rectifier question

drsquash

Cadet
What is it and what dose it do?? i just bought a 76 20 foot ranger bass boat with a 200 hp evinrude outboard on it and the guy started the motor (with water to it) and engaged the forward and reverse and worked great he said that the rectifier needed to be changed and would give the motor more speed ???? i really need to know what to do before i put this thing in the water for a long day of boating would hate to get stranded LOL

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: rectifier question

The rectifier converts alernating current from your alternator to DC voltage for charging your battery. Indirectly, it controls the pulses that drive the tachometer and part of the warning system in vro and oms fuel delivery systems.

There is a risk to the ignition system components when a bad rectifier is left in place, but the rectifier basically has nothing to do with speed or with efficient operation of the engine.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

What Ezeke said.

Does your tach work?

Does your engine charge the battery? (you can test current between + and - at the battery at high idle - should be around 14v).

If one or both aren't right, it could point you toward the rectifier, but there's some more troubleshooting/ testing that can be done (I believe there's a FAQ in the FAQ section on that).

As for his power claim, like Ezeke said, it's nonsense. Do you think it lacks power?

What year engine is this? (look at model number, should start with J200)

What's the compression on all cylinders?

What's the wide open RPM's right now?

How does it accelerate?

How does it idle - in the water (not on the hose)? What idle RPM's?

What prop are you using? Is it in perfect condition?

drsquash

Cadet

What Ezeke said.

Does your tach work?

Does your engine charge the battery? (you can test current between + and - at the battery at high idle - should be around 14v).

If one or both aren't right, it could point you toward the rectifier, but there's some more troubleshooting/ testing that can be done (I believe there's a FAQ in the FAQ section on that).

As for his power claim, like Ezeke said, it's nonsense. Do you think it lacks power?

What year engine is this? (look at model number, should start with J200)

What's the compression on all cylinders?

What's the wide open RPM's right now?

How does it accelerate?

How does it idle - in the water (not on the hose)? What idle RPM's?

What prop are you using? Is it in perfect condition?

What year engine is this? (look at model number, should start with J200) 2 numbers i see 200649s and j2001871

What's the compression on all cylinders? dont know havent water tested yet didnt want to put on lake if that part was bad b4 replacing it

What's the wide open RPM's right now? dont know havent water tested yet didnt want to put on lake if that part was bad b4 replacing it

How does it accelerate? dont know havent water tested yet didnt want to put on lake if that part was bad b4 replacing it

How does it idle - in the water (not on the hose)? What idle RPM's? dont know havent water tested yet didnt want to put on lake if that part was bad b4 replacing it

What prop are you using? prop has a 26 marked on it and engraver with HI-TECH-4 and is stainless

Is it in perfect condition? yes

i am going to water test it tomarow i will look for all this anything else i should look for