How to adjust timing on 35 hp Chrysler???

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to check the timing on my 1967 Chrysler 35 hp.....model 35742 serial 1147. Can someone please walk me through the steps? I need to know where the timing marks are, where the timing should be at. etc..........how about the points gap as well? Thanks!!!

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: How to adjust timing on 35 hp Chrysler???

I have always found my dirty points as my problem on my 1970 35 HP Chrysler vs timing since 1985.

1. Are you having problems to feel your timing is off? If so, what are the problems? Have you checked the point's conditions and gap?

2. Have you moved anything that would have changed your timing?

3. Timing is not easy as a timing light and 28?32 degree marks IMO. Checking clean .20 on the points is easy.

4. Have you checked the timing procedures in a manual and find it fairly clear? Static timing old VWs helps me.

Good Luck! jow

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have always found my dirty points as my problem on my 1970 35 HP Chrysler vs timing since 1985.

1. Are you having problems to feel your timing is off? If so, what are the problems? Have you checked the point's conditions and gap?

2. Have you moved anything that would have changed your timing?

3. Timing is not easy as a timing light and 28?32 degree marks IMO. Checking clean .20 on the points is easy.

4. Have you checked the timing procedures in a manual and find it fairly clear? Static timing old VWs helps me.

Good Luck! jow

I've only run the motor in a barrel so far. I just wanted to make sure it was good before I drive 120 miles to the lake.

wickware

Lieutenant

You Have A Very Good Point That I Have Faced!

1. Are you saying you?ll fish 120 mi away vs having a local small lake/pond you can power test in vs the barrel?

2. The power test in the water w/o leaving the trailer makes a difference vs a barrel test.

3. I would say if it starts, idles gives a good small burst of medium rpm, ?All Good?, it?s possibly ready.

4. It w/n hurt to check the points since that?s easy. BUT! Do you know any personal history of the motor or have checked Lower Unit?

5. The 35 HP Chrysler I has been a dream vs problems since 1985, due to PO care and yearly inspections and care.

Please ask any questions or for any pics I might help you with. jow

fucawi

Banned

slow down points is 15 thou on the coil igniton and 20 thou on the mag .cdi ....if its coils you can check the timing with a bulb or a multimeter.....

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

slow down points is 15 thou on the coil igniton and 20 thou on the mag .cdi ....if its coils you can check the timing with a bulb or a multimeter.....

Yup, mine's a mag ignition. The manual also says 0.020 for the points gap. Thanks, fucawi!!!

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

You Have A Very Good Point That I Have Faced!

1. Are you saying you?ll fish 120 mi away vs having a local small lake/pond you can power test in vs the barrel?

2. The power test in the water w/o leaving the trailer makes a difference vs a barrel test.

3. I would say if it starts, idles gives a good small burst of medium rpm, ?All Good?, it?s possibly ready.

4. It w/n hurt to check the points since that?s easy. BUT! Do you know any personal history of the motor or have checked Lower Unit?

5. The 35 HP Chrysler I has been a dream vs problems since 1985, due to PO care and yearly inspections and care.

Please ask any questions or for any pics I might help you with. jow

1. Yup, where I go fishing is pretty much 120 miles away. I live in Winnipeg, so we have the Red River in town but, due to spring flooding, there still are no docks useable in town.
2. It was suggested to me recently by someone (maybe it was you) on iboats to do an on trailer power test. Although I like that idea, I won't be able to do it near home before I head to the lake.
3. It started beautifully. It idled like a dream. I gave it a few bursts of throttle. Everything checked out great in a barrel!
4. Yup, my brother in law is coming over tonight to give me a hand with setting points gap and timing. I know no personal history of the motor. I threw a lower unit from a 45 on there since the 35 lower unit was trashed. I replaced all seals and gaskets.
5. I hope I have the same fortune as you with my 35!

Thanks for your help in the past and the offer of future help and pics.

wickware

Lieutenant

I hope all your testing and trip goes well. The 100-degree heat has slowed us/me here in North TX.

1. Do you have your harmonic puller handy and ready for pulling the flywheel? Be careful not to damage a coil with long screws as I almost did.

2. What method will you use to check the timing? I have tried the static, counting flywheel teeth w/o feeling much comfort compared to performance. I also checked to timing advance with a fixed mark and a clip-on timing light (that showed advancing).

3. Have you checked pionts in a magneto sys before (under the flywheel)?

4. Maybe one of your local marinas will let you use their tanks to power test. Good Luck! Jow

Attachments

• Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller 2.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller 2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System 2.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System 2.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Harmonic Balance Puller.jpg
    Harmonic Balance Puller.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope all your testing and trip goes well. The 100-degree heat has slowed us/me here in North TX.

1. Do you have your harmonic puller handy and ready for pulling the flywheel? Be careful not to damage a coil with long screws as I almost did.

2. What method will you use to check the timing? I have tried the static, counting flywheel teeth w/o feeling much comfort compared to performance. I also checked to timing advance with a fixed mark and a clip-on timing light (that showed advancing).

