Mercruiser twin inboards backfire/stumble

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. New here. I've read as much as I could get my eyes onto trying to solve this problem. I'm admitting partial defeat posting here as I pride myself at solving difficult problems. However, I don't know everything...
This is longwinded, but thought I?d get as much info out as I can at once.

Boat is a restored 1957 Chris Craft Constellation, about 40 ft. Was beautifully restored and re-engined early 2000's with 2 Mercruiser 5.7l's of 1998 vintage. Supposedly, these were new crate engines at the time and have adjacent serial numbers, 0Kxxxxxx. 4bbl Weber carbs with thunderbolt V knock sensor ignition and fresh water cooled manifolds. There's about 300 hours on these engines and have been maintained with Mercruiser parts.
Boat itself is gorgeous and well protected. It sits in salt water full time in a boat house in Puget Sound, but the boat isn't the issue. It's the engines.
Symptoms: Engines always start/run great. After 30-120 minutes up on plane around 3800 rpm, an engine will pop/backfire once out of the blue. Usually a single event, but once this begins, it will become more frequent to the point of rough running forcing us to run at 1200-1500 rpm to keep the stumbling under control. This has occurred for many seasons and randomly to the point of not trusting the boat for any kind of extended trip.
I got involved with this almost 2 seasons ago, and have systematically improved and fixed many things, but no conclusive luck with the bad behavior I described.
Here's what's been done:
#1 Compression is good. All cylinders are 165-175, with one outlier at 155.
#2 Exhaust elbows were serviced and confirmed no water going where it shouldn?t go.
#3 No water in the oil. No coolant leaks.
#4 Initially, suspected the fuel system. Inserted (temporary) clear gas lines at the fuel filter inlets to watch for bubbles and crud. Inserted gauges at the filter inlet and pump outlet (both engines) while underway. These are mechanical fuel pumps and everything looks great, even when the bad behavior begins. We always use ethanol free fuel. We inspected all fuel lines and vents. Took bottom of tank samples, looked inside tanks for rust/crud. Checked carbs for sinking floats, carb filters, all the normal stuff. Concluded we don't have a fuel problem.
#5 Full electrical tune up in the past 2 months both engines: Plugs, wires, rotor, cap, ignition sensors. Used Mercruiser parts and set the TB V base timing, idle and carb mixtures using the proper TB V procedure. These engines run sweet.

Recently, have been able to perform sea trials attempting to exacerbate this problem. Sure enough, starboard engine now consistently acts up after extended running. Engine temps do not run hot, however. In fact, I was finally able to reproduce this behavior after extended 2000 rpm idle episodes in the boat house. Great, I thought. Now I can figure this out. Nice thing about 2 identical engines, is ease of swapping parts. I swapped all of this stuff port to starboard one at a time and was still able to recreate the bad behavior on the port engine:
Coil, ICU, ignition coil, carb. Oh yeah, unhooked the tach wire too.
Starboard engine still stumbles and runs horribly after all of these swaps.

Then, two breakthroughs? First, I had the timing light connected during these episodes and watched ignition timing while the stumbling occurred. Indeed timing jumped around, but I was loosing spark (flashes) synchronized to the engine stumbling.
Next, I connected voltmeters at the coil + connection, and another to the +12V wire into the ICU. These voltmeters can capture min/max DC so I ran another test. No issues there, rock solid DC with no fluctuations. Checked the notorious Cannon connector and was fine. Cleaned it up a bit anyhow for due diligence.
More timing light tests; I don?t believe I?m seeing enough advance. But I swapped the ICU?s, how can this be?

Next another sea trial, mainly because it was a nice day. This time, we were a bit more aggressive when the starboard engine problem occurred. That is, we didn?t the port engine way down as we would normally do on the water. We let the starboard engine continue to stumble as I went below looking for more symptoms while continuing to cruise on port power. After a few more minutes of this, the port engine began stumbling exactly the same way. This is this first time we realized either engine exhibited this behavior. Mr. Captain was not happy as we were 10 miles out with 2 sick engines. I knew we could let things cool a while and be fine again. And, we?re on to something.

