1961 Evinrude Starflite III Unicharger Questions

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 1961 Evinrude Starflite III Unicharger Questions

Great restore job on the boat and motor! Regarding how to proceed with your motor now that the "professionals" at the boat store have had their hands on it, I recommend you read the discussion below from the FAQ's about how to de-carbon an outboard motor. Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Willy- That will be good for future practice!

micks110

An update on my motor. It is running good but I need a new Clutch Dog and possibly a forward gear. I'd like to have this done now because the jumping out of gear is happening more and more. So I need to find the parts below to get the clutch done now and then we will rebuild the block over the winter.

If anybody comes across any of these engine parts let me know. They are in my dealers book as "vintage" so they have to do a search for them. I asked for the parts and the part number so I could ask on here.

307095- Shifter Clutch Dog
307090- Cradle for Clutch Dog
377870- Forward Gear or Reverse Gear (they will just remove the bushing)
These parts will be for a 1960-1963 V-4 Speedifour or Starflite Manual Shift- NOT Selectric Shift

Thanks Guys!

micks110

Thanks Willy. That's a great site and they have what I need. Hopefully my forward gear will be in good shape because for a new one it costs $429.13!

Willyclay

Captain

While I have not tried it, there are some members who say they have switched their forward and reverse gears, replaced only the clutch dog and gotten many years of service. Good luck!

micks110

My boat guy told me the same thing. He said he would just take the bushing out of the reverse gears to save people money.

My boat guy is also looking into something that FR told me about in a pm about updating the clutch to snap positively in place with a spring and bb's. My guy at the boat place says he used to do it all the time back in the day and he would do whatever is the most cost effective for me.

bocephusbox69

Recruit

ok- to begin i am a newbie to boats and a big time newbie to motors. I really don't have a clue about motors other than i know what the carb is and what the spark plugs are- that's about it. I got a 1962 arkansas traveler from my neighbor that i am currently in the process of restoring- her is the link to my iboats thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820

once i get done with the restore of the boat i plan on taking the engine to my local boat dealer whom i've built a pretty good relationship with. I plan on having them doing all/most of the work on the engine because again, i have no clue.

I was hoping you guys could give me some general info on the engine so that i have a pretty good idea what kinds of questions to ask the boat shop so i have an idea of what they are talking about when they say you owe me this much money for this and that much money for that, etc...

I have the brochure and parts manual for this engine that i got off ebay. I know that it was there top of the line engine in 1961 and that it comes with the unicharger.

I really like the look of the engine for this boat and i like that it is period to the boat. I will at reasonable cost do everything i can to keep this motor for this boat.

My neighbor and i had the boat out a couple months ago and it really took off and seems to run pretty nice and smooth.

I know that these are pretty open ended questions but whatever you could offer me to help out would be greatly appreciated.

Here are pics for your viewing pleasure. More are available at my photobucket sitehttp://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/micks110/?start=all

100_3091.jpg
[/img]
100_0511.jpg
[/img]
100_0512.jpg
[/img]
100_0638.jpg
[/img]
100_0639.jpg
[/img]
100_0637.jpg
[/img]

more pics continued...

i have a 1961 starflite 3 and the boat in ur pics if ur interested ill sell it cheap just to get it out of my yard bring a trailer and cash 300 bucks and its urs anyone interested call me at 715 533 3791 i live in wisconsin the motor turns over but the starter wont kick into start it and theres a tooth broke on a gear on the starter snout i just need it gone and instead of cutting it up and scrapping the motor i thought someone could use it for parts or restore it!! Please come a\nd get it!!