Johnson 5 hp fuel problem (I think) will not run even with starting fluid to carby

johnandvanessa

Recruit
morning all, I have a 5 hp 70s model I think (Model 5702A) which I have just purchased.

this engine was from a deceased estate so I have no history, but the guy was an outboard dealer. the outboard appears to have been reconditioned and possibly not used since the work was done. I also suspect that the outboard has sat for many years since the work.
I have been trying to start the outboard with aerostart, the spray eather that will start anything and I can only get the shortest of run out of the engine, it really does not want to start!!! I have cleaned the carby and checked it while off, made sure all vents are clear with carby cleaner and high pressure air.
I am worried that the reed vaulves are stuck or something as I can not get the plugs to get damp, even after a lot of pulling at the engine with the choke on, they are always dry.
I have not paid too much attention to the spark as it will fire and run for about 2 seconds, sort of.
I would really appreciate any suggestion, my arm is sore from pulling this thing over and i am really lost.
regards, John