This is where I?m at:
This is an electrical problem. Spark drop out. Timing goes crazy and advance is messed up, I believe.
It?s temperature related.
Both engines have exactly the same behavior.

Now, the previous swapping proves nothing. Could I have 2 bad coils, or 2 bad ICU?s? I think that is highly unlikely, but I?m stumped and don?t want to spend $500+ for an ICU science experiment.
I?m inclined to consider something was fundamentally wired wrong when the engines were installed way back when. I haven?t found anything wrong, yet?

Any and all suggestions are welcome,
?bill

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

if there was an issue from day one, it wouldnt take 16-18 years to show up.

what you are describing sounde like the ignition trigger assembly is going bad. except that if this part is bad, your motor just stops running after a few minutes of stumbling and the chances of both motors having the same item fail at the same time is about a billion to one.

however if both engines are exibiting the same issue, the only thing common is the fuel system, fuel source, and posibly your battery bank. (going to rule out the battery bank for now). is the symptom when the motor stumbles more of a sneeze. they call it a lean sneeze for a reason.

since you have knock sensors, if your motor sneezes, your ignition will retard the ignition to prevent detonation which will kill your motor.

have you checked by running the motors on a separate fuel tank (outboard tank). this would isolate the fuel system. when was the last time the contents of a fuel filter were examined. grab two 1 gallon zip lock bags, unscrew the fuel filters, and pour the contents in the bag. if you see separation, your fuel supply has water in it. throw the old filter in the bag (never reuse a filter)

additionally, if your fuel system vent is plugged, both engines would run for a while, then start to loose power.

here are the two stickies at the top of the forum. I do suggest you and the captain go thru them. specifically the links on testing the fuel system.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...es-outdrives/295720-adults-only-no-exceptions
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...77-must-have-technical-information-for-diyers

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it possible you could have a bad ground or two? Electricity does funny things when there's a bad ground.

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
Folks. Thanks for the prompt responses.
Scott:
The ?stumble? sometimes begins as a lone backfire pop while running 2800-3500 rpm. Then, after 15-30 seconds, backfires become more frequent and the rpm falls off. Engine will run without backfire at low rpm (1200-1500), but it isn?t smooth and seems to be missing. It will even diesel at shutdown which never happens when engine isn?t in this funky mode.
Sometimes there is no back fire, but the rpm reduction steadily occurs leading into the same lousy running condition. Powering off for 10 minutes will return operation to normal, until it happens again. Never happens cold, only after it?s run hard for a period.
I can absolutely see that spark is being suppressed (via timing light) when the stumbling occurs.
Seems to me, the trigger or ICU is bad or it?s reacting to some condition attempting to save the motor.
???

Each engine has its own start battery. Both batteries are good, and charging voltages are confirmed.
Please explain how a battery might cause this issue. Interesting...

Both ignition triggers were replaced 3-4 weeks ago with new Mercruiser parts. It is a billion to 1 that 2 working triggers fail at the same time, but it is feasible I received 2 new defective triggers. Both were replaced at the same time. Unfortunately, old triggers went to the dump, so can't swap them back. I'm not beyond buying a new trigger if that's what it takes.

