Evinrude Fisherman 6HP help please

Mikemgs

Cadet
Hi,
I'm new, I'm new to this forum and boats and outboards and I have very little idea about what I've gotten into!!
My 14 year old son decided for his birthdayhe would like a rib boat with an outboard engine after his friend took him out on one, so after a little bit of eBay action he is now the proud owner of a Zodiac rib and an Evinrude Fisherman 6HP outboard.
The problem is, the engine takes an age to start, I mean 10-15 pulls before it will fire up. Once it's running its a little juddery and will not idle, it stalls if you let the revs drop down too much but does push his rib along quite nicely once its warmed up. The model number on the plate is 62025 C 57944, after reading a bit on these forums I think it's a '72. I would love to replace the point's and plugs and give it a general service but I have no idea where to source the parts from in the UK and I want to make sure I order the correct bit's. Also, is it worth stripping it down to clean the carb and stuff?
Thanks for any help
Mike

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude Fisherman 6HP help please

Could you recheck your model number, a 6202D is a 1972 6hp.
Great little engine you have there, with a little TLC, they will last forever.
To start you need to check the compession and spark to get a base line of the health of the engine.
It does sound like you have a carb problem and should give it a good cleaning, including the passages under the core plug on top of the carb.
Below is a parts breakdown for your engine, you can at least look up the parts numbers and then source them where you are.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

Mikemgs

Cadet

That's great, cheers for the link! I'll get my boy to re check the number on the plate and let you know. I'll do a compression check at the weekend.

Mikemgs

Cadet

Just a quick update - it was 6202D C 57944

Rick.

Captain

If compression is good, you really should try to get an OMC service manual for it. I get them off ebay mostly. I just bought a 68 fisherman this summer but have not had much time to work on it yet. Here is a link I hope you will find useful. You need to scroll down a fair way until you see the 6hp article. Best of luck. Rick.
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/

Mikemgs

Cadet

Another great link. Thanks, I've printed that off at work (shhhhhhh). I'm really looking forward to tinkering about with this little engine!

Mikemgs

Cadet

Come across a small problem, I have ordered the breaker points, condensor's and plugs, but I forgot about the flywheel puller, and I cannot find one anywhere. I would make one up, but I would need to know the bolt size for the puller. Any ideas?

emoney

Commander

You want to clean that carb out really good too, as it will make a big difference in ease of starting. Great little motors. I've got a teeny little 2hp Evinrude, mid 70s that I have for my dinghy and the dang thing is hard to kill, lol. I've dropped it to the bottom of the swimming pool, had it get bumped of the stand in the garage and who knows what else. Little booger just keeps on ticking. Should've named it "Timex".

Mikemgs

Cadet

Quick update, compression is 80psi on both cylinders, I've changed the points plugs and condensers and it's still taking 10 times or so to start from cold.
It runs ok once started, although I have to have the throttle lined up just over the start mark to keep her chugging. I'm thinking of stripping down the carb as the next job, giving it a good soak in carb cleaner and trying to sort out the idle mix.
Also, I tried to torque the flywheel back on to 40 ft/lbs but it seems really tight, and I couldn't hold the flywheel still and torque it that much. I tightened it as much as I possibly could while gripping the flywheel with my arm, and it's on tight. Is this ok?

Cheers guys.
Mike.

AlTn

Commander

that f/w nut does need to be torqued to 40 ft/lbs...try using a strap wrench to hold the f/w...concerning the carb, the orfice plug < main jet > needs to be super clean which may require running a few strands of copper wire twisted together used as a rod to physically degunk the bore < do not enlarge the jet size while doing this >.

With the carb body and carb bowl separated looking at the outer mating surfaces, note that there'll be 1 hole extending upward into the carb body which isn't threaded and doesn't receive a screw. That's the passage up to the idle circuit. Remove the mixture needle, retainer, and core plug < if you get the rebuild kit >. Make certain you clean that passage and the 3 tiny holes that enter the carb throat at or behind the throttle valve < butterfly >. Each hole should yield a nice spray pattern. Examine the mixture needle taper for uniformity, no bands or bent tip.

