1954 Evinrude 7.5 hp Fleetwin

snowstorm

Recruit
The large Hi Speed fuel mixture adjusting knob continually vibrates off its setting during operation. I've tightened the packing nut on the shaft but it still moves. Any tricks I'm not seeing ?? Otherwise the motor runs great.

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 1954 Evinrude 7.5 hp Fleetwin

The large Hi Speed fuel mixture adjusting knob continually vibrates off its setting during operation. I've tightened the packing nut on the shaft but it still moves. Any tricks I'm not seeing ?? Otherwise the motor runs great.

Welcome to Iboats.

When is the last time the carb has been rebuilt? I ask this because the packing may be spent, and not capable of expanding enough to hold the needle.

Two options for this, you can either go with a complete carb kit, and rebuild it.
Or, since it runs fine, you can get the packing separately for the carb;
http://www.vintageoutboard.com/

Click on "Johnson Evinrude Parts" on the left. Then click on "Fuel System Repair Parts" in the center. You are looking for item # 307583K, located a scroll down.

Or..

OMC/BRP part number 307583 MAY work.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, bottom line is that the packings and packing nut are what keeps the needle from rotating from vibration. If tightening the nut doesn't help, you need to replace the packings.

snowstorm

Recruit

Thank You for the advice.

Is this as simple as removing the knob and packing nut to gain access for packing removal /replacement ??

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep, it's that simple. I've used cotton thread, lightly greased to make it stick to the shaft, as an impromptu packing material. Several wraps around the shaft clockwise and it'll work just fine. Clockwise wrapping means it won't unwrap when you tighten the packing nut on it...