New Plug and Washers... leaking on 55 hp Chrysler, why?!

Last post was a little confusing so I thought I'd simplifiy it here. Got the boat out of storage and filled lower unit. Replaced plugs and washers with ones the marina said was the right size for 559HG. But a small slow trickle runs out the lower plug. How can I rectify this issue? I've attached a photo showing the trickle

leaking lower plug.JPG

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: New Plug and Washers... leaking on 55 hp Chrysler, why?!

Are you applying fair to good torque? I use a ratchet with a socket and large screwdriver bit (blad? as wide as the slot) or a wrench on a large screwdriver. Due to my lack of hand strength or a good feel for the plug being tight enough with a plain screwdriver. I want to feel a good snug but not enough to pull any threads. Did you see the post saying that Mercury has some fiber drain plug washers that seals good and can be re-used? Also have you heard that nylon washers provide the best seal? I have always used the plastic/nylon (since 1984) w/o a problem but I feel part of the issue is, How Much Torque?

Are you applying fair to good torque? I use a ratchet with a socket and large screwdriver bit (blad? as wide as the slot) or a wrench on a large screwdriver. Due to my lack of hand strength or a good feel for the plug being tight enough with a plain screwdriver. I want to feel a good snug but not enough to pull any threads. Did you see the post saying that Mercury has some fiber drain plug washers that seals good and can be re-used? Also have you heard that nylon washers provide the best seal? I have always used the plastic/nylon (since 1984) w/o a problem but I feel part of the issue is, How Much Torque?

My partner-in-crime is a mechanic and had it plenty tight with a screwdriver. I also tightened it again (didnt budge) after we noticed the slow trickle again. It's on there TIGHT. It's a crush gasket type washer made of nylon I do believe. I have a suspicion that the screw is going in as far as it can without making a TIGHT seal with the washer, is that possible? If so, would doubling up washers help? or are the fiber ones slightly thicker?

Any help would be great! We've finally got this boat and outboard hummin! but dont want a simple drainplug to ruin it all

wickware

Lieutenant

Have you tried running up the screw w/o the washer to see if it will snug-up? I can not visualize the screw not snugging-up. That should answer a lot. Either way except for the wrong dia washer, this is getting above me. I feel some real experience will share some info soon. Good Luck!

carholme

Rear Admiral

If for some reason this thing is not going to seal for you, especially after you described what seemed to be adequate torque applied, you may have to think about draining the LU and getting into the threads with a 10 X loupe and see if you might have a crack in the housing emanating from or extending into the threads.

Gerry

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You sure the old washer is out of the hole??
Sometimes they get doubled up.
I like the Mercury drain seals.
Fiber or paper.They can be re-used again and again.
The plastic CRUSH washers are good but don't always work twice.
Someone said something about a crack.It's possible the area has a stress crack.
Some people tighten the screws WAY to tight.When you need a breaker bar to undo them then someones gone to far.J

You sure the old washer is out of the hole??
Sometimes they get doubled up.
I like the Mercury drain seals.
Fiber or paper.They can be re-used again and again.
The plastic CRUSH washers are good but don't always work twice.
Someone said something about a crack.It's possible the area has a stress crack.
Some people tighten the screws WAY to tight.When you need a breaker bar to undo them then someones gone to far.J

We've always been able to remove the drain plugs by hand without grunting so hopefully there is no crack. After the 1st leaking plug, we even polished the opening with a dremel to make sure nothing was hanging up the washer. Today I went back to the marina because also needed a new Zerk that went AWOL. Picked up a couple new washers that look twice as think, are blue, and I'm excited about putting on the LU. The other Mercury yellow thin ones I wasnt excited about from the minute I touched 'em but I was assured they were perfect for the job. Fingers crossed!

Finally, what if it is cracked. What kind of $$$ are we talking to replace it? Or could it be repaired/sealed? Thanks Everyone!

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've tried a few "marine" washer that should have sealed..

Ended up buying a handful of nylon washers at CarQuest. They were about 8 cents a piece. Seal my LU up nice.

My excitment for the new washers that looked a bit thicker and better made for the job faded fast! After an hour, the new washers are right back to their old tricks... still leaking.

Do I now have to find a new lower housing? Could I try re-tapping the screw hole or is that a waste of time?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Can you take some real close pics?? Pics of the screw too??
Unless it's been stripped or has a crack it should seal.
I've seen people use a small pipe plug with a rubber washer.Even a modified fender bolt???
Ugly but effective.
There isin't a lot of metal in the boss to re-tap.
The re-tap,the screw is holding?Just leaking? No reason to retap.
The sealing surface might need touching up(pics).

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Is using "Teflon pipe tape" on the treads with the washer an option?
2. Did you run the screw up w/o a washer to see if it seats against the metal good?

1. Is using "Teflon pipe tape" on the treads with the washer an option?
2. Did you run the screw up w/o a washer to see if it seats against the metal good?

I think pipe tape is my next fix after we run it once or twice to at least get some use out of the gear oil thats in there. We've already went through 2 pints without even starting it! The screw does get right up to the metal w/o the washer and we did polish up the metal before the last 2 attempts.

Now here's another confusing result. We put on the thicker blue washers. They didnt hold at first and had the same small trickle. I'd say it lost about 3-4 oz. Then it stopped trickling after a few hours! It held for about 16 hours, then it started raining today and the small trickle has showed up again. Yes, it's been cleaned vigorously with WD-40 or brake cleaner (whichever is on had at the time) every time we filled it. Plus, the liquid was positively ID'd as gear oil coming right from the fill plug and had built up about 4 drips since the rain started. Am I in for a pressure testing and re-sealing? Just how hard is it to re-seal for an amateur (myself) and a professional mechanic (my partner)?

Can you take some real close pics?? Pics of the screw too??
Unless it's been stripped or has a crack it should seal.
I've seen people use a small pipe plug with a rubber washer.Even a modified fender bolt???
Ugly but effective.
There isin't a lot of metal in the boss to re-tap.
The re-tap,the screw is holding?Just leaking? No reason to retap.
The sealing surface might need touching up(pics).

Next time we drain the thing we will get close pictures of everything. I'm about ready to just fill the thing with JB Weld! We never had water in there before and it's never leaked before. So frustrating!

stubtail

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Makesure that the surface the gasket / washer bears against is flat and isn't gouged, scratched or nicked. You may also get by with an o-ring under the plug head.

Ok, is it possible that the prop nut seal could be causing this "trickle"? After thinking through everything we did the last few times winterizing this boat, the ONLY thing we did different this time getting it out of storage was checking for crud behind the prop. Is it possible that we somehow boogered up the prop nut seal causing this small trickle at the fill hole? It does seem like a streatch but I'm reaching for ANYTHING at this point.

Couldnt get a good picture of the hole but trust me that it is smooth with no cracks. Threads look fine both in the hole and on the plug. Going to try some leftover plumbers tape today along with a felt and nylon washers. wish me luck!