Evinrude 115 1998 fuel tank options

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
I have a 115 SPL on a 17 foot Fletcher , currently I am running fuel from 3 X 25 Ltr (6.6 Gallons) tanks that are linked together so switching over is simply a manual valve operation. I don't currently have a fuel gauge so never know when the fuel will run out until it actually stalls because of starvation (not ideal I know)
I have room for 1 complete tank of 75 liter (or slightly bigger) capacity and the question I have is this
What do you think would be the best option
  1. Replace the 3 tanks with one and connect a fuel gauge
  2. Replace 2 of the 3 tanks with 1 run a fuel gauge and leave the 3rd tank as backup (if I miss the fuel gauge going low, or a failure of the gauge)
  3. Leave things as they are (if it ain't broke don't fix it type of thing)
The good thing about option 3 is ...........I know exactly how much fuel I have to get me back to port, but is the current method damaging my engine from fuel starvation every time the tank runs empty?
Thanks in advance for your inputs

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 115 1998 fuel tank options

I myself would go with option 2....just dont forget it and let it set and get stale.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I second option 2. It's what I have and works well. I just run down 6 gal reserve once in a while and keep a little stabil in it. Seafoam rather
Small errors in oil mix can add up in larger tanks... Oh you have vrO I believe if so never mind

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Small errors in oil mix can add up in larger tanks... Oh you have vrO I believe if so never mind
Mine is not VRO so small errors apply......thanks for the tip that's a good point

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ben, How about installing the 75L tank, and keeping a 25l as a spare? That motor can burn thru a 50L tank in a couple of hours, easily.

mekkamaz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ben, How about installing the 75L tank, and keeping a 25l as a spare? That motor can burn thru a 50L tank in a couple of hours, easily.

Yeah, I have a 115 Johnny and a 80 L tank, with fuel gage and a see-thru fuel gage that I rip off and old tank, so If my sender fails, I can see how much gas is left directly in the second float or, removing the cap and measure with a stick...(old fashion way)...and I use a 25L spare just in case....So This works fine for me and a very similar engine...run perfect for 6+ hours of fishin? (not running WOT a lot, of course!! just Cruise)..

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

That motor is very fuel efficient relatively speaking just a note
What about balance of the boat with tank placement. Can you keep a reserve and still keep a good balance?
Just another consideration

Ben Clegg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Option 2 is my best bet I think.........................................I have to get it made up now but will let you know how I get on (with pictures)
Cheers