1976 Johnson 35HP installing tell tale

dtrojcak

Cadet
I've searched on here, but I am unable to find anything for my specific outboard.

I want to install a tell tale on a 1976 Johnson 35hp outboard.
I'm fixing to replace the thermostat and was wondering if installing the elbow into the cover over or near the thermostat would be a good location.
I thought if this would be a good location, I'm going to have it off the motor during the thermostat install anyway, and it would be a good time to drill/tap the cover while it is not on the motor.

Is this a good place or is there a better/easier location?

Thanks

kbait

Commander
Re: 1976 Johnson 35HP installing tell tale

Here's a youtube vid of placement of elbow in thermostat cover: My Evenrude 6 hp repairs mods! - YouTube

Also, you want to put a restrictor nipple at the end of the hose, where it comes out of the lower cowling. OMC # 321885 nipple.jpg

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The parts book seems to show that the fitting / hose is already there on the exhaust cover.

dtrojcak

Cadet

Here's a youtube vid of placement of elbow in thermostat cover: My Evenrude 6 hp repairs mods! - YouTube

Also, you want to put a restrictor nipple at the end of the hose, where it comes out of the lower cowling. OMC # 321885 View attachment 223737
I've got the restrictor nipple and the plastic elbow on order already.
That video was not a 1976 Johnson 35HP and made me dizzy trying to watch it.
I have a general idea of how to do this from reading on here already. I just need to know the best place to drill and tap my specific motor.

dtrojcak

Cadet

The parts book seems to show that the fitting / hose is already there on the exhaust cover.

I noticed that when I ordered the elbow and the nipple.
Evidently Johnson must've started installing the tell tales sometime in 1976. My motor must be an early model and does not have one.

kbait

Commander

If your thermo cover is similar to the video the kid made, it should work there. If you want it tapped to exhaust cover, go to:
b o a t s . n e t
and part search a '77 35hp and note water elbow location on powerhead schematic for the exhaust cover.

dtrojcak

Cadet

If your thermo cover is similar to the video the kid made, it should work there. If you want it tapped to exhaust cover, go to:
b o a t s . n e t
and part search a '77 35hp and note water elbow location on powerhead schematic for the exhaust cover.

It actually shows the water elbow on the '76 35hp. The 1976 and 1977 schematics appear to be identical.
Apparently they started installing them later in '76. Mine must be an early model and doesn't have it.
It doesn't show where exactly the elbow goes though.
It appears to go on the exhaust cover, but I don't want to drill into an area that doesn't have enough clearance on the other side.
I'm going to replace the thermostat, so I'll have that cover off already.
Hopefully I can find a suitable place to install it on that cover.

dtrojcak

Cadet

Does anyone have a picture of a '77 or newer Johnson 2 cylinder 35hp or similar sized outboard with a factory installed tell tale installed?
I have a couple of places in mind, but would like to see where the factory installed it.
Or if anyone has added one to theirs. All the pics I could find are either 10hp or 70+hp.

Thanks

iwombat

Captain

Post a picture of your motor and I'll see if I can help you find a good place. High up on the exhaust cover is usually a safe bet.

Edit: looking at the diagram, it looks like there might be enough room to put one at the top of the cylinder right behind the head. That's where you can put one on the triples.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

well, throw me off of here but I never see the attraction of going through all that drilling and tapping, etc. for a tell tale if there's not one there. If there's water coming out of the port on the leg, and the top of the head isn't too hot to touch, why the need for a tell tale. It's likely to give an uneven stream or get some obstruction in the tube, or some other fool thing, and you will paddle home only to find the motor was fine all along.

there. I said it.....:) can't take it back.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Oldboat1, the reason for a tell tale stream is so the operator can quickly glance back and know the water pump system is working properly. So yes I do think installing one is important. JMHO though!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

nah. not convinced. He'll just worry whether the tell tale is working right.

dtrojcak

Cadet

Post a picture of your motor and I'll see if I can help you find a good place. High up on the exhaust cover is usually a safe bet.

