1992 johnson rectifier wiring

arw2000

Recruit
Hi, i am hoping someone can help me with wiring. I recently bought a 13ft Dory with a 30 hp johnson outboard manual start. The model number is BJ30BAENR, i believe this to be a 1992 with ac lighting. At some point someone has removed the rectifier. I have located the 3 wires coming from the stator, and i have purchased a rectifier and a terminal block. I wish to charge a battery from the engine, so my question is...how do i wire the rectifier, stator to the terminal block? also where in the engine do i connect the battery cables to? Wires on the rectifier are red and two brown.
Andy

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1992 johnson rectifier wiring

I would guess the two brown go to the stator and the red to the battery.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The wires coming from your stator should be yellow or yellow with a gray stripe or even yellow with a blue stripe. Attach the two brown wires from your new rectifier to both of those yellow wires (one brown to one yellow wire and the other brown to the other yellow wire). Then the red wire from the rectifier should go to your battery...

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A possible place for your battery ground - on my 15 hp, there is a threaded hole on the lower part of the bracket mount (don't know what it's called) in the pic. Look for the red arrow. Use a star washer.p1010044xx.jpg
After posting, you can't see the arrow, but it's the bracket just below the silencer.

arw2000

Recruit

Hey thank you all for your replies, i will check out the colours coming from stator a little later (after shopping).Also thank you for the pictures :)

arw2000

Recruit

The wires coming from your stator should be yellow or yellow with a gray stripe or even yellow with a blue stripe. Attach the two brown wires from your new rectifier to both of those yellow wires (one brown to one yellow wire and the other brown to the other yellow wire). Then the red wire from the rectifier should go to your battery...

Hi, thank you. The wire colours are yellow, yellow with blue stripe and a brown wire. I fully understand now how to connect the yellow wires, but what does the brown wire connect to from the stator?