• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Johnson 150 Fast Strike rev limiting @2500 (video link!)! please help!! UPDATED!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Johnson 150 Fast Strike rev limiting @3000 (video link!)! New boat please help!!

Big,
    I am going on the assumption that you have one of the two System Check monitors I linked earlier.
    If so, the following links will give you instructions on how to test the sensors and associated wiring. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there. It may not be as bad as you think and alot of times it can just be a bad connection or ground.

Circuit Verification
    Page 1
    Page 2
    Page 3

Comment

Re: Johnson 150 Fast Strike rev limiting @3000 (video link!)! New boat please help!!

Thanks OOC, but it seems that the horn is my only check system. there is a water temp gauge, but there are no dash or instrument lights(check engine, low/no oil, etc. ) I have grounded the horn and it does not make a sound. so i have ordered a new horn...

Comment

OK, got the horn in today. Hooked it up and now I get the dreaded constant alarm. I have tested the horn, and it chirps appropriately when the tan lead is not connected. So, I know that the tan lead is grounding by sensor or bare wire. I will update after I tinker a little longer. Hopefully whatever is causing this constant alarm will be the same issue that is causing the motor to go into protection mode.

Comment

Well I have narrowed down to something in the VRO circuit. I disconnected the 2 lead D shaped connector in the motor that comes from the VRO tank(one tan, one black) and that kept the alarm from sounding when the key was turned. I don't know exactly what this means. I haven't gotten in to the VRO tank to see if anything in there is wrong, hoping it will be obvious.

Does this problem seem like it could be what is causing the SLOW mode?

Comment

if it is disconnected at the VRO harness, it should not cause slow mode...but I would be sure to premix oil in gas.
            Free ignition troubleshooting guide http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs...owFlipBtn=true
            You will need a DVA adapter http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat...e/ESI-640.html First test compression, Second test spark with a spark gap tester set a 7/16 gap, Third check timing, next CLEAN your carbs properly,

Comment

i did not disconnect it but just to test for the alarm. I hooked it back up, and when I ran the motor it went into slow mode immediately. Neither of the temp switches were making the alarm sound. I disconnected both one at a time and alarm continued to sound. Anyway, I am still trying to figure out why it is going into SLOW. I am hoping that when I resolve the VRO sensor thing that this will also fix the SLOW thing.

BTW according to my SELOC, SLOW stands for Speed Limiting Operation Warning.

PS: this is something I learned yesterday that I want to share in case this happens to someone else. Once I got the new starter on and the motor running I could not get it to idle, it would only continue to run with the throttle advanced. After about 2 minutes of this, trying to get the motor to idle, I went over the motor and noticed that there was a copious amount of oil sprayed out of the exhaust in a 12 foot streak and dripping from the prop. I thought this was bad, so, remembering that I had turned the little red lever from where it was and could not remember its original position, I thought I should look into this first. So, I turned it to 6 oclock position and it returned to normal operation and idled just fine. But again would not go passed 2500 rpm... Saga continues..lol
              Last edited by BigBassin78; April 5th, 2012, 09:38 PM. Reason: grammatical correction

Comment

With all sensors disconnected, turn key on, horn should beep one time. Is it doing this????
                Help somebody every day, if you can.

Comment

yes

Comment

Four sets of sensors for this engine, overheat only sensors that will set S.L.O.W. UNLESS the DIODE in the engine harness is bad. The diode blocks the VRO, Oil tank, and fuel restriction sensors from setting S.L.O.W . Sound like the horn is working OK. I would disconnect the 2 tan wires from the temp sensors and try it. If engine runs ok one or both of the temp sensors are bad. If engine still will not run, tan wires in engine and control harnes may be shorted to ground.
                    Help somebody every day, if you can.

Comment

Ok, I have tested both temp switches. When I have the key on without the engine running, and ground both tan leads that connect to the temp swithes, the alarm sounds. I know that doesnt confirm that they ground at the correct temperature, but it works for now. Anyway, the motor is still going into slow mode and it is doing so immediately which also tells me that it is not the temp switches. Some has mentioned that it may be the powerpack all together, has anyone else heard of or seen this happen.

Comment

I've seen the powerpack doing this. But as mentioned above, it could also be the diode in the wiring harness.

Comment

i see that the diode is buried in the harness just passed the main Red terminal connection. So I guess I have to cut into the harness to get to it. What value would I be looking for when testing this diode?

Comment

I am not sure what all test you have done...but am I correct to assume that it is going into SLOW mode with both temp wires and the VRO wires all disconnected?? if so, you may have a bad power pack...when it is in SLOW mode, what cylinders have fire and which ones do not??? a inductive tach light will tell you this.
                            Free ignition troubleshooting guide http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs...owFlipBtn=true
                            You will need a DVA adapter http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/usat...e/ESI-640.html First test compression, Second test spark with a spark gap tester set a 7/16 gap, Third check timing, next CLEAN your carbs properly,

Comment

Originally posted by SparkieBoat View Post
                              I am not sure what all test you have done...but am I correct to assume that it is going into SLOW mode with both temp wires and the VRO wires all disconnected?? if so, you may have a bad power pack...when it is in SLOW mode, what cylinders have fire and which ones do not??? a inductive tach light will tell you this.
                              I had that problem on my 175, i immediately hooked up my 6 gallon tank and the problem went away.

It turned out to be my tank pick up tube and clogged anti syphon valve did you also change out your filter on the motor if you have one and water seperator ?
                              Last edited by laderwell; April 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

that being a fuel restriction issue, I assume you also got a horn sound?

Comment

Working...
                                X