How to reattach interior panels in bow?

snake91876

Petty Officer 1st Class
Removed interior panels from the sides up in the bow of my boat. I pulled them
off easily cause the wood was rotted. Ground remaining screw heads off. Just got them back from the upholsterer and realize there is no access to screw them back on from the back. How can i attach them to the side walls again. Thanks, Matt

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to reattach interior panels in bow?

It's hard for us to give you answers without pictures! What kind of boat, what kind of panels and where exactly in the bow? You can TELL us all of this information, but you'd still be relying on our imaginations, so pictures would be the BEST way to get an accurate and helpful answer...

Having said that, I'll give you my guess at what you can do...

What about the snaps (button-snaps)... with straps if needed or Velcro? You could drill 4" or 6" access holes but it's doubtful you've got room to use a drill back there.

See what I mean? Pictures would help a LOT! Looking forward to them!

Duke

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the same issue, although I haven't pulled mine off yet. I figured I'd just glue 'em when I get to that point I guess. Velcro might be better.

bzajdek

Seaman

I am having the same problem with my 1985 mach 1 eclipse bowrider. I removed the cushions in the bow(the ones that support your back) and the plywood was rotted. I made new plywood templates sealed with helmsman spar urethane reused foam and purchased new 30 oz. marine vinyl. After i recover them I might use the plastic anchors for use in concrete, they have many rings of plastic and they can be pushed in a drilled hole and not to easily removed(there is no access to behind the fiberglass hull. I am worried about wind and rough riding. I assume I will need to make a paper or cardboard template with 4 holes and transfer markings from the seat backs to the fiberglass so everything will match up. Let me know if anyone has a better idea. I also have 2 rear seats on the sides of the transom splashwell that have aluminum L type brackets and there are two 2" holes drilled into the plywood backs, you just position above the brackets and push down. I am very open to other ideas as I have not covered in my new vinyl YET!

jspano

I also have 2 rear seats on the sides of the transom splashwell that have aluminum L type brackets and there are two 2" holes drilled into the plywood backs, you just position above the brackets and push down. I am very open to other ideas as I have not covered in my new vinyl YET!

that is how my back rest for the jump seat/ bait well is attached to the front of my center console. i like it cause there's a larger hole in the middle which gives me fast access to some electronics. has anyone thought of velcro strips?

bzajdek

Seaman

It might work, but I am seriously worried they will come apart with wind or rough water, the backs are about 2" above the bases so they are not really supported from the bottom either and with the wood they are somewhat heavy for velcro.

jspano

the brackets are loose to start with but as you push the cushion down into place they wedge down and are very snugge. i've been in the gulf of mexico in some very snotty weather without a problem. you could always do both brackets and velcro