61- 5.5 Kicker control cables

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 61- 5.5 Kicker control cables

OK, will try the hole already there then and see if that works out OK. I was able to get the throttle to work although some resistance with the old controller but I had concerns as to whether the clip would stay attached. The other cable was difficult to move and had nothing on it so I was in for a battle with it for sure. Thanks for the help, will advise further when I am able to get one.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also, the old Scott Atwater controller may have some value in itself as a collector item. Not enough to retire on, for sure, but it may recoup your investment in the Simplex style controller. I've sold a couple Scott controls on eBay over the years and they seemed to garner in the neighborhood of $30-$50.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Perfect! That control box will serve you well for many years and will be easy to service.

Another aspect of it is that, if you ever have a boat with two OMC motors that use that style control, you can do this ....

IMG_0512R500.jpg

IMG_0510R500.jpg

This control box was made from a pair of single units. I had to grind the face down on one of them, and reverse a couple of things, but it was very easy to make. It was used to control the pair of ERude Bigtwins that I mentioned earlier.

BTW, if you look closely at the gearshift slots in the second photo, you can see the casing guides with set screws in them. You can also see the end of the wire on one of them. This is why the box is the determining factor in which cables you need, not the motor. The Type 479 cables have a press fit end that is secured to the casing guide with a screw and nut. You also can not just swap the casing guides to adapt one unit to the cable type of the other. This is true because there are a couple of other parts, including the handles, that are of a different size.

???

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

That is nice! Thanks alot, waiting on it to show up so I can see about those cables....maybe I can still use them. I will bear that in mind on the control box.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, can't view pic...I get messages advising me his photobucket account has a problem where he has not used it in a long time. won't let me view

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Can you imagine the luck? That had to have happened JUST NOW. Argh!!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

That link worked for me EZ, that is a great setup for a kicker. I am looking into ideas for my 5.5hp '55 Johnson on my 16' starcraft SS and I appreciate all the great info in this thread:D

This is my dad's setup for his 8hp and 225hp yamaha 4-strokes that works pretty well...the attachment on the pole is like an elbow joint that swivels all around so one can be up while the other's down

DSCF3010.jpg