1955 Johnson 5.5

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice
I love this forum.

I have recently come into possession of this beautiful motor. I guess my question is more of a carburetor question rather than one relating to the motor specifically. I'm retuning the carb and I have a kit coming but it did not come with a float. The float in the motor right now seems to be in alright condition, it still floats but it's varnished and pitted a decent bit. How important is it that I should purchase a new float? And more importantly, I haven't been able to find a float specific to this motor, the only Johnson specific float I've found on this website (and anywhere really) is this one and I'm pretty sure it's for bigger motors. Will this float fit? Do I need to purchase a different kit with a float? Do I need a new float at all? Does anyone want to share my mac and cheese?

Thanks for the help in advance all. Happy motoring.

Re: 1955 Johnson 5.5

ummmmmm mac and cheese sounds good.....................ummmmmmmmmmm but i dont think a float needs to be replaced but thats me just let it dry out...but agian it could get soaked again i guess im in the same boat u are carb kit no float whats up with that but mostly in for the mac and cheese lol

lindy46

Captain

Go to a Johhnyrude dealer and get a factory carb kit - it will have the float in it.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Ditto...your float could be original (55 years old, due for a change) or could be one a PO changed out...no way of knowing. Get the factory carb kit with a float.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ditto...your float could be original (55 years old, due for a change) or could be one a PO changed out...no way of knowing. Get the factory carb kit with a float.

True, you would have been better off buying the factory kit in the first place. But since you already hought an aftermarket kit, there is no need of buying a whole 'nother kit. Simply buy a float from a dealer. It is part number 396514 and is made of the new ethanol resistant material.

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help guys!

edit: One more question. I'm probably going to replace the starter pull cord. Anybody know what gauge it is? I measured it and it looks like about 3/16". Can anyone confirm?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

According to my limited information. That was 5/32" originally. So since the hardware store 3/16" cord tends to stretch out and shrink maybe more than the original stuff did, 3/16" should work just fine. you'll just have to see if it fits in your sheeve and anchor ok. I'm guessing those will be the two places where it'll be critical.

Cheers..................Todd

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice

So I've been reading around on the forums and I realized I missed a pretty important step before investing all this money on parts. I didn't test the compression of the cylinders. I know, I know, big dumb. But this is the very first time I've ever gotten myself into anything like this. The motor started up fine and everything is in pretty decent condition under the head. I decided to restore it after I had trouble with loss of fuel on the first time we took it out. I could keep the motor running for a little and it chugged along like a champ. Unfortunately I already spend ALL the money and I have all the parts coming, so basically, I'm hoping I didn't screw the pooch on this one. Anyone have any encouraging advice?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Obviously it'd be best to know the exact compression numbers before getting in to it too far. But if it pulls over with a satisfying thunk-thunk feel and sound then you're probably fine. You can usually feel if one cylinder is significantly different from the other. They say you can borrow or rent a compression tester from your local auto parts store like Autozone. In any case you can find an inexpensive one at Harbor Freight.

Did you get yourself a water pump impeller or water pump kit? How about the gas tank? still running the pressure tank? If so it'd be a good idea to rebuild it if you don't know its history. Fuel line connector o-rings? Hows that lower unit lube?

Cheers.................Todd

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the interest man, I really appreciate it. I've cleaned the cylinders, pistons and head. I also flattened the head mating surface (it was only slightly warped). I'm waiting on a head gasket for that. I'm also waiting on a complete ignition kit (points, condensers and coils) and some new spark plug wires. I already have the new plugs. I have the flywheel off and everything ready to go. I also took off the carb and did a complete breakdown and clean. I'm waiting on the carb kit to arrive with the ignition kit. I found a factory float from Laing's Outboards (sweet site for this stuff, also got my new starter cord there) as well as a new impeller. I haven't taken the lower unit apart yet but I'm gonna clean that out and refill the lubricant.

I'm still running a pressure tank. I was planning on retrofitting a fuel pump and switching to a single line tank at some point but I'm looking at spending a benjamin to do that so I figure I'll probably just rebuild the tank and stick with that for a few months until I can setup the single line. That might be my winter project. :)

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Personally if it were me I wouldn't be in a big hurry to tear the lower unit apart just yet. I'd drain the old fluid out and see what it looks like. If it doesn't have any water in it, not miky looking and no metal shavings. I'd just put new lu lube in, get new sealing washers for the plugs and call it good. You'll want to pull the prop off and make sure there's no fishing line wrapped around the shaft.

I won't give up my pressure tanks for anything. This last time I got the motor out it had been almost ten years since I'd run it. The tags on my boat were "96. I dug the tank out from underneath the junk in the shed, opened it up fearing the worst. And I found the gas was still perfectly fine. Try that with a cheapo plastic gas tank from Walmart!

Cheers.................Todd

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

The old pressure tanks are workable and safe if maintained. There are parts in the pressure mechanism that have to be serviced, O-rings and such, but they are very reliable. If your pressure tank works, clean it up real good and maybe repaint it...but keep it and use it.

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice

Cool, I'm trying to get them to add the repair kit to my order as we speak. Thanks guys.

Edit: 8/6

They were cool enough to add the kit to my order. Now I'm just waiting for that final shipment to arrive. I serviced the ignition today, cleaned the stator plate and removed all the old hardware. Gapped my new plugs and tested my new coils. Everything looks copacetic.

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice

So I finished rebuilding the ignition today and when I went to test for spark I have none. All the ignition parts are new, I gapped the points to .020 and the timing tested out good. I have new spark plug wires, coils, points, condensers and plugs. I triple checked the connections. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to torque the flywheel on without being sure that there is actually ignition.

lindy46

Captain

So I finished rebuilding the ignition today and when I went to test for spark I have none. All the ignition parts are new, I gapped the points to .020 and the timing tested out good. I have new spark plug wires, coils, points, condensers and plugs. I triple checked the connections. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to torque the flywheel on without being sure that there is actually ignition.

Did you use solid copper core wires?

lindy46

Captain

Those should be okay. Make sure the coils are flush with the mounting base. If they are too far in, they may not fire properly.

jbjennings

Captain

I don't understand the "timing tested out good". If the flywheel is on the key, the timing is dead on.?
Try looking here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=294072

Don't worry, you'll get it sparking. You're going to really like that motor when you get it running right, and I'll bet you'll be suprised at how smooth it idles and how easy it starts compared to a modern motor.
Good luck,
JBJ

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Make sure the spark plug wires are seated properly inside the coil.

Points are gapped at .020" - is the cam rider aligned with the crankshaft keyway when gapping is done?

Are all condenser and coil lead wires out of the way of flywheel and crankshaft so nothing is rubbing and shorting?

Do you have the wires connected properly - green coil wire to points, black to ground. Looking down, green wire goes to the set of points to the right of the coil.

derrTderr

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll check all of that tomorrow when the beers wear off. ;)