Back together and on, do the link and sync procedure. Next start with the mixture needle 1 1/2 turns out from a light seat. Adjust the idle with the motor warm, in gear and pushing the boat. With the ignition system, compression, and carb functioning as they should, that 6 hp. will idle smoothly at really low rpms.

Mikemgs

Cadet

More problems. Got a strap wrench and torqued the flywheel down to 40ft/lbs, put the engine on its stand and in a bucket of water, was gonna give her a little test run. My son noticed the throttle wouldnt turn to the start mark, and was really stiff, I had a little look and thought it might ease up if we started it. Gave it a couple of pulls but nothing. Took the cover off and noticed one of the ht leads had snapped right under the timing plate.
What have I done to it? It's my boys birthday present and at the moment I feel like a total idiot.

AlTn

Commander

no big deal..pull the flywheel...pull the magneto plate and replace the ignition wires < 7 mm hypalon solid core ~$1.50 /ft. at the dealer , may be cheaper elsewhere >..take pics as you disassemble things.. check out leeroysramblings.com outboard motor related articles..6 hp....as well as the Top Secret Files to get a good overview of what's involved and how to proceed < it's under the universal magneto troubleshooting section >..I'd suggest you replace the terminal ends and boots as well

Mikemgs

Cadet

Right, thanks guys, blind panic over. I pulled the timing plate to find the ht lead hadn't snapped, just pulled off the coil, thank goodness.
I sorted that out fairly easily and thought I'd double check everything before putting the flywheel back on, and noticed one of the points wasn't opening when I turned the crank. It seems like the little cork bit that rubs the crank when turned had broken/worn down. I managed to reseat the points and get the gap to 0.20 just about, so new points on order.
I followed the instruction on leeroys site to remove and clean the carb, really satisfying and rewarding little job. The bottom bowl was a little cruddy and the float was a bit mucky but they cleaned up great. I blew carb cleaner through every hole I could without removing the buttetflys, tool the idle mix needle bar thing out, blew carb cleaner through that and let it soak for a few hours.
Replaced the lot, put her in a bin full of water and she started on the 3rd pull. Running but still not idling properly without juddering to a halt if I turn the throttle anywhere near the shift mark. I did reseat the needle as explained, to a soft seat then back 1 and a half turns so I'm a bit lost, the main thing is she's running.
She will caugh on low revs on occasion and I'm thinking that could be the points issue I described. I'll sort that out.
Another quick thing, on the top cover of the flywheel is written "set" now this must be to set the points gap, but how can you line that up and adjust the gap with it on, or am I being stupid. I used the little notchy thing on the driveshaft to set the gap.
Cheers for all the help so far guys. Hope I'm not being a pain!
Mike.

Edit: just read that link to the ignition walk through. That's really helpful. Thanks a lot for that.

Last edited:

Rick.

Captain

Glad to hear your going forward. That cough could be what's called a "lean sneeze". Try opening your slow speed needle about 1/8th of a turn at a time and see if it clears up. If your bowl was cruddy I would expect your passages were too. Rick.

Mikemgs

Cadet

Cheers Rick, other than the near heart attack the ht leads gave me yesterday I'm really enjoying playing with this little engine. I won't be able to take it on the river till the weekend for a proper in gear test, but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to everyone who has helped. This forum has been a godsend.

Mikemgs

Cadet

Quick update, took the boy and the boat out this afternoon, started on the first pull, idles beautifully and seems to run faster. He couldn't be happier.
Thanks for all the help!!

kfa4303

Banned

sweeeeeet :) vroom vroom! we love pics ;)

Rick.

Captain

Great for you and your son. Question back to you now. When you turn the throttle down does it eventually die on you or does it idle at the slowest throttle setting? Mine dies and was just wondering if that is normal. Rick.