power steering pump leak

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2007 496 HO Mag it has the small power steering pump that I had to replace last season. When I installed it had a small leak around the line coming in that I just could not stop from leaking. It was end of the year so I left it until this year. I worked on it again today but can just not stop the leak. Its the small pump. There's a fitting that goes on top. Its a screw in fitting with 2 O-rings. I replaced both. Then the double flair line goes into that. I put O-rings on both sides of the flair and it still leaks. I'm lost............

alldodge

Staff member
The worst thing about the new pump is there is very little info out there on them. All I can offer is since the fitting still leaks there is either a burr on the fitting or the O-rings while the same size may not be of the correct material or thickness

Sorry I cannot offer more help

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The worst thing about the new pump is there is very little info out there on them. All I can offer is since the fitting still leaks there is either a burr on the fitting or the O-rings while the same size may not be of the correct material or thickness

Sorry I cannot offer more help
That's part of the issue there is nothing on it. I would settle for a diagram just to see if I am missing anything. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Been looking around and I believe this is the GM Type 2 Saginaw PS pump. Uses a 5/8 return line and 16MM x 1.5 inlet fitting. The inlet fitting is removable and if it's like the Type 1 Saginaw pump, the difference is that fitting. The Type 1 pump fitting increases the output pressure. Manual 30 does not list the output pressure.
Type 2 PS Pump.jpg

Started another thread to discuss this issue

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-steering-pump

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's definitely the pump. I will follow the other thread a well. If the cheaper pump is the same I would carry a spare. The fitting you are referring to is the one that I can not stop from leaking. It is threaded with two O-rings then narrows to a piece approx., 5/16 wide and has a perpendicular hole drilled through it. I would to see a diagram of the fitting and the hose that connects to it.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It's entirely possible that a rebuilt pump is defective from the get go. Inspect the fitting areas really well for any defects also.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, there should be no nicks on either end (line or fitting)

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see no choice at this point I sure wish this was an easier job than it is. In this pontoon boat I have quite literally no area to work in. The engine sits inches from the boat frame work and all this has to be done laying practically upside down to even get my arms that far down to take it back off. I am doing this all while on my boat hoist. My neighbor is still telling stories of not knowing what was going on under that canopy but there sure was a lot of swearing going on. lol

alldodge

Staff member
I feel your pain, I dread every other year when it comes time to replace my impeller. I to have to hang upside down to get at it. Also have to remove the alternator

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I feel your pain, I dread every other year when it comes time to replace my impeller. I to have to hang upside down to get at it. Also have to remove the alternator
Ok so working with what I had for a pump. (The leaking one) I changed out the o-rings again and got the leak is down to being very slight. I couldn't feel any burrs on the threads either but I did no remove the pump to get a real good look at it. Right now it doesn't leak if I don't start the engine and only gets a small ring of fluid around the threads were the fitting meets the pump. I have been running like this and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse but I also don't want to be stranded if it develops an all out leak.

I am willing to give the part AllDodge found a try at a third the cost its seems to be worth it. But the pump does not come with the fitting that screws in were the flared hose fitting goes. And I can not seem to locate a part number for it. Anyone know what the item number to this is? On the pump I have it had to be swapped from the old pump but I want to start with a new one just in case there is something wrong with the fitting itself.

Thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
As before if that is like the auto/marine difference in the older pump it has to be changed out. Hate to say it, but it probably needs to be removed to figure it out.

If you look at the pics of the other pumps and where the fitting would go, does it look like maybe the fitting seen on the Merc type may be just an adapter screwed into the original fitting?

Maybe Fun Times can help

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As before if that is like the auto/marine difference in the older pump it has to be changed out. Hate to say it, but it probably needs to be removed to figure it out.

If you look at the pics of the other pumps and where the fitting would go, does it look like maybe the fitting seen on the Merc type may be just an adapter screwed into the original fitting?

Maybe Fun Times can help
It's hard to tell from the pictures alone they have the hole covered so can't tell if the fitting is in or not. It kind of looks like it is then just the flair line screws in. I might have to get a pump here and just look at it.

How do I get a hold of FUNTIMES ?

alldodge

Staff member
You could PM him, but he would get notified when I posting his name in the thread above, might be busy. Your posting is done different then his screen name

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You could PM him, but he would get notified when I posting his name in the thread above, might be busy. Your posting is done different then his screen name
Ok, hopefully he sees this thread and has some input. Thanks for all the help.

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Been looking around and I believe this is the GM Type 2 Saginaw PS pump. Uses a 5/8 return line and 16MM x 1.5 inlet fitting. The inlet fitting is removable and if it's like the Type 1 Saginaw pump, the difference is that fitting. The Type 1 pump fitting increases the output pressure. Manual 30 does not list the output pressure.

Started another thread to discuss this issue

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-steering-pump

AllDodge; getting ready to pull the boat out of the water for the year. Never was able to stop the slow leak in the pump so am going to replace it. Of the pumps you showed in this post which one would you go with if this was you? I'm willing to give one a try over the cost of a Mercruiser at $525. Thanks Scott

alldodge

Staff member
From the specs they are the same so if there is no warranty one over the other I would go for which ever is cheaper, part and shipping.

Never have found anyone which has done it. As before use your pressure regulator

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds good. It seems if anything there wouldn't be enough pressure the valve brings up to pressure from what I am reading. Or is that wrong? I'm willing to gie it shot either way. For a quarter of the price its worth a shot.

alldodge

Staff member
Its my understanding that the fitting which screws into the housing has a spring behind it or in it. That spring is what regulates the pressure, same thing for old style. So long as you have both pumps you could try new and if pressure is low, switch.

Guess the only issue with that is it is so hard to get at it

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Either way I have to fix the leak. Little ones tend to become big ones at the wrong time. As long as I am in there might as well give it s shot. What I am slightly worried about is if the leak is actually in that fitting. I can not source one of those anywhere.

alldodge

Staff member
Have to agree there, it its the fitting. The spring inside the fitting is where pressure is determined. It its like the old style it can be taken apart and spring exchanged.

Just a thought, but have you tried to loosen the hose then tighten the fitting and then retighten the hose?