Edit: looking at the diagram, it looks like there might be enough room to put one at the top of the cylinder right behind the head. That's where you can put one on the triples.
I'm thinking in one of the 3 circle areas.
I'd prefer to install it in the exhaust cover rather than in the block. If I screw up or it causes problems later, I would just need to get another cover. I'm concerned that the metal isn't thick enough though. How thick does it need to be to ensure that the elbow "grabs" enough and doesn't leak?
I'm thinking the bottom circle between the two bolts in the first picture is a good spot.
The exploded parts view shows the elbow in that general area, but I have yet to find a picture of that side of the motor with a tell tale installed.
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Last edited:

dtrojcak

Cadet

well, throw me off of here but I never see the attraction of going through all that drilling and tapping, etc. for a tell tale if there's not one there. If there's water coming out of the port on the leg, and the top of the head isn't too hot to touch, why the need for a tell tale. It's likely to give an uneven stream or get some obstruction in the tube, or some other fool thing, and you will paddle home only to find the motor was fine all along.

there. I said it.....:) can't take it back.
1. Because I can
2. Because I want to
3. If it's such a bad idea, why do all newer motors have them?
4. It's easy to look back and see water rather than looking behind the motor to look for spray, especially when running fast.
5. I don't plan on running it on the water with the cover removed, so it'll be difficult to put my hand on top of motor to check temperature.
6. If it gets an obstruction and quits peeing, then I can check for squirts behind the motor and/or take the cover off and feel the head.
7. If I look back and see water, then everything is fine. It's a quick, simple check that anyone on board can notice if it quits.

dtrojcak

Cadet

Oldboat1, the reason for a tell tale stream is so the operator can quickly glance back and know the water pump system is working properly. So yes I do think installing one is important. JMHO though!
Thank you for your advice and knowledge.

nah. not convinced. He'll just worry whether the tell tale is working right.
As opposed to worrying if water is pumping?

Why come on here and complain if you have no advice/answers to my questions?
If you don't want a tell tale, fine. I want one. Why should that bother you?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

ah, lighten up dtrojcak. Man the drill -- get after it!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

BTW -- Did you replace the impeller yet? Per earlier advice rec'd, you should be into some basic "first things first" maintenance on the cooling system, particularly if you think you have problems. You indicated the motor was stored for about a year, as I recall, but don't recall if you had any info on the history/use. If the motor overheated previously, it would be useful to know that going in. After you have done the basics to get the cooling system working as it should, you could start working on installation of a tell tale -- but really should do that on a motor you know to be operating correctly. It won't help diagnose preexisting cooling issues, and may just complicate issues if you are trying to figure out whether the motor is initially in good operating condition. If you haven't done so already, you should be running a compression check. Get a model-specific service manual for your motor, and a parts manual if you can come up with one. If this is a first motor, learn the basics first -- lots of advice here on the forum from people who have been doing it for years. I would say water pump first, along with t.stat if there is one, then run it in a tank a bit to make sure the cooling system is working, then proceed to carburetor and ignition issues as appropriate. In terms of cost (assuming you have manuals), I usually estimate in the range of $130 to $150 for parts. Maybe you are way ahead of this stuff. Good luck. Make it fun.

