1952-53 johnson 5hp seahorse tn-28

newboatguy12

Cadet
i bought my first boat just a 13ft john boat with a 5 hp seahorse guy said it hadn't been started in few years. I drained gas tank took carb apart cleaned it, got new plugs motor has good spark. Now i wana inspect lower part of motor and the water pump but have no idea what im looking for. I know there is some oil i need to change down around the propeller?. Any advice or any kind of shop manual, repair manual, or just someone to point me in right direction wood be very much appericated thank you

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1952-53 johnson 5hp seahorse tn-28

The gear oil is what you are referring to. There are 2 slotted screws, the lower (drain( and the upper (vent). Put a pan under the motor, remove the screws, let it drain. Then refill from the bottom (drain) hole until oil exits the upper (vent) hole. Put vent screw in with new crush washer, remove pump from drain hole and reinsert drain screw with new crush washer. All done.

If you are looking for an impeller, message F_R on this forum, he sells them.

nwcove: I was wondering the same thing, noticed a couple days ago, too bad, it was an invaluable site for the TN/HD/TD motor owners.

newboatguy12

Cadet

The gear oil is what you are referring to. There are 2 slotted screws, the lower (drain( and the upper (vent). Put a pan under the motor, remove the screws, let it drain. Then refill from the bottom (drain) hole until oil exits the upper (vent) hole. Put vent screw in with new crush washer, remove pump from drain hole and reinsert drain screw with new crush washer. All done.

nwcove: I was wondering the same thing, noticed a couple days ago, too bad, it was an invaluable site for the TN/HD/TD motor owners.

thank you everyone for resopnding to my questions any more or any other drawings or tips on gettin my motor goin will help and be greatly appericated

nwcove

Admiral

had the biglure site bookmarked for the resto on the tn-26 i have......it was/is?, a very good source of info for that series of motors...hopefully its not really gone!!

newboatguy12

Cadet

yes its still ther and has alot of info im assuming since my prop turns wen i pull start cord that everything in there is in working order so i gona change the oil put motor in trashcan full of water start motor see if it pumps water the way it shud????

iceman41557

Recruit

yes its still ther and has alot of info im assuming since my prop turns wen i pull start cord that everything in there is in working order so i gona change the oil put motor in trashcan full of water start motor see if it pumps water the way it shud????
Yes it is the way to see if it works. BUT first clean all of the oil off of the lower unit. This is so if any oil is leaking you will see it in the water. i have the same motor and need some info on starting it and maintaining it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes it is the way to see if it works. BUT first clean all of the oil off of the lower unit. This is so if any oil is leaking you will see it in the water. i have the same motor and need some info on starting it and maintaining it.

Cleaning the oil of fthe lu will in no way keep an oil sheen off the water when running a T or H series of motors. Not a real valid test, :)

iceman41557

Recruit

you can order a manual for 30 dollars online. I just ordered mine. It should help with ordering parts and maint,

jbknows

Cadet

I have this TN-28 that's been sitting around. I noticed it has no control cable and some parts it attaches to under the cowl. Will this be a big job? Also, I will need tune-up parts. Anyone have any idea where I should/can buy these parts?

Many thanks,
JRB

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have this TN-28 that's been sitting around. I noticed it has no control cable and some parts it attaches to under the cowl. Will this be a big job? Also, I will need tune-up parts. Anyone have any idea where I should/can buy these parts?

Many thanks,
JRB

JRB, I see you searched a few old threads. Best to let them lay. Start a new thread with your questions and we can help you out. Bringing back old threads creates confusion!

jbknows

Cadet

How do I start a new thread? New to this

Tks
JRB