Johnson 150 GT V6 Takes 45 minutes to cold start

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've had it!

Someone please tell me why it takes 45 minutes to start my Motor Johnson 150 GT V6 J150STLCEM.
I follow the starting procedures, I even improv my own, but no matter what, it consitently takes 45 Minutes to Cold Start.
After it starts once, it's good all day.

Here's what I know. The primer works, it's getting gas, the carb is adjusted correctly. I have a brand new battery, solid clean connections.
Starter solenoid is on Run. New fuel lines. Runs great once started. Will go 60 MPH no problem. It's embarassing to stand in the driveway
for 45 minutes before heading to the lake looking like a jackass cranking away on this thing.

BTW, sometimes the Bendix gets stuck in the flywheel what do I lubricate this with. Powdered Graphite is not lasting.

If I could have just ONE question answered it would be "WHY does it take 45 minutes to start"? What is the significance in that length of
time to get it cranking?

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Eq9JDqtOg
This is what I do in the driveway until all my neighbors come out to see what the redneck is doing!

BonairII

Commander
Re: Johnson 150 GT V6 Takes 45 minutes to cold start

Can u spray premix in the carbs to get it started faster? Or maybe try to pump the ball while trying to start it . Could be a fuel delivery issue. Sounds like it 'tried' to start about 5-10 secs into the video. Have you checked all fuel lines and connections for leaks?

When is the last time the carbs were serviced? Maybe a decarb(including seafoam straight thru the carbs) would help a bit. Your starter must be taking a beating having to run it so long every time you go out.

Just some food for thought.

hidef

Lieutenant

I don't if your issue is related to the Quickstart or if it is cranking speed. I would look at the cranking speed of the engine first.

A cranking speed of less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to fire properly. This can be caused by a weak battery, dragging starter, bad battery cables. I don't believe you have a mechanical problem inside the engine.

All of that powdered graphite has not help the situation and is not recommended. I recommend you get the OMC/BRP service manual for your engine and follow the steps for rebuilding the starter which involves using a little bit of triple grease, SAE No. 10 Oil and OMC starter pinion lube. Or buy a new starter and try that.

You can also follow the steps in the CDI guide.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/technical_information/cdi_113-3865.pdf

Haffiman

Commander

What do you mean b: Starter solenoid is on RUN??

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay I had a similar problem with my V-4........ fun isn't it ;) It could be something as simple as an adjustment in the throttle linkage. You need to try this....... move the throttle cam by hand just a bit (about 1/4"-3/8") while someone is at the key..... along with everything you have already done in the video. Just give it a shot.

wyngo

Cadet

I have the same issue with mine, usually when it sits for a week or more. If I start it in the yard every two or three days there is no issue. You may want to hold the key in a little longer, and make sure the trim is down. Also be careful running the starter like that, I have broken the bendix not letting it cool down when it doesn't start.

Haffiman

Commander

A lot of people with similar problems test that the solenoid squirts fuel, but not many checks that the nipples in the carbs are free and the fuel gets into the engine.
Fully open the throttle and check!

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tried cranking it today according to the manaul. Pump ball, hold key in for 5 seconds, keep holding and start it. NO GO~

*UPDATE: Here's what worked today. I have the Primer solenoid valve set to RUN, I pump the ball till hard, I turn the valve to MANUAL, pump the ball a few more times, then turned it back to RUN.
Without pressing the key in, nor raising the fast idle lever, turned the key and it started immediately.

What does this tell me?

hidef

Lieutenant

Sounds like the primer solenoid is not working correctly.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

What position is the red lever in when you think it is in the "run" position? Once you set the primer solenoid in that run position, you don't move it. It stays in the same position all the time-the run position. The only time you move the red lever 90 degrees is when you want to fog (winterize) the engine or run some engine tuner through it.

hydra23

Seaman Apprentice

Press the ball until you feel fuel flowing anything after that won't make a difference. Turn the key without pressing in (short bursts 5 to 8 seconds top) If the engine does not start, turn the key and press for 1 or 2 seconds and release. Keep the primer pointer down. Don't run your starter for more than 10 seconds straight.
H

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only way this thing will start is to put the red lever to 9:00, pump the ball till hard, turn the lever to 3:00, which makes the ball soft. I then pump the ball 3 times & turn the lever back to
9:00 or the "Run" position. When I do this, it starts immediately.

BTW, when I turn the lever to 3:00, I hear fuel being dumped somewhere. Carb, Manifold, Tank, Throat??? I Don't Know.

If I follow ANY other method, it takes 45 minutes to start. Everytime.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't see if you have your motor trimmed ALL the way down before you try to start--this could make a big difference too.

Haffiman

Commander

The only way this thing will start is to put the red lever to 9:00, pump the ball till hard, turn the lever to 3:00, which makes the ball soft. I then pump the ball 3 times & turn the lever back to
9:00 or the "Run" position. When I do this, it starts immediately.

BTW, when I turn the lever to 3:00, I hear fuel being dumped somewhere. Carb, Manifold, Tank, Throat??? I Don't Know.

If I follow ANY other method, it takes 45 minutes to start. Everytime.

If you have to turn the solenoid lever by hand, the solenoid id not working properly! It should work by pusing the key IN with ignition ON!

Turning the red lever fro m 9 to 3, something is wrong! From closed to opens should only be 90 degrees, not 180!!

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, motor is trimmed all the way down when attempting.

Haffiman

Commander

Yeah, motor is trimmed all the way down when attempting.
When starting the engine should be trimmed to a 'horizontal' position. Exhaust relief holes at the back of the leg must be above water.

adriandavidpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I say trimmed down, I mean parallel with the horizon.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The red lever on the primer solenoid should be parallel to the length of the primer solenoid for the "run" position. That's where it should stay for normal operation. No need to change it for any starting routines. To test the primer solenoid, pull the small primer hose off the top carb. Prime the fuel hose bulb. Turn the key to on, and push in on the key. Fuel should pulse out that small primer hose. It is possible that the red lever (schrader valve) can crack internally, causing problems. Also, the small hose barbs on the head of the primer solenoid are very delicate and can crack, causing a leak.