I know it's compelling to suspect the fuel. Boat has 2 tanks, and we're running each engine from it's own tank (no fuel sharing while we debug this). I replaced fuel filters first thing about a month ago. Carefully poured contents into a glass jar looking for water droplets or fuel separation issues. Nada, both clear. I sawed the filters open to see if elements were clogged or to gain any insight. Only debris was fine dusty brown powder that settled to the bottom of the filter. No rust, no chunks, no water. New filters didn't change behavior. Interesting that there's a black matt at the bottom of the filter can to collect moisture...
Confirmed both fuel vents are free and clear. As mentioned earlier, took samples from the bottom of both tanks. Looked OK, maybe one or 2 small water droplets in a quart of perfectly clean fuel from the absolute bottom of the tank.
As I mentioned, I installed pressure/vacuum gauges per instructions on this site. That is, the filter fuel inlets to see if any suction/clogging occurred during running. I?m convinced there are no air leaks or obstructions in the fuel delivery of either engine.
Haven't run from a separate fuel source, but can find no evidence of a fuel issue, especially as I see spark dropout correlation.

Steve91T: Suspect there could always be bad grounds. I?ve checked that ICU and trigger ground connections are secure. Suspect, there could be a bad ground elsewhere on the harness.
I?ll check.

Insight welcome,
?bill

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
Lean sneeze.
Did some forum hunting and I could indeed have lean sneeze.
Can anyone explain how Thunderbolt V reacts to lean sneezes?
Could it indeed stop timing advance or disrupt spark?
Although I don't believe I have fuel delivery problems, I could have carb issues.

Thanks
...bill

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

A couple of pics from last July. FYI.

Attachments

• photo251904.jpg
    photo251904.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251905.jpg
    photo251905.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 0

NHGuy

Captain
When it runs lean the knock sensors detect the designated frequency and the retard unit pulls out timing to save the pistons.
My guess is it really is knocking. To stop it is the challenge. I am still fine tuning my stroker that has your carb and ignition so I have been doing the homework. I wonder if the engines are getting too warm from pushing all that vintage weight? Did you say they have a steady 140 or 150 on the gauges? That's what I was getting when my 350 Mag was original.
Can the engines get 4600 RPM? If not you may be getting torque loading causing heat buildup that eventually preignites your fuel. If they are over propped you could get the propellers repitched down.
The grounds are always smart to clean up and duplicate. Won't ever hurt anything.
You could feed them some high octane and see if that does the trick.
What color are the spark plugs? If they are super white you can rejet the carbs richer. But to be certain of how much fuel to run you'd want an air fuel ratio sensor to check your mix under load and wide open. All the carb parts interchange with the Edelbrock 1409 except the metering springs which are taller. If you end up needing a spring change you'd also need some other pieces. Let us know and I will fill you in.
Perhaps there's carbon buildup in the combustion chambers causing hot spots, preignition, detonation, increased compression. If that's the case you could run the engine with the carb linkage disconnected and high rev it while feeding Seafoam. Then put in so much seafoam that the engine staggers and stutters. shut if off while it's all loaded with seafoam and just let the stuff work in the combustion chambers. After 15 to 30 minutes restart it run it til smooth. change the oil and spark plugs. Go see if it worked.
You can change to the jets and metering rods they use in the 350 Bluewater. Those are bigger than the standard 350 carb jets. The primaries are .101" instead of .098. The rods are .070 to .052. Whereas the OE jets are .098" with 68/66/64 rods. So when the throttle is under greater power demand the Bluewater engine feeds a lot more fuel.That engine also gets .098 secondaries.

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
NHGuy, Thanks for the insight. We never push these engines past 4000-4100. No problem getting to there when it's running right, and have no reason to believe it's over propped. Cooling systems work fine and typically run 145F-155F. Higher end is always the starboard engine, but think that's well withing the accuracy tolerance of Ye Olde temp gauges. There's no indication of any overheating from the temp gauges.
Plugs appear normal; just changed them a few weeks ago...
Can get the fail mode to occur even at 3000 rpm, but it will happen sooner at higher rpm.
As you're playing with this set up, do you know if the Thunderbolt V system will turn off spark in some mode other than red line protection? I definitely see the spark shutting down as the stumble occurs. Could extreme knock detection force that condition?
I'm willing to re-jet the carb, but I want to get this running reliably before any carb mods. This should run reliably stock.

