1995 Johnson 150, fuel mixture from prop??

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys
So I've been trying to fire this engine up, been using sea foam spray to try and clean but that has not been working, it has been starting up, run for a few seconds then cut off, I think the pinholes in the carbs are clogged so I am going to pull and rebuild/clean. As I was putting everything away, I went to remove the hose and noticed an oily substance coming from the prop, it smelled like the fuel mixture, Im assuming that this should be like this but I also thought since I have been trying to start the motor and tilting up and down that the fuel mixture might have creeped down ward towards the lower unit, any ideas?? I hope its just run off but I doubt its normal because everyone would be polluting the waters. :confused:

Attachments

• 2011-06-26_13.52.48.jpg
    2011-06-26_13.52.48.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-06-26_13.53.30.jpg
    2011-06-26_13.53.30.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 0

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1995 Johnson 150, fuel mixture from prop??

looks normal because your exhaust will have some oily residue ..check your gear oil make sure there is no water in it and that it is full.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, whew! I just change the gear oil, oil was fine, no water, thanks for the fast reply

guamster

Recruit

Ok, whew! I just change the gear oil, oil was fine, no water, thanks for the fast reply

I'm not expert but there is nothing normal about this amount of oil being discharged from the exhaust housing. I am having a similar issue to this at the moment. Posted my issue in another thread.

SparkieBoat

Captain

well if the oil is not coming from your gear case then it must be coming from your fuel/oil mixture..your exhaust is through the hub of your prop and all residue will drip down to the prop..totally normal

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the compression on this mtr? Will the spark jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester? If it passes those tests it's probably carb time.

guamster

Recruit

well if the oil is not coming from your gear case then it must be coming from your fuel/oil mixture..your exhaust is through the hub of your prop and all residue will drip down to the prop..totally normal

With all due respect, there is residue and then there is gobs of oil dripping from OP's hand. Additionally, he can't get his boat started for a reason. Again, with all due respect, I think to say that this is normal would be a bit of a stretch.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Guamster,read my above post. Sounds like you're correct.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I was not addressing his carb issue..I was just letting him now that his motor was not blown or something. He should defiantly fix whatever is wrong with his carbs..but if he has been using sea foam and has clogged carb issues he will have lots of residue including globs running out of his motor. but he said he was about to clean his carbs so I assumed he would cure that problem. I think he was concerned that the motor may be no good or need rebuilding because of the residue. So it is normal for the residue to be in large quantities until he cleans carbs and test/fix spark.

nwcove

Admiral

that doesnt look like too much oil from the prop.....if the motor was running reasonably well, looks like more than it should be for a motor that stalls after a very short run tho.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If he can keep the mtr running long enough, it would be a good time for a cyl drop test to see which cyl's are screwing up.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I agree that the Seafoam has loosened built up residue in the exhaust passage and its dripping out the prop. Also, if the motor was fogged last fall, and its just being started for this season, the fogging oil is thick and heavy and will cause an unusually large amount of goo leaking from the through hub exhaust.

It should clean up once the motor is running and it gets some time on the water. 15 minutes of WOT will do the trick if the motor is running well.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

set-72157627025676898
Thanks for the replies, very informative, let me post some other pictures, I just removed the carbs because I was told the tiny little jets will not come unclogged and they need to be pulled and cleaned and might as well rebuild having it apart. I will post some pix and appreciate all the advice (clean or build), it could save me 30/ea. If you know, can you point me in the direction on what to be careful of and what to make sure i clean and what not to mess with, thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64185327@N07/5874918653/in/set-72157627025676898

Motor hasnt been ran in 3 years PO said

SparkieBoat

Captain

you can soak carbs in laquer thinner over night, then spary carb cleaner through every orfice, passage you can find. run a little extra oil in gas first run and I really like sea foam, check out the decarb post in the secret files section. you should also do a compression check and spark test.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

Compression test had 4 at 104 and 2 at 96, sparks are good, had to adjust one plug

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

you can soak carbs in laquer thinner over night, then spary carb cleaner through every orfice, passage you can find. run a little extra oil in gas first run and I really like sea foam, check out the decarb post in the secret files section. you should also do a compression check and spark test.

Do I disassemble the carbs before soaking or leave intact?

SparkieBoat

Captain

you do not have to totally dis assemble, remove carb bowl and float/needle valves, that is all i usually remove, the laquer thinner will not hurt your plastic parts. that is why I use it. did you do a spark test with a spark gap tester set at 7/16 gap?? compression is ok..do the decarb for sure, it may even it up some more.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I did not do a soak of the parts, dealer said the look just rebuilt so a quick cleaning with carb cleaner and airgun should suffice. Put everything back together to give her another shot, its a no go! lol, so, next step. . . I went to look what was spitting out of the carbs this time and it seems like straight gas. . . I dont see a mixture, so I pulled the oil line from the pump and hand pumped some through the line to make sure it was freely moving. . . all good, which part does the mixing? And what is this red knob? Fuel cut off? Also, is it safe to assume that it shouldnt be the fuel pump since I do smell vapors when trying to start?

Attachments

• 2011-06-27_17.32.26.jpg
    2011-06-27_17.32.26.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Red knob is the primer - leave it be.

I've go two of these motors. Same year, had em forever. Yours look to be in good condition. #1 there old - completely rebuild the carbs; tear them apart. Buy the rebuild kits they need it unless you can provide a reciept that says when they were re-built. Do it. Remember the fuel system is the engines lifeblood. No fuel to any cylinder and it dies because fuel follows oil. If you've got fuel, air and spark it will fire and run. You can troubleshoot the OMS system later.