25 hp fuel prob? Help

salmberg

Recruit
Hi Gents-

I am a first timer here. I have never used this site before. I have a 25 hp 1980 vintage Evinrude motor with electric start and I loaned it to a buddy for a fishing trip and it died in the middle of the lake and cannot get it started since. Was running fine for years before that. I have verified that we are getting a good spark (looks good anyway) but must be starving for fuel or Carb problem? THe fuel line bulb seems fine- stays hard. I verified that I am getting fuel to the filter module on the side of the unit but not sure if it is getting to the carb. Any suggestions of how to verify I am getting fuel to the cylinders? Could it be a timing issue?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 hp fuel prob? Help

Get a spray bottle and CAREFULLY spray fuel directly into the front of the carb.
Or into the plug holes. and crank it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You can also disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if fuel is pumping out as it's running. Just be careful where that fuel goes.:D If you can, put the end of the fuel line in a jar and see if it pumps fuel into it.:cool:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

One more thing....if your fuel pump does infact pump fuel, then you most likely have a clog somewhere in your carburetor, either at the float assembly(possibly the needle stuck in the closed position) or a jet is plugged.:cool:

salmberg

Recruit

Thanks guys, I iwll try these ideas and let you know where i end up!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just because you get spark, doesn't mean it occurs at the proper time to cause combustion.

Did your buddy hit any submerged objects? Very important that he tell you the truth; save you from chasing a ghost.

If he did, remove the nut from atop the flywheel and look at the Woodruff key which is a square piece of metal that is imbedded in slots in both the flywheel and crankshaft. Both slots and the square key should be in perfect alignment with no signs of shearing of the key.

If he hit something it could shear or partially shear (matters not which to cause the problem) this key and you'll never get it going again till you fix it. BTDT and talk about "raining on your parade".

If he didn't hit anything then fuel may be your problem. If all the things suggested don't solve the problem for you disconnect your fuel line from the engine. Take a popsickle stick or something much softer than metal and depress the SS ball inside the connector on the fuel line while squeezing the bulb. If anything has contaminated the line this should either blow it out or indicate to you that you have found your problem and have to clean out the line. BTDT too.

HTH

Mark