OMC Side Mount Control Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonlaced

Recruit
Does anyone have the owners manual for this type of control, or can someone explain to me what everything does.

I understand neutral, forward and reverse. As well as Trim up and down.

What's everything else I'm new.

011513010208010403200806146f13401e5.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Side Mount Control Manual

The other lever, the one that lifts up, is for giving it some throttle to start and warm up the motor without putting it in gear. Raise it to give it some throttle, lower it all the way to go back to idle. It has to be all the way down before you can shift.

The gizmo with the rope (lanyard) is a kill switch. You clip it to your clothes or life jacket (you do have a life jacket, right), and when you fall out of the boat it kills the engine. Otherwise the boat keeps going, leaving you there to drown. Worse yet, it goes around in a circle, coming back to run over you to make sure you are dead. Don't laugh, it has happened MANY times. The motor won't start or run without the lanyard attached to the switch button.

The key switch is self-explanitory, except that you push in on it while turning it to the start position. Pushing in on it operates the choke or primer, whichever applies. They both do the same thing.

carbonlaced

Recruit

Great Thanks,

Yeah I have a life jacket and kinda guessed that.

On my controls under the key switch is a knob that can turn left to right, does that do anything?

craigmpak

Cadet

why can't they just label all the controls ...?!?!

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

That knob should be for adjusting the friction of the throttle. So that it wont lose throttle position over rough water and the like.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats the first time ive seen the controlls on the left of the wheel. Was the previous owner a southpaw?

juandapoolboi

Seaman Apprentice

i have the same controlls and there mounted on the left as well and theres also wires in it that are not hooked up one is on the other side of the kill switch and theres two more that look like they sholud be hooked up on the same screw but arent any idea what they are for??? p.s. my bost dosent run lol but im workin on it

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the controls are actually reversable.

Tybalt

Cadet

Search tab for the win!!

I was needing the same info for this, and found it here. My controls are mounted same place also oO tho the console on pontoon boat is to the right side so kinda tight spot to mount them on right side.

I was only lost on what the stupid lever on top did, it has a picture of a book on it only haha, but now know its throttle for warm up ^^ thx a ton.

Although 1 question. I have nothing for my kill switch, no lanyard, no "key" for it (whatever its called, but the rubber thing) BUT she starts and runs without so i am guessing someone jimmyrigged it, unless they came with and without the use of it which i find hard to believe as it eliminates some liability. Any suggestions?

HosBos

Recruit

This is great THANKS to all, I have two questions:
Q1. Does anyone have a user / service manual in PDF format?
Q2. I have a Johnson 140 VRO outboard (2 stroke) and the OMC controls is making a continuous squeel noise can anyone help me PLEASE?

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

The squeeling is an alarm, either engine temp or low oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.