part from a 2000 60hp evinrude. what is it?

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
can someone help identify this part for me is it a rectifier or regulator or both??

IMG00162.jpg

thanks guys

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: part from a 2000 60hp evinrude. what is it?

that is the same as my rectifier from a 1995 model for sure

dont think a 2000 model is anything like that.

did the rev counter work ok before taken off the engine ?

if yes is it for sale and how much.

my rev counter aint working and looks like a need another rectifier:mad:

phill:)

phillnjack2

Ensign

The part numbers from BRP list your item as this

0585001 - RECT/REG AY,4/12A

so that makes it a regulator /rectifier.

and the year 2000 is the same part as on my 1995 60hp.

we learn something every day.

phill

fishfeatures

have the regular rectifier (small cylindrical one ) on my 1996 but due to my set of gauges getting blown all at once
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=574820
i'm trying to solve the puzzle as to why, before I put in new gauges.
Slivertip said I may need a regulator , my motor never had one so am wondering why your '95 had and if this is one...I think you are saying yes it is am i correct??

oh yeah Phillnjack2 ... nope don't have a working rev counter but you can have a dud one :D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I suggested that you need a regulator IF the system voltage is regularly above 16 volts. I repeat -- if a voltmeter is calibrated to 18 volts and 16 volts fries it. was that the real problem?? I don't think it was. JonnyRude engines of that era were available with or without power trim systems and with or without oil injection. If they had power trim the engine likely had a 12 amp charging system that would include a rectifier/regulator as you picture. If the engine did not have power trim it likely had a 6 amp charging system and just a rectifier.

fishfeatures

I suggested that you need a regulator IF the system voltage is regularly above 16 volts. I repeat -- if a voltmeter is calibrated to 18 volts and 16 volts fries it. was that the real problem?? I don't think it was. JonnyRude engines of that era were available with or without power trim systems and with or without oil injection. If they had power trim the engine likely had a 12 amp charging system that would include a rectifier/regulator as you picture. If the engine did not have power trim it likely had a 6 amp charging system and just a rectifier.

Silvertip, i never doubt your knowledge and it is definitely welcomed ... the Evinrude that was my donor had no t&t but did have what i pictured.. I was going to post on the other thread but was out earlier and yes the voltage does hit 16+ at wot .. so i guess i do need a regulator/rectifier which i'm hoping this part is as it does have a grey wire out of it.
Now my original 1990 60hp had no t&t but i added one ,would this be an issue??? The evinrude (donor) although with no T&T had the regulator ....both had disconnected VRO's when being used. I think I need a regulator...!

phillnjack2

Ensign

if your engine is a 3 cylinder and it was built from 1995 onwards it definitely should have the one pictured.
whether with or without power trim that is the regulator/rectifier for that engine.
there is NO other part number listed for a regulator rectifier from 1995.

Ive got 2 engines both 1995 60hp and both have this regulator/rectifier.
and here is the parts page that even states the regulator is the one pictured and its not even on a power trim model.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Ignition+System.

this page is the power trim model, and still looks identical, and just happens to be the same part number.....
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Ignition+System.

if youve got a 1996 60hp evinrude with a different rectifier than the one pictured then you have a very wierd engine.
1996 should have the one pictured, there was NO 60hp evinrude made with the old small cylinder type in 1996.
it could be on a 1990 model but not a 1996 from the parts list numbers.

I also have no rev counter and no charging at the moment, but think its a bit more than simply rectifier/regulator.

here is a pic of my 1995 60hp engine
14102012(006).jpg

phill ...:cool: