• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

what is this red looking valve on my 87 v4 90hp?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is this red looking valve on my 87 v4 90hp?

So, i changed the plugs on my new to me motor earlier from a set of ones that the guy said were fouled...put the water muff on, and tried cranking...the motor would crank, and start with me pushing in on the key and the neutral idle all the way up, but as soon as I let go, the motor would shut off. We ended up speaking to a buddy of my dad, and he fooled with this valve on the top back side of the motor that turns (its a red triangle looking valve) and looks like it has fuel lines and electrical wires....when he turned this, the motor fired right up and idled on its own....when he would turn it back the other way, the motor would die. What is this valve? it has a picture next to it showing an arrowing turning it, but im not sure what this does?? thoughts??

Re: what is this red looking valve on my 87 v4 90hp?

ok...so with researching it sounds like something called a primer solenoid?? why would turning it to the outside of the motor cause the motor to idle fine on its own, but turning it in toward the motor causes it to not want to run?

Comment

The red lever is the manual override for the primer solenoid. By holding the key in you were doing the same thing as moving the lever and you were bypassing the carbs. Sounds like you got some gummed up carbs.

Comment

so what is recommended? thats odd...if it were doing the same thing, it seems like it would run if I kept the key held in right? It would run a sec with the key held in, but would die eventually (even with it held in). Also...does anyone have any idea what a knob in the throttle area might be? I just have a knob on my console / throttle area with no writing or nothing on it...its right next to my kill leash, and below my neutral throttle lever on the console area...not sure what that little knob does...I didnt notice it doing anything when turning it though.

Comment

By.

Comment

If the carbs are varnished it may not stall
            from choking it, it needs the gas.
            Running with lever rotated is choke on.
            Little black knob sounds like throttle friction adjustment?
            Recommendation, clean carbs, replace fuel filters,
            and check for water in gas.

Comment

Time to clean the carbs.
              The choke or in this case the enrichment valve allows fuel to bypass the carbs and puts fuel directly into the throats thereby allowing the motor to run. In addition you could have a bad valve as indicated by the motor not running with the switch held in and only running in manual position.

Comment

so, is cleaning the carbs pretty easy? does pressing in on the key regulate that valve or something?

Comment

Don't do anything. Set the knob where the engine runs. That's the correct setting. This knob is used ONLY in the event you end up with a dead battery and need to rope start the engine. With a dead battery the primer solenoid would not operate so you would pull your arm off without the engine starting. Flipping the lever AND squeezing the primer bulb a couple times PRIMES the engine and it will not rope start. The reason the engine won't run with the lever flipped to the MANUAL position is because it is being flooded with too much fuel -- not because the carbs need rebuilding.

Comment

Thanks. that's very helpful. which way is which? point out away from the engine and pointing toward the engine. the little knob is triangle shaped and red. do these motors have a rope? I haven't noticed one???

Comment

straight down on mine,or fartherest clockwise, no you provide the rope.
                      sigpic[FONT="System"][/. ase master tech

Comment

Originally posted by stylesabu View Post
                        straight down on mine,or fartherest clockwise, no you provide the rope.
                        point down for which type of operation? ?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	e6060804730097a950452b5253bf99d8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	90196Click image for larger version

Name:	e0b8f34c364274135347b84c9b81ddaf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	90197run according to my owners manual,not service manual. i think silvertip meant with arm /level moved to manual you will be able to pull start. this is supposed to adjusted or moved, only when engine is needing to be pull started. but I would like to know why there is a scrader valve in it,under cap? hope pictures help
                          sigpic[FONT="System"][/. ase master tech

Comment

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/007943.html

I found this link above....counter clockwise / clockwise (up and down) could also depend on how you are facing the motor when describing...I guess im just curious which way is primer off and which way is on.

The picture on the motor itself doesnt really show which way is run (i guess manual prime off), and which way is prime on. If standing on the side of the motor with the primer switch, (which would be on the right side, with prop facing you) should the lever be pointing away from you (toward the flywheel of motor), or toward you away from engine?

Comment

found this....http://www.*****************/boat-for...g-the-greatest

this helps alot...so now, with the lever over top of the solenoid the motor doesnt want to start...it will crank, and run for a second priming and cranking with the key, but as soon as I left off, it wants to die....and sometimes dies on its own..

if we opened the solenoid (with the lever facing away from the solenoid - manual open)...it would crank right up and idle on its own)

what does this mean? where should I look next??

Comment

Working...
                              X