Re: port 305 stalls on shift. YouTube video attached.

infy

Cadet
Re: port 305 stalls on shift. YouTube video attached.

It starts instantly. Revs up no problem. But as soon as you touch F or R it stalls instantly. No hesitation.. no effort.

I'm suspecting a bad neutral safety switch. Or does the shift interrupt need to be tuned?

I know the previous owner just replaced the distributor cap and spark plug wires. Could an error in the wire sequence cause this?

infy

Cadet
Someone suggested checking the shift plate. Everything seems ok. Followed the wiring harness and nothing stood out.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I would think the shift interrupter is where your problem is. Look on youtube, plenty of videos to show how it should work.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
lower shift cable is bad or corrosion in the shift components in the drive

infy

Cadet
Thanks! I'm going to do a quick test before having that lower shift cable replaced. Next time I'm out there, I'll disable the shift interruptor switch circuit. Then start the port engine in open water and shift it in to gear. If it shifts and I have thrust, I'll know it's not a short or a problem elsewhere.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The interupter switch assembly MUST NOT MOVE going into gear, if it moved, the lower cable is bad or there is corrosion present.