Johnson 1985 8hp lower unit removal

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello,

I am trying to remove the lower unit so I can do maintenance and change the water pump. It is extremely hard to get off. Attached a picture on how far I get it off (approximately 2 cm) - I have also set the motor upside down and sprayed quite some crc spray in the area where the shafts are hoping it will loosen things up - I have read there is no other way than to be decisive and hammer it off.

Is that the only way or any other good advice that could help me?

thanks in advance for reply.

Attachments

• johnson8hp1985.jpg
    johnson8hp1985.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson 1985 8hp lower unit removal

Did u take out the bolt that connects the shifter linkage to the shift rod? Generally it's under the cowl right below the powerhead. NO!....do not force it off! :)

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thx for reply sasada

No I did not take out a bolt that connects the shifter linkage to the shift rod. I am not sure my engine has that?

BTW model nr is BJ8BACOB

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thx for reply sasada

No I did not take out a bolt that connects the shifter linkage to the shift rod. I am not sure my engine has that?

BTW model nr is BJ8BACOB

Yes...im about 99.99% sure yours has that. Otherwise how would the shifter connect to that rod and pull it up or push it down??? Its an honest mistake but you have probably been tugging on that lower unit the whole time with that bolt holding the shift rod to the linkage the whole time! :) Put a bolt or two back into the lower unit and release the pressure on the shifter....then shift the unit back and forth forward-reverse....look under the power head and likely on the port side of the motor there is a bolt connecting the shifter to the shift rod (shift rod stays with the lower unit)....remove that bolt...then take out the bolts that you just put back in to hold the lower unit on and it should come right off.

PS....Update us! :)

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I have looked at the motor but can no where find the linkage. I can not find what I would be able to dismount.

Attached to pics from both left and right side of the outboard under the cowl.

appreciate any further advice

Attachments

• ringht.jpg
    ringht.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral

there should be no linkage for that shift rod. i put an impeller in a 1985 johnson 6 last night, ( j6rcob), and those motors should be virtually identical except for the intake/exhaust. ( actually have a complete lower unit from another 1985 6hp , they just pull out.....your driveshaft must be siezed into the crank)

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I have looked at the motor but can no where find the linkage. I can not find what I would be able to dismount.

Attached to pics from both left and right side of the outboard under the cowl.

Okay...take the cowl off. Look Under your cylinder jugs but above the bottom of the motor enclosure. The bolt is inside the motor enclosure. With the engine cover/cowl off shift the engine back n forth(forward-reverse) the rod going into the side of the motor should be lifting a lever up and down that lever inside the motor enclosure below the power head is attached to the lower unit shift rod via a bolt...that bolt needs to come out. Sorry best I can explain via an iPad.

nwcove

Admiral

!!! dont unbolt anything under the cowl, it wont help. (just remembered putting a new/used lower on an 1989/90 8hp about two months ago...the lowers from the 6 to the 8 from the 1980's are interchangeable both the motors i worked on were short shafts, and the lower unit just slid right out)

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

!!! dont unbolt anything under the cowl, it wont help. (just remembered putting a new/used lower on an 1989/90 8hp about two months ago...the lowers from the 6 to the 8 from the 1980's are interchangeable both the motors i worked on were short shafts, and the lower unit just slid right out)

If that is the case DON'T listen to me!!! Best regards :)

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there should be no linkage for that shift rod. i put an impeller in a 1985 johnson 6 last night, ( j6rcob), and those motors should be virtually identical except for the intake/exhaust. ( actually have a complete lower unit from another 1985 6hp , they just pull out.....your driveshaft must be siezed into the crank)

thx for reply nwcove

I looked at this page http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1985&hp=6&model=J6RCOB&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase and it seems to be exact the same as my 8 hp outboard.

The lower unit is approx 2 cm down and i can slightly move the lower unit up and down for approx 5 mm - also back and forth and to the sides - when I push the lower unit up (approx 5 mm) and turn the flywheel the prop will move round - when I let the lower unit hang by itself the prop will not got round - the gear shifter is not meeting any resistance, can feel it is without function now, so I guess the shift rod is not connected anymore.

answer to sasada as well: guess there is no such linkage for my engine - see more information in this post

nwcove

Admiral

how much force did you use when trying to get it to separate? im guessing your in canada or across the pond?....saltwater motor? if the shaft is siezed into the crank its hard to get any penetrating oil to the splines as there is a seal on the bottom of the powerhead.

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used a hammer with a piece of wood on the horizontal plate just above the prop. with a bit force the lower unit came down to where it is now - the engine is used in saltwater / norway.

But does it mean anything that when I lift up the lower unit and turn the flywheel the prop moves - and when I let it hang the prop does not move? It seems the whole thing is loose in a way but I just cannot get it off. Also the gear shifting rod seems rather looses.

when I move the lower unit a bit back and forth I think it is balancing around the main shaft (not gear shifting rod)

nwcove

Admiral

sounds like the driveshaft may have pulled out of the pinion gear , but is staying stuck in the crank. is there enough space to get at the four bolts that hold the impeller housing on? if its possible you "may" be able to unbolt them, and remove the lower unit with the shaft still attached to the crank, and work it from there?

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know if it would make a bit of difference but the manual says to shift the motor into forward gear before dropping the lower unit.

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thx for reply ryoung

when I lift up the lower unit and turn the flywheel in the normal direction the prop goes backwards - guess it is in reverse gear now, but I do not know if it makes a difference - maybe I should try to force the lower unit on again and put in forward gear?

will the gear shift rod and main shaft go in place by itself when I force the lower unit on again?

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like the driveshaft may have pulled out of the pinion gear , but is staying stuck in the crank. is there enough space to get at the four bolts that hold the impeller housing on? if its possible you "may" be able to unbolt them, and remove the lower unit with the shaft still attached to the crank, and work it from there?

I tried to do this now but unfortunately there is not that much space - I can see the four bolts but the top of the bolts are approx same level as bottom of the unit above the lower unit (if you understand what I mean :) )

nwcove

Admiral

i do remove the lowers in neutral, only difference is having to turn the flywheel a bit, instead of the prop to get the splines to line up. i do know what you mean by not enough space to get a wrench in there. i looked at the lower i have, and it looks like it would have to drop 6 or 7 cm to get a wrench on the top bolts . im not sure where to point you on this one! i re-looked at the marineengine view of the lower unit, and the driveshaft should pull out on that end. ( cant see anything that would hold it in and i can pull the shaft out of the spare i have...with the impeller and housing removed.) if your motor still has the nylon impeller pin, you may be able to gently shear it by evenly tapping down on the lower unit, and having more patience than i can dream of.

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK everyone, and hello again,

thought I would give an update on this issue....

after having had this motor lying in the basement for more than 5 years I thought I would finally get around to find out what the problem is. nwcove is right, the driveshaft was stuck in the crank - I ended up taking the whole engine apart, cutting off the driveshaft below with a metalcutter and pull out the shaft over the top of the engine. Had to use 7-8 minutes with heating to get it loose from the crank case. The motor is not useable anymore, but I had to find out what the prob was . So I have a lot of spare parts now :).

Lesson: for your own sake remember to lube the driveshaft on the sides where it goes in the crankcase (not on the top to avoid hydrolock) everytime you have it off for impeller change or other occasions!