Evinrude 150hp hard cold starting

odonus9999

Recruit
Got a 1980 Evinrude 150hp motor. Recently I noticed its been really hard to cold start as if the battery just does not have the power to turn over the motor - chug - chug etc. Even a new fresh battery does the same - chug - chug.<br /><br />I have stripped inspected and cleaned the starter motor and all is fine<br /><br />I suspect there is some restriction from preventing the motor from turning when cold. <br /><br />Note if you continue to keyon after say 30 secs - 1min the motor turns fires and no more problem....in or out of water.<br /><br />Took all plugs out and did the inspection and found all ok. Compression check all cylinders at 120 PSI - No3 did read 105 when cold but improved with oil. When engine run for 5 mins - rechecked all cycliners at 120psi.<br /><br />Now - I am assuming the restriction is possibly exhaust gas or ??? from not exiting the cylinder.<br /><br />ANy ideas as to what to check/inspect/try would be appreciated<br /><br />thanks<br />Aid

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 150hp hard cold starting

Replace battery cable, starter solenoid and check the two little wires on the solenoid to make sure they are not corroded. Use nuts on connecting battery cables to battery instead of wingnuts. It should light up like an Xmas Tree.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Does the motor turn over reasonably easily by hand with the plugs out? If so it's probably not the motor.<br /><br />Could still be a starter motor problem or perhaps bad solenoid or wiring connection. These can be intermittent and change when heated up. Do a voltage test when cranking to measure voltage directly across starter motor. Should be greater than about 9.5V. If it is, suspect the starter motor. Then check the voltage from a good ground or battery -ve through the circuit while cranking: battery +ve, solenoid - battery side, solenoid - starter motor side, starter motor +ve terminal & starter motor case. This will give you an indication of where the volts are being dropped. See if any of the connections are getting hot - this will indicate a problem area. Remember also that a bad earth on the starter motor can also cause starter motor problems - in this case you should measure a (small) voltage on the case while cranking.

odonus9999

Recruit

Thanks guys<br />I am in the process of changing the brushes to new ones as they were close to 3/8" and look like they never have been replaced. I think the term used here is it may have been poling.<br /><br />Will advise after install and test<br /><br />cheers

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

While you have the starter motor apart, clean the commutator and check the armature winding terminations (where they join up to the commutator segments) for any obvious signs of overheating. These are usually just a pressed fit and can develop bad connections. Check also for excessive play in the bushings - this will cause the armature to not rotate freely (poling).<br /><br />Starter motor problems can be tricky to diagnose & fix.

odonus9999

Recruit

All fixed - New brushes as they were worn past 3/8 of an inch<br /><br />Kicks over no problems

Popz1967

Recruit

I realize this is an old post but wondered if these were brushes inside starter? I am having same problem, shes very cold starting but once she's up running . runs like a champ. Even brand new batteries, and plugs didn't effect this situation at all. any help would really appreciate. Im on disability, try to do as much as I possibly can by my self, but some stuff just don't know enough, or always have the funds to take care of right away.
Than you, Popz1967:help: