine belt still has a pulley to go around. Mercury will only say that they do not recommend this conversion.
I'm more of a woodworker than a mechanic but I was hoping someone out there might know the solution so I don't have to find an older engine with V belts.
Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

there are power-steering delete kits in the automotive market, however Mercruiser has their own bracket design that isnt shared with the automotive market. you may be able to adapt one of the kits or use an A/C delete idler pulley, modify the brackets and get it to fit. post a pic of the boat your building as well as the motor you have and we can all offer suggestions.

if you simply disconnect the hoses but leave the pump, the bearings in the pump would very very shortly go bad and seize the pump as the power steering oil is the lubrication. you can simply tie the two lines together if you wanted to leave the pump on it.

another alternative - you can pull the saganaw can-o-ham pump apart and turn it into an idler if you want. here is a link that goes into details of dissecting the pump (with pictures). http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191885

Ironjoe

Recruit
Thanks. I guess I can connect the hoses but after spending 4 years building the boat I just can't bring myself to having an engine in there with the pump that doesn't belong. I like the idea of the bypass pulley but I'm not smart enough to figure that out if it's not just compatible parts I could order.
I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Any possibility of deleting the pump and using a shorter belt? I need to find a drawing of the belt routing.....

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 98 Mercruiser Vortec that I would like to convert to inboard for a runabout that I built.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Even inboards have a transmission, how ya gonna hook the motor to it,..??

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I know there is a alpha 4.3 without power steering... I have a belt diagram circa 1997-2001 4.3 L, LX, LXH

Attachments

• photo254599.jpg
    photo254599.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254600.jpg
    photo254600.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0

Ironjoe

Recruit
Bman440440
I would have thought that I could just replace it with an idler pulley but my The Merc guy I talked to didn't seem to think that they made the parts but I will try checking again. Thanks for the diagram.
Bondo
Connecting the velvet drive seems like child's play compared to this goofy power steering issue.

As far

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bman440440
I would have thought that I could just replace it with an idler pulley but my The Merc guy I talked to didn't seem to think that they made the parts but I will try checking again. Thanks for the diagram.
Bondo
Connecting the velvet drive seems like child's play compared to this goofy power steering issue.

As far

Would probably be a bunch of parts needed (not just one or two). However find your local small garage that builds hotrods, or machine shop that builds motors. Bet they could come up with a standard idler pulley and make a bracket to mount it for you.

BtDoctur is right about the angle

alldodge

Staff member
IMO the stern drive sits more at an angle then an inboard, motor is more forward toward the center due to the transmission, how do you figure?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
stern drive doesn't sit at a angle "at least mine don't" where as the inboard has to unless you are using a v drive or other type but a shaft drive has to have a angle to keep everything strait going thru the hull I think its 14 or 15 degrees if I recall, typically you would have a plate under carb to adjust for that angle or your floats would act up

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a 98 Mercruiser Vortec that I would like to convert to inboard for a runabout that I built.
Howdy,

You're not going to get very far here unless you show us a picture of your home built Runabout!!!:D:D

Don't keep us in the dark!!

Ironjoe

Recruit
I will try to upload a photo but I have them on my iPad and it tells me the file is to big. I will try to figure it out.
Is it any wonder I can't figure out my steering pump issue?

Thanks for the photo of the carb shim. The engine sits at a 12 degree angle.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I will try to upload a photo but I have them on my iPad and it tells me the file is to big. I will try to figure it out.
Is it any wonder I can't figure out my steering pump issue?
Hey, you've built a boat! You're miles ahead of many of us!!

One very easy way is to get a free Photobucket, Flickr, Dropbox or other photohosting account. Photobucket and other sites have APP's for Windows, MAC, IPAD Droid, (even Linux) that will upload pics to their own sites...... Then they'll have "links" you can place in emails, forum posts etc. It's better than uploading the actual file each time you want to send a pic............ You just copy/paste the link wherever you want the pic to display.

Cheers,

Rick

Ironjoe

Recruit
I don't have the seawater pump yet. I wanted to address the steering pump first.
The engine is an alpha drive. Serial # 0L083049.
I may have found the solution by trading the motor for an 89 model with conventional V belts. This may be easier for someone as mechanically challenged as myself.
I will try that photobucket thing to get a photo posted. I am computer challenged as well.
All the feedback is amazing.
Thanks guys.