1972 85hp Evinrude steering

s.cummings

Cadet
Hi I bought a boat last yaer and a motor this year the boat has a single rod for steering and the motor was setup with cables. Can I convert the motor to the rod type there is no hole for the rod to mount to for the stationary side and there is nothing to mount for the swivel to steering is there a mounting kit I need to get here are some pics of motor and cable.

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 85hp Evinrude steering

You have to use a transom mount to hold the outer cable. It is a tube similar to the one that normally goes through the motor, but mounts to the transom. The job is completed with a rod end kit, a swivel assembly that connects the end of the cable to the steering arm. That stuff is available here at iboats.

One possible problem: Pulling the cable back to go through the transom mount generally means it will be too long. Putting a big curve or sag in the cable makes it hard to steer. You may have to buy a new, shorter cable.

s.cummings

Cadet

is Part # SA27256P the part I am looking for
Do I also need this SLA-940F

F_R

Supreme Mariner

SA27256P, yes
SLA-940F, no. It is not used with a transom mount setup. The clevis (I called it a rod end) is included in the kit, and attaches the cable end to the steering arm where a bolt is now showing in your picture.

is Part # SA27256P the part I am looking for
Do I also need this SLA-940F

Haffiman

Commander

Here a pic of the set-up:
8_CamoWhaler13Transom.jpg

s.cummings

Cadet

Sorry I dont see the pic of the setup maybe you post a link to it again

s.cummings

Cadet

Great thanks I had to copy and paste then remove the last part of the of it so it looked like http://continuouswave.com/sail-logs/ottawaRiver2006/images/
then I had to find the part pic that said 8_CamoWhaler13Transom.jpg but i did and thank you very much

I have now ordered the mount kit but I can see for sure the cable I have is way to long so now my question is for this type of transom mount do i measure from the center of my steering wheel to the side of the boat to the end of the boat and then fially to the center of the motor add them up and get cable that length if so 13 ft is it

s.cummings

Cadet

So if I take the on that is in boat now and subtract a foot because it looks like the last one screwwed right into the side of the motor
Now I guess it would be easier to remove old one and take into marina and let them measure eh or if I take out lod one is it just from one end to other retrackted

And hey I can now see pic it was saying that sending link directly to pic eats band width please send link to hltm and that ws all it would do

Haffiman

Commander

You may have a Script Blocker or similar installed that prevents you from following links or getting pics displayed.
As for cable length, align the old cable without attaching to engine, mark out(on the old cable) where you want to put the bracket, that should give you an idea about the length of the new cable.
Or: align the old cable, put steering in center.
Center the engine.
Make a mark on the old cable (you need 1-2" for the clevis attachment) the end point of the new cable when steering centered.

s.cummings

Cadet

great thanks will do
No script blocker it was continuous wave dot com blocking it they say it takes up band width but now I see the pics
wierd or what

Haffiman

Commander

Perhaps related to the power cut-out due to the storm in US?? Quite some pages have reduced access or are completely in-accessable.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Measuring the cable is futile because they are not measured end to end. If you want to get it right, take the old one in and get one a foot shorter. They come in 1 ft increments. Sometimes they are marked as to length at the aft end, on the plastic. That does make it easier.

s.cummings

Cadet

Great will pull cable today and take it in on tuesday as this weekend is the Canada Day long weekend

s.cummings

Cadet
Re: 1972 85hp Evinrude steering to remote control

Ok picked up new cable started to wire up the controls the throttle cable is missing so it i buy throttle cable does it come with everything you need inside the remote control or is that all sold seperatly would it be easeir to buy new remote control if so where would i pick one up in ontario
there is a piece inside the remote on the bottom of the throttle lever that has a pin sticking out of it i dont know if the guy cut the cable or not but i think before i buy any more parts i am going to put some gas in it and wire the coil up and just see if it runs as i have not seen it run just took the guys word for it

s.cummings

Cadet

Just wanted to update ya all she is up and running and steering like a charm