Both engines will exhibit the bad behavior, although independently. So, still baffled how this can be...

BtDoctur: How does one determine there's a weak valve spring without removing or dismantling the head?

Thanks all,
...bill, an ex-NH guy

NHGuy

Captain
I'd be avoiding the jetting change too. Just wanted to tell you what I have seen.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
weak vavle spring wouldnt affect both motors

running warm may affect them both since they are in the same bilge. what is the actual temp with an IR thermometer?

you have check the content of the fuel filter, thats good, however didnt find anything out of the ordinary other than the fine dusty powder. do you have a picture of this powder? if this powder is fine enough, it would make its way to the carb. how thick of a residue did you have? I would be tempted to pull the carbs and go thru them

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Here are pics of one of the disembodied fuel filters.
There was some of this residue at the bottom of the filter when opened. Most of what's seen in the can was knocked off the filter element after it dried.
Mostly the consistency of super fine clay. Second photo shows filter residue on white paper. Some of the black stuff is remains of the Dremel cut-off wheel used to slice filter apart. Come to think of it, alot of this "stuff" could be cut-off wheel dust. Stomach says this stuff is real fuel residue.
I still have the 2nd filter and can cut it open with a hack saw and compare.
This stuff is mighty fine and may have indeed progressed past the filter.

Thinking about this whole situation a bit more... Last year and prior, it was an occasional sneeze/pop leading to engine stumbling forcing us to chug along under 2000 rpm. It's much worse this year after changing out all of the electrical parts (plugs, wires, caps, triggers). Never saw 2 engines affected until last week.

Comments, insight welcome.

...bill

Attachments

• photo251932.jpg
    photo251932.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251933.jpg
    photo251933.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 0

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
Indeed, have checked heat exchanger hot side temps with an IR meter. Both around 170F as I recall. Both thermostats were changed as well as full coolant flushes this season. May do a run later today and will double check... FYI

Scott Danforth

Staff member
with that much debris in the filter, I guarantee there is a layer of the same sediment in your carbs.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
to check the valve springs for equal pressure, remove the rocker arms and tap each valve stem with a small hammer.They should all sound the same .A hollow or weak report is a bag spring.

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Just hacked open the port filter with a hacksaw, so debris is real. Same stuff as in starboard filter, but less of it.
That black disk sat at the bottom of the can, and suspect that is what makes this a water separator filter.

So, could this kind of crud in a carb cause a lean mixture and the wacky behavior I experience? I know these carbs have not been touched since installed on the engines back in 97/98. I guess I know the answer...

Edelbrock kit or Mercruiser kit?

...bill

Attachments

• photo251950.jpg
    photo251950.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 0

NHGuy

Captain
Both kits should have the same bits. Price & parts comparison is in order. Keep the left & right, oops port & stbd pieces grouped and return them back where they come from. The best way is with a set of baggies. Mercruiser did some unequal jetting sometimes.
You can get the entire carb apart with torx 25 and torx 15 bits.along with a few other basic tools. I'd recommend following Edelbrocks guide, it's good. They don't have you dunk it in carb dip. I think they recommend a washing with Dawn soap.
Since there is muck you need to clean the fuel tanks. Perhaps you could polish the fuel by pumping it all back and forth from one tank to the other through excellent filters til no more residue gets caught in the filter. Then put all your fuel into one tank and clean the empty tank. After that, filter the fuel into the clean tank and go to town on the dirty one.
Sounds like a PITA, but I can tell you there is great joy when something like this is complete cause your boat runs well.

...bill

Seaman Apprentice
Carb is a Mercruiser 4 bbl Weber. AKA, Carter AFB.
Went for a sea trial today in Puget Sound. Blasted around for about and hour and 10 minutes at 3800 rpm waiting for a stumble, and of course NOTHING HAPPENED. Only change is a load of new gas and the temperature is quite cool in the upper 50's on the water.

In any event will rebuild the carbs and report back.