dtrojcak

Cadet

BTW -- Did you replace the impeller yet? Per earlier advice rec'd, you should be into some basic "first things first" maintenance on the cooling system, particularly if you think you have problems. You indicated the motor was stored for about a year, as I recall, but don't recall if you had any info on the history/use. If the motor overheated previously, it would be useful to know that going in. After you have done the basics to get the cooling system working as it should, you could start working on installation of a tell tale -- but really should do that on a motor you know to be operating correctly. It won't help diagnose preexisting cooling issues, and may just complicate issues if you are trying to figure out whether the motor is initially in good operating condition. If you haven't done so already, you should be running a compression check. Get a model-specific service manual for your motor, and a parts manual if you can come up with one. If this is a first motor, learn the basics first -- lots of advice here on the forum from people who have been doing it for years. I would say water pump first, along with t.stat if there is one, then run it in a tank a bit to make sure the cooling system is working, then proceed to carburetor and ignition issues as appropriate. In terms of cost (assuming you have manuals), I usually estimate in the range of $130 to $150 for parts. Maybe you are way ahead of this stuff. Good luck. Make it fun.
I have an impeller, thermostat, and year specific service manual on order, waiting for them to come in.
The impeller was trashed, only 2 of the 6 vanes were still intact.
It appears that all/most of the pieces couldn't fit inside the water tube and were lodged in the output of the water pump.
When I removed the thermostat, it was still able to function, but was covered in water scale.
I've taken off the exhaust cover and the cylinder head cover in order to see if any rubber pieces are lodged somewhere.
So far, I've found none, so hopefully everything was at the pump outlet, or they were flushed through the motor and out the exhaust.
I figured since I had both of these covers off already, now would be a good time to install a tell tale. If mounting it on one of these covers is a good location, I could drill and tap it while it was off the motor. This would eliminate any chance of damaging the motor by drilling into it and/or having metal shavings inside.

Before all this, the motor would run well, but would obviously run hot because of lack of water.
When first started, there would be a small spray of water coming out of the exhaust relief ports.
After about a minute or so, the water spray would stop and the motor would start to overheat.
I'm guessing when the thermostat opened, the water pump was too weak to pump into all of the "new" cavities.

Thanks for all the advice and I apologize for snapping at you.
I've been on several different forums covering various topics and have found there seems to be 3 types of people on them, ones who give great advice, ones who never answer questions or give advice, and ones who are always negative towards others.
Your post appeared to be from one of the negative people. I hope I was wrong, as it now appears you may be one of the great advice people.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

well, glad to hear I measure up. But you will find many more than three types of lister.

assume you have a good compression check before you pulled the head. As you know, that often determines what you have to work with.

Good luck.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I have an impeller, thermostat, and year specific service manual on order, waiting for them to come in.
It appears that all/most of the pieces couldn't fit inside the water tube and were lodged in the output of the water pump.
When I removed the thermostat, it was still able to function, but was covered in water scale.
I've taken off the exhaust cover and the cylinder head cover in order to see if any rubber pieces are lodged somewhere.
So far, I've found none, so hopefully everything was at the pump outlet, or they were flushed through the motor and out the exhaust.
I figured since I had both of these covers off already, now would be a good time to install a tell tale. If mounting it on one of these covers is a good location, I could drill and tap it while it was off the motor. This would eliminate any chance of damaging the motor by drilling into it and/or having metal shavings inside.

Before all this, the motor would run well, but would obviously run hot because of lack of water.
When first started, there would be a small spray of water coming out of the exhaust relief ports.
After about a minute or so, the water spray would stop and the motor would start to overheat.
I'm guessing when the thermostat opened, the water pump was too weak to pump into all of the "new" cavities.

I've been on several different forums covering various topics and have found there seems to be 3 types of people on them, ones who give great advice, ones who never answer questions or give advice, and ones who are always negative towards others.
Your post appeared to be from one of the negative people. I hope I was wrong, as it now appears you may be one of the great advice people.

I recently rebuilt an old 1976 40HP Johnson Outboard engine from the ground up. You can read that thread on here if you like @ 1976 Complete 40Hp Johnson rebuild. I installed a tell tale pee tube on my rebuild. However, seeing your pictures your engine is completely laid out different then mine. With that said, I use a 1/4 NPT tap and fitting (I bought on Evil Bay) so that as you thread the 90 degree brass (or whatever type) fitting you use, it will tighten the further you thread it in. Otherwise it would never stop threading in and be harder to seal. I also used white Teflon thread tape for the fitting for my seal. Not hard to do at all. I also used clear tubing from the brass fitting to the outlet on the lower cowling case. That way if the pee tube isn't peeing, I can quickly see if that tube is plugged. Dirt Dodders love little opening like that... Hope this helps you some.

:D