1971 Evinrude tell-tale and timing

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
I have a full gauge compliment on the skeeter and would like to hook up my pressure gauge. Where should I drill n tap the engine to install the tell-tale for best results?

I can not find the specs for the timing on WOT on fotr his model 60173C
I have the manula that covers both 60173 and 60172 models and it does tell me how to adjust the timing pointer for TDC, but for the life of me I can not find the timing for WOT.

Thanks for the replies.WAV

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 Evinrude tell-tale and timing

I found the thread for the tell tale and location, it is a very god thread and perfect for what I am looking for.

The timing has me confused,(easy enough to do). thanks,WAV

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

After 2 cups of coffee and reading the manual in the library, it seems that the timing is set at 2 deg adv at 650 rpm. Can not find anything on the WOT timing in the factory manual.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Tashasdaddy,

Thanks for the reply and the links to JR timing set up, I was drilling the hole for the tell tale and just came back to make sure I was in the right spot.

Thanks again,WAV.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Got the tell-tale installed, do not know what happened.
Start the engine, water comes out the end of the hose.
Do not know if the pressure gauge is working correctly as it only read 5 lbs of pressure from the 60hp.
I have no idea what the pressure should be on that engine/pump setup any ideas or thoughts what type of pressure I should be reading on the gauge?
Thanks, WAV.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If 5# is the idle pressure, that's probably about normal. I would look for over 15 lbs at high speed. Your gauge should be a 30# one. If you have a gauge teed into the telltale line, it may read somewhat lower than if you run the gauge (only) direct from the telltale port. Some pressure may "bleed off." The gauge pressure also depends on which restrictor you use at the end of the telltale hose. You can experiment with it and determine which way you want to connect everything.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is 5 lbs at idle and it is tee'd with the tell tale so correct in reading less pressure. Yes it is a 30lb gauge, I will experiment with different type of restrictors to try to get a decent 3/4 scale reading on the temp gauge at 4500 rpm.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Idle water pressure will depend on how large you made the hole and the size tube you are using and whether or not you put a restrictor in the end of the hose. That said, 5 - 7 PSI at idle is fairly normal. 12 - 15 PSI at wide open throttle should also be expected but both of those numbers will depend on the condition of the impeller and pump housing. The idea is to install a new pump when the gauge is installed. That gives you a baseline. Any deviation from the baseline numbers down the road indicates a failing pump.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Previous owners had impeller installed, meticelous maintenance records for the engine were provided at purchase.
Pressure gauge is original equipment on the skeeter starfire.
Still has the thermal switches in place for the over heat warning.
Looks like everything is looking as should be. Thanks for the info.