mercury switch

clifweb

Recruit
I have a 1959 35hp evinrude lark and I'm wondering what is the purpose of the mercury switch, I see a diagram that refers to it as a safety switch. Thanks clifweb

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury switch

I believe the 1959 had the dual mercury switch, right? One section keeps you from running the electric starter at high throttle settings, and the other section disables the vacuum cut-out switch at high throttle settings.

"Safety"----yes, if you were to start it in gear, at fast throttle, it would take off and run over the dock......or somebody. That would be a tad unsafe.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I can remember last summer happening upon a family in a boat floating around the lake. The father was desperately trying to start his motor. I believe it was a 58 Lark. He was getting nothing from the key.

Floated around the rear of his boat, and from mine gave the mercury switch a tap with my finger towards horizontal. Motor fired right up.

The kids started yelling that I was a magician, and for the rest of the summer called me the wizard. LOL kids are funny.

I thought the name was cool, my wife thought I was an idiot. She wouldnt call me the wizard.

I have seen starter solenoids replaced needlessly due to the owner thinking it was shot, when in fact the mercury switch was simply bent off horizontal or faulty.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'd like to own stock in the solenoid factory. Most of them are replaced needlessly. And when they do replace them, they use a car solenoid, which will instantly burn the wire off the mercury switch. Maybe I should buy stock in the switch factory too?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I sometimes wonder if anybody knows how to check out a solenoid. All it takes is a couple of jumper wires, a 12 volt battery and an ohmmeter. You can do this on or off the mtr.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

How could Ole Evinrude have installed a Mercury switch on an Evinrude. It doesn't seem right, somehow.