Identify a Mystery Evinrude please :)

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Identify a Mystery Evinrude please :)

Thanks for the schematic.. It was exactly what I needed

Now if I can hunt down a set of spark plug wires ( they seem to be elusive online)

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it's been awhile since I have posted and I thought I would let any interested people know of my progress....

So far I was able to rewire the motor through the generosity of another member e-mailing me a diagram. I have also bought a new starter and changed the plug wires. I noticed today that I was not gtting any spark to the spark plugs ( and I used a voltmeter and confirmed that there is no signal coming from the ignition coil). I am guessing that the coil itself is bad ( since there is no current going from it while the motor is cranking), it should come midweek and I should be able to update then :)

Wish me luck

I have another question. Where is the water inlet on this motor? I am not by a body of water but I wanted to try to turn over this motor..etc. I took the prop off and I have a Rubbermaid tub that goes past the prop and up to the upper fin of the lower cover. Will this be high enough? Is this a viable way to try and start this thing? Also, it has not ran in some time....should I take the plugs out and lightly spray cylinders with a lubricant (WD/PB blaster) and crank a few times with the plugs out to get everything lubed or is that un-necessary and might "gum up something"? When I am trying to start it should I use starting fluid? Or put a gas/oil mix in a clean spray bottle? What is the gas/oil ratio for this motor? Sorry to be bombarding with so many questions.

Thanks in advance....

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any thoughts? I notice that there are a LOT of posts on the forum at the moment and hopefully someone can answer my question(s) as well :)

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't been able to locate any of the info yet. Looking for a break-away to look at the water inlet has not been found by me so far, and I am still working on trying to answer my other questions nd wilol try to post the results.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The water intakes are below the cavitation plate, on either side of the gearcase. From your description, no your tub is not deep enough. I would use "muffs" on a garden hose. The holes above the cavitation plate are where the water comes out. They are in addition to the two holes in the back of the midsection. If you get the motor running and use the muffs, watch for water to come out the lower exit point, as soon as the t-stat open up. If you don't see water coming out in about a minute or less, shut the motor down. The time frame that I mention should be about right, unless your tap water is very cold.

Your ignition problem could be the amplifier. I wish I could help you beyond this observation, but I'm not expert or anything close to that on them, so I'll just offer the tip as something to consider.

Don't ever use starting fluid on a 2-stroke outboard. Use some premixed fuel in a spray bottle instead. Starting fluid has no lubricating properties and will not do nice things to your cylinders, pistons and rings.

Hopefully, F R or Ezeke will see this and offer some thoughts on further troubleshooting.

ncland2004

Cadet

With regards to no spark make sure you have the ignition switch on. These motors need 12volts before spark will occur. I have a 70 model 60hp and thought there was no spark until I read that the ignition system is different than most. Not sure if you were aware of that but thought I'd mention it.

ncland2004

Cadet

Make sure you have a strong battery and the electric shift motors need 12 volts to get spark. So hook up a direct connection and you should have spark-- otherwise you have other issues.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,

I have not posted in a little while and I thought that I would give an update.

I got the motor to run last season, although poorly at first. The second time i worked on it the motor seemed to run a lot better. However, when I took it to the lake and tried to start it, but it wouldn;t stay running. I took it home and dropped the sediment bowls and cleaned them out..etc.. I put them back together and now I have no spark when I try to start it ( yes, I am aware that cleaning sediment out has nothing to do with it :p ). I have checked the points, taken off the flywheel and cleaned the stator and the inside of the flywheel. On an earlier pot on this thread someone mentioned that the ignition switch has to be "on". I am assuming that isn't just the turn key, but the toggle below it that seems to activate the choke?? It has been a whole year since I have messed with this (Hydro-electric) and I am slowly gaining grey hairs by the day trying to figure out why I can;t get spark when I had GREAT spark before the clean out. Any tips?

I have changed the plugs, spark plug wires, coil, cleaned the flywheel, stator, regapped the points to man. specs. I am wondering if I am just not flipping the right switch? The stickers are wore off so I am not sure what switch does what.

Thanks in Advance and I can supply pictures on request.