Evinrude 18hp petrol oil ratio

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,i have a 1970 evinrude 18hp,i have been using 50:1 petrol oil ratio,but it seems to emit a lot of smoke.Is this the right ratio,any help much appreciated.Regards Phil

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Evinrude 18hp petrol oil ratio

Hi, Phil, 50:1 is the correct fuel/oil mix for your motor. There may be other things such as a leaking fuel pump diaphragm, problems with the carburetor float/needle, or even ign issues that could cause your motor to smoke a lot. I take it you're talking about blue smoke, ?yes?

Other than the smoking, how does it run? Have you run it out on the water, or just in a barrel or on a flusher? If you're running at home in a barrel/bucket, it may seem like there's a lot of smoke, that's usually just because the smoke doesn't dissipate well. Out on the water, your exhaust is buried in the water, and behind you as you're underway.

If it's smoking so badly that you're fouling plugs or it won't idle well, you may indeed have issues.

First I'd try adjusting the idle mixture for a smooth idle. You may need to pull the motor hood and disconnect the remote operating rod from the plastic link on the idle mixture needle, to get more adjusting range. If the needle is screwed way too far out (counter-clockwise), it'd make the motor run very rich and smoke. If you undo the op-rod, you can screw the idle mixture needle all the way in (clockwise) and lightly seat the needle. Count the turns and they should be somewhere around 1-1/2 to 2 turns ccw from the lightly-seated position.

Anyway, that's probably enough for an opening salvo!

If you'll give us a bit of feedback on other symptoms (if any), we should be able to help you pipoint your smoking issue.............ed

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Ed,Thanks for the prompt reply,i have been running it in a bin so that makes sense,i just wanted to be sure on the ratio, as a dealer told me it it could be the wrong,although the engine does need work as it can be a pain to start,seems to be run ok when it does start.Regards Phil

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Make sure that you are running the correct oil.
Just "two-stroke" or "two-cycle" description is not enough.
It needs to specifically say "TWC-3" or TWC-III"

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure that you are running the correct oil.
Just "two-stroke" or "two-cycle" description is not enough.
It needs to specifically say "TWC-3" or TWC-III"

Thanks Tim,yes i do use TWC oil.Regards Phil

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep your eye on this forum Phil,everything you will ever need to know about outboards is here.
Geoffwga1

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Great to have another member from across the Pond. We seem to have quite a few now. Here are some links to vids of motors similar to yours so you'll have some idea what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5Y8FRjVyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM_JGQn4wbE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC0KUsfed_Q&feature=related

Hi,Many thanks for that,The reason i joined this forum was because of the helpfulness i always get from you folks over there,the forums over here can be very sarcastic,with the well if you don't know i'm not telling you attitude,not by all but by a large majority,Rather sad but that seems to be the way of things over here nowadays.Good links by the way.Kind Regards Phil

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Keep your eye on this forum Phil,everything you will ever need to know about outboards is here.
Geoffwga1

Hi Geoff,Yes it's a very good forum,and it's been very informative on a couple of issues i've had.I also notice your an ex cornish resident,i'll be there next week for a few days fishing!Kind Regards Phil

slate1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi scimitar I find the same thing in uk forums unless you have a 150k boat or 200hp engine they dont want to know you, I have had some great advice and fun on here,
slate

kfa4303

Banned

Ask as many questions as you like. We're glad to have y'all here no matter what the other forums may say :) Half the fun of these vintage motors is their ingenious, rugged design and the fact that virtually anyone can fix virtually anything on them, which is also a bit of a necessity as many shops can't/won't work on older motors anyway. Besides, there's nothing better than firing up your neat little old motor in 1-2 pulls while the other guy with the big fancy +100 hp motor is left dock scratching his head when his motor won't start. I just smile and wave as I put-put into the sunset :) Cheers!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats scimitar. Yes, you have come to the right place. Iboats is probably the best forum I have ever been a member of. Those old 18 Johny/Rudes are about the top best OMC's, in my oppinion. I like the old blue and white clamshell covered models, from 57/58, myself. All of the models are good reliable runners though.

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Ask as many questions as you like. We're glad to have y'all here no matter what the other forums may say :) Half the fun of these vintage motors is their ingenious, rugged design and the fact that virtually anyone can fix virtually anything on them, which is also a bit of a necessity as many shops can't/won't work on older motors anyway. Besides, there's nothing better than firing up your neat little old motor in 1-2 pulls while the other guy with the big fancy +100 hp motor is left dock scratching his head when his motor won't start. I just smile and wave as I put-put into the sunset :) Cheers!

Hi,Many thanks for that,yes i know where you're coming from,i restore classic cars and bikes,so a classic outboard seems right.I also know where you're coming from with leaving people at the jetty,i've had some good old 20-30' boats over the years with old diesel engines fitted,properly maintained and fully reliable,not very fast, but plod on all day out to the fishing marks,while the big flash all singing and all dancing full of expensive electronics won't start,always brings a small smile to my face when it's someone who's always bragging about what they've got.Regards Phil

scimitar858

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,Many thanks for that,yes i know where you're coming from,i restore classic cars and bikes,so a classic outboard seems right.I also know where you're coming from with leaving people at the jetty,i've had some good old 20-30' boats over the years with old diesel engines fitted,properly maintained and fully reliable,not very fast, but plod on all day out to the fishing marks,while the big flash all singing and all dancing full of expensive electronics won't start,always brings a small smile to my face when it's someone who's always bragging about what they've got.Regards Phil

Fishing4Walleyes

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,Many thanks for that,The reason i joined this forum was because of the helpfulness i always get from you folks over there,the forums over here can be very sarcastic,with the well if you don't know i'm not telling you attitude,not by all but by a large majority,Rather sad but that seems to be the way of things over here nowadays.Good links by the way.Kind Regards Phil

I have found that the attitude you've described there is not limited to the Brits' participation in a boating forum (no offense intended). Not that there couldn't maybe be similar attitudes from us here in the USA

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Oh, there is the occasional "dust-up" in here...and a few hot-button topics that are guaranteed to liven things up... :)
Ethanol fuel, regular oil vs synthetic, etc.

kfa4303

Banned

......tinny vs. fiberglass, 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke, football (the real kind, not that silly game people play elsewhere in the world. Soccer is it?), toe-may-toe vs. toe-mah-toe, etc........ All in good fun.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Why do people get it in their heads that if 50:1, the recomended ratio, is good, then more oil is better? Bearing that are running smoothly with the proper amount of oil will not run smoother with more oil. One of the reasons OMC switched to 50:1 was the engines didn't NEED as much oil as previously thought. It was discovered, that with the reduced oil levels, preignition problems in the engines were greatly reduced. Fact is these engines will run perfectly fine on mixtures even leaner than 50:1. Muculloch started using 100:1 in the early/mid 1960s. OMC did it in the late 1980s, for a couple of years, but reverted back to 50:1, not because of engine failures but there wasn't enough residule oil coating internal bearing surfaces to protect against corrosion during long term storage, where owners fail to winterize their motors.