1990 120 hp evinrude controls

steppinstone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I just purchase this 1990 120 hp motor with no controls. I found and purchased a omc control box with a red connector harness. The problem i'm having is it will not start with the key so I disconnected the harness and jumped the solenoid and it fired up. Could anyone tell me if they've had this problem or tell me what i'm doing wrong? Thanks for any input in advance

the controller should have a button that is pushed in or held out by a lanyard key (plastic key also called man over board switch). With out the key installed the motor will not run.

jusr re-read the original post

do you mean it will not run or do you mean it will not activate the starter.
If its the starter make sure the shifter is in neutral, you should fell a slight notch when centered.

Last edited:

steppinstone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello glenn, What I meant was, it cranks the engine but you get no sparks from any of the plugs. When I disconnect the plug harness and jump the solenoid to start it the engine fires right up, and while its running I connected the harness it shuts right down. any idea? Would it be the wrong controls or should I take it apart and check the wiring and diodes? I first thought I might have to buy a power pack or resister, or some electronics for the engine, but it runs fine with out the harness I would have been shot by wife if I spent money on the engine that really wasn't needed those electrical thing add up very fast.

steppinstone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello glenn, What I meant was, it cranks the engine but you get no sparks from any of the plugs. When I disconnect the plug harness and jump the solenoid to start it the engine fires right up, and while its running I connected the harness it shuts right down. any idea? Would it be the wrong controls or should I take it apart and check the wiring and diodes? I first thought I might have to buy a power pack or resister, or some electronics for the engine, but it runs fine with out the harness I would have been in trouble by wife if I spent money on the engine that really wasn't needed those electrical thing add up very fast.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
If run's when jumped but not when connect harness sounds like bad ignition switch.

Last edited:

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could be short in harness but most likely key switch.

steppinstone

Seaman Apprentice
you still forgot to answer the main question.......do you have the man overboard key / lanyard installed ?

read this it may help. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html don't buy parts with out proving there is a problem or it will get real expensive
Hello Glenn , There is a button on the side of the controls I thought it was for the tilt.Now that I think of it maybe it is a lanyard switch, I'll take a look at it tomorrow after work.

steppinstone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Glenn, I got home yesterday and tried pushing in the switch and it came alive started up. So it is a lanyard switch ya whoo. It has a hole on the top and bottom of the surrounding cover like. I could put a cotter pin in and hold the button in. Those keys on ebay don't look like they will work they might but I like the cotter pin with a cable. Thank you very much for the help. I'm so happy I didn't have to rip apart the harness.

The idea of the lanyard is so you can fall out of the boat and not get run over. Boats have a bad habit of turning when no one is steering so if you hit a wave wrong and go over board you get to watch the boat making a slow turn before it runs you over and chops you up with the prop. Go with a proper clip as they are designed to come free of the switch with a small amount of force. Also it keeps the boat police happy when they pull you over for a safety check.

steppinstone

Seaman Apprentice
You make a good point glenn ! I really don't want to get eaten up by the prop if something were to happen. I will indeed purchase one over the winter while the boat is layed up for the season. Thank you again for the help