1964 Evinrude 5 1/2 will not start

chiefk

Cadet
1964 Evinrude 5.5HP, 5402B

I recently bought this old motor and am having nothing but headaches with it. Now it won't start at all, previously it would start and run at wide open throttle and a little slower but would die before getting to the shift mark on the throttle. Now I can hardly get it to start and it needs full choke and throttle wide open to start, but will not run slow. So far this is what I have one to it.
1. Compression check - 85 psi both cylinders
2. Rebuilt and cleaned carburetor twice
3. Complete ignition system replacement; plugs, wires, points, condensers, coils
4. spark jumps 1/4" on tester with brisk pull on starter rope but not with a steady slow pull.

The only other thing I can think of is the reeds which I have not looked at yet.

I am not new to this as I have 4 older (1953-1960) 3HP motors that I rebuilt and all are running.

Any ideas? Help!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Do you have some wires crossed in the ignition system from working on it throwing it out of time ??

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It ain't the reeds, at least not unless some critter built a nest in there. Anyhoo, it should run with all that you did. So the question becomes what did you do wrong. My guess (note, I said guess) is that you missed the fixed high speed jet when you cleaned the carburetor twice. It is behind the hex drain plug in the very bottom of the bowl where it collects all the dirt and crud. It must be absolutely, positively squeaky CLEAN without a trace of any dirt, varnish, etc. Is it????

chiefk

Cadet
It ain't the reeds, at least not unless some critter built a nest in there. Anyhoo, it should run with all that you did. So the question becomes what did you do wrong. My guess (note, I said guess) is that you missed the fixed high speed jet when you cleaned the carburetor twice. It is behind the hex drain plug in the very bottom of the bowl where it collects all the dirt and crud. It must be absolutely, positively squeaky CLEAN without a trace of any dirt, varnish, etc. Is it????

Yep, cleaned it good but it did not even need cleaning. No varnish in this carb at all.

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
I recently had a motor in the shop with the same problem. The only thing i could even posibly find wrong was the older cork float. so I told the fella its likely the reeds but it might be this old float shedding pieces and clogin up the carb as soon as i put it back together. so he had me put the new float in it, it did not help. the fella was a older mechanic himself and decided to take it home and fiddle with it.. He called a week later and complained that i shoulda known it was the reed valve to start with.. he replaced them and it ran like a champ apparently. im just glad he got it fixed.

chiefk

Cadet
I recently had a motor in the shop with the same problem. The only thing i could even posibly find wrong was the older cork float. so I told the fella its likely the reeds but it might be this old float shedding pieces and clogin up the carb as soon as i put it back together. so he had me put the new float in it, it did not help. the fella was a older mechanic himself and decided to take it home and fiddle with it.. He called a week later and complained that i shoulda known it was the reed valve to start with.. he replaced them and it ran like a champ apparently. im just glad he got it fixed.

Wow, that is something. I also have the old cork float but all I did was replace it with another old cork float because I did not have a new plastic one.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
As already suggested, try swapping the plug wires. It only takes a minute and doesn't cost anything. Very common problem, don't assume the previous owner had them right.

chiefk

Cadet
Did you pop welch plugs and clean slow speed channels?

Yes. Plug wires are right. Squirted some fuel directly into the cylinder and put the plugs back in. It fired right up and ran for 2 or 3 seconds. Then put a little shot in the carb intake, fired right up and ran for a few seconds. So then I hooked up the gas line and pumped it up. Would not start. Tried to spray some in the intake again, would not start. Maybe flooded now?
Made sure fuel is being pumped up to the fuel pump, it is good. Took off the fuel pump to carb line and pulled it through, got about 2 shots and that was it. ????
Right now I just pulled the reed plate off and of course they look good but I am still investigating. I just came into the house to look up some part pictures.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I know you say the high speed jet is clean, and I totally respect that. But the symptoms certainly say it isn't. The only other thing I can imagine is badly worn out main bearings or something on that order, like scored piston skirts. But is starts and runs if you use a nursing bottle. So.......back to that orifice plug. Sorry for being a nag. Hope you find the problem, I'm out of suggestions.

chiefk

Cadet
Carburetor is coming apart again. Maybe float valve sticking closed? I will definitely inspect/ clean the orifice plug again. I think I will do everything again on that simplest of carburetors, not like the hollys and webers I've worked on before, Toyotas were the worst!
Thanks for all the advice we are leaving for Wisconsin tomorrow from here in Florida. I guess I won't be bringing my new 5.5 with me but instead I will be bringing my 1960 Evinrude 3HP.

chiefk

Cadet
Carb is off, I am going to go through it again. Anyway the rush is over on this motor since I can't bring it. I'm outta time!

chiefk

Cadet
Well, carb teardown and buildup is complete. Removed orifice plug and everything is clean down that hole, in fact all holes and passages. Put it back on and no start. Squirted fuel direct down the carb throat and it starts right up. I guess in 3 weeks I'll get back on it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well I guess I struck out then. But you have fuel in the bowl, and the jet is open. There is nothing else in the flow path except the main nozzle, and It would be mighty hard to plug that up.

Well a way out in left field guess....Wrong jet??? What is the number stamped on the side of it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well I guess I struck out then. But you have fuel in the bowl, and the jet is open. There is nothing else in the flow path except the main nozzle, and It would be mighty hard to plug that up.

Well a way out in left field guess....Wrong jet??? What is the number stamped on the side of it? Should be #40

chiefk

Cadet

Well a way out in left field guess....Wrong jet??? What is the number stamped on the side of it? Should be #40

I am not that sure that there is fuel in the bowl.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Like Frank asked, what was the number on the side of the hs jet? They need to be pulled out of the carb to properly clean, not just shoot carb cleaner into hole and compressed air. You will need the tool to pull it, or make one, if you done have one already. Try a blow test on the carb while it is off, before installing, to ensure needle is opening/seating as it should. Are you certain the float even floats? I drop them in fuel and ensure they do before installing. You should be able to hear the fuel filling the float bowl while priming it.

nwcove

Admiral

I am not that sure that there is fuel in the bowl.

how could you be not sure there is fuel in the bowl.....from reading this thread it seems as tho you've had the carb off and apart a few times? if there was fuel in the bowl you would definitely know it. maybe the float is in upside down.....jamming the needle shut?