15 hp Force OB gas connector question.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good day,

Air hose connector type gas connector on Force motor started to leak at times I suspect it sucks air which probably cause occasional engine stop when idling. I presume due to trolling speed shaking. Prior to ordering original replacement part I would like to know if Merculy type connector would fit ? The outside part is not a problem, but I dont know if there is enough room inside the cowling for the Mercury inner connector part.

Original Force air hose type is very short inside the cowling.

Thank you all.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15 hp Force OB gas connector question.

The Force fitting screws into the cowling. You may be able to get Mercury or even OMC fittings to fit.

The male fitting (on the engine) has a small O ring Right near the hex. This O ring will harden and sometimes break. It is NOT the primary seal, but does help to exclude air.

INSIDE the female fitting is another small O ring which does the primary seal and seats against the flat portion of the male fitting. It frequently goes bad allowing the engine to suck a lot of air. You can pull it out with a heavy duty straight pin or similar sharp object. The O ring itself it an odd size but some auto air conditioning O ring fit quite nicely. Take the old one with you to match. If the new ring is just a hair too big it simply will not fit back into the groove.

Boatdoc58

Seaman

Give me the serial number/year.....I have piles of NOS o-rings for them in stock.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Force fitting screws into the cowling. You may be able to get Mercury or even OMC fittings to fit.

The male fitting (on the engine) has a small O ring Right near the hex. This O ring will harden and sometimes break. It is NOT the primary seal, but does help to exclude air.

INSIDE the female fitting is another small O ring which does the primary seal and seats against the flat portion of the male fitting. It frequently goes bad allowing the engine to suck a lot of air. You can pull it out with a heavy duty straight pin or similar sharp object. The O ring itself it an odd size but some auto air conditioning O ring fit quite nicely. Take the old one with you to match. If the new ring is just a hair too big it simply will not fit back into the groove.
I was under the impression that the male fitting was true a hole in the cowling and held in with a large screw ?? Motor stored but I will have a look at those O rings. Guess you are saying they (O rings) can be changed ? Tx

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Those fittings were garbage from new.
I( removed both of mine when I bought the boat.
You can remove the fitting and replace with the hose.
Then you can add a fitting at the tank.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those fittings were garbage from new.
I( removed both of mine when I bought the boat.
You can remove the fitting and replace with the hose.
Then you can add a fitting at the tank.
This motor is portable and needs to remain that way. One boat and 2 OB's used for different reasons. Tx for tip.