3. Have you checked pionts in a magneto sys before (under the flywheel)?

4. Maybe one of your local marinas will let you use their tanks to power test. Good Luck! Jow

I got a link from carholme on here that shows and explains how to time it and check points gap. I've worked on a lot of stuff in my life (mostly motorcycles), so it's not really foreign to me. My flywheel comes off quite nicely with a "pop" from a hammer on the nut. The first time I took it off I used a puller, though. As far as power testing, I already have it mounted to the boat. We're gonna do the best we can tonight.....max advance, points, etc........and hope for the best on Saturday. Thanks for your input, I value it! And, thanks for the well wishes......I'll take all the cheering I can get...

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the points gapped. Got the timing adjusted. She runs like a top. Off to the lake this Saturday. WOOHOO......this has been a long time comin'!!!!!!!!!!!

wickware

Lieutenant

Congrats!

1. What conditions were the points in? Were there any surprises/disappointments in the area?

2. What method of timing did you use? Was it off?

3. Sounds like you saw a big difference when the tasks were finished? What stood out?

jow

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats!

1. What conditions were the points in? Were there any surprises/disappointments in the area?

2. What method of timing did you use? Was it off?

3. Sounds like you saw a big difference when the tasks were finished? What stood out?

jow

Points were/are in great shape. One was 20 thou..........the other was 18 thou.........so we adjusted the 18 to 20...........the timing was out a bit. There's a chisel mark on the stator plate that is supposed to line up with the "joint" in the two halfs of the motor. It was out a bit. With the "adjustment arm" we lined up the chisel mark with the joint and away it went. Well, it started great before that, but it's nice to know that the timing is on the money. Runs awesome!! My confidence in this motor is building!!!

wickware

Lieutenant

1. What boat will you be pushing on the lake with the 35 HP and some goals/expectations??

2. I push a 15? fiberglass Raycraft (3 swivel seats), it will get up quick and do 30-32 mph w/me.

3. With 2 and 8-12 hr fishing gear it will still get up good! With 3 of us, we?ll get there and back.

4. The PO advised me to run it dry per trip (too much gas in 1985), stabil holds it off season w/ a problem.

5. Sad to say, unless I can find some energy, I will retire the boat and maintaining with any major issues.

6. Have fun, every trip was fishing, we caught enough, we just had a one man maintenance crew. LOL!

jow

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. What boat will you be pushing on the lake with the 35 HP and some goals/expectations??

2. I push a 15? fiberglass Raycraft (3 swivel seats), it will get up quick and do 30-32 mph w/me.

3. With 2 and 8-12 hr fishing gear it will still get up good! With 3 of us, we?ll get there and back.

4. The PO advised me to run it dry per trip (too much gas in 1985), stabil holds it off season w/ a problem.

5. Sad to say, unless I can find some energy, I will retire the boat and maintaining with any major issues.

6. Have fun, every trip was fishing, we caught enough, we just had a one man maintenance crew. LOL!

jow

I'm pushing a 14' fiberglass. Yours seems to have more power than mine. With me, my wife (she's tiny), and fishing gear, I got 25 mph out it. Maybe wrong prop??

wickware

Lieutenant

There are too many variables to compare IMO.

1. Is timing a true measure vs specs, trial and error and experience, after points are set to specs (28-32 deg & .020)??

2. Is a carb adjustment a true factor or the best effort from specs, trial and error and experience?

3. Weight, my fiberglass boat is a single simple hull except for the enclosed floor. I hope the hard foam is not water-logged due to condensation noticed. . I added a sealed lexan plastic window under the rear seat to try and monitor for water. I have found water from off season storage that has weakened the rear due to storing angle with bilge plug out and floor's plug in.

4. Is your prop turning free? Trot-lines and moss have gotten me. Usually this is noticeable due to sudden drops while fishing vs from the start.

5. I have never changed a prop but tried positions and Whale?s Tail to get up faster, to go back to my basics as best.

6. I have never had the time, money, experience for experimenting when I felt the boat was running good @ 35 HP. Which has always planned good.

jow

Attachments

• Tarped Boat.jpg
    Tarped Boat.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Bad Rear Boat Floor Lexan Window, silicone & Reinforced 2.jpg
    Bad Rear Boat Floor Lexan Window, silicone & Reinforced 2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's-Trailer-After-Painting-3-05.jpg
    Boat's-Trailer-After-Painting-3-05.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I'll just leave it as is. It starts great, it runs perfect, and it gets out of the hole just fine.

I attached a few pics for you to see what condition my boat and trailer started in, and what condition they're in now. :D

Attachments

• IMG00115-20101012-1324.jpg
    IMG00115-20101012-1324.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 104_0233.jpg
    104_0233.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 0
  • 104_0229.jpg
    104_0229.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC_0152.JPG
    PIC_0152.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 0

wickware

Lieutenant

Prop size/dept/angle, hull style/size, weight distribution, all play big differences in how quick a boat will plane. The extra weight is my only experience. Plus, the quicker it planes the quicker you will reach your best MPH. My 32-35 MPH was clocked by a boat running beside me vs me knowing it was a true speed. I ran an after-market tach off #1?s plug wire for years to know I was running my best RPM after that was established by me vs true (knowing I was tuned good with no trot-line or moss resistance on the prop). The Bottom Line Is I Have Been Satisfied Since 1985. The Monster Gets Up Quick For My Use. How Many Yards Would = Quick?

A few attachments will show:
1. My simple hull int. front and back
2. Rear hull style (55 HP cal on 35 HP eng), prop style/size, running dept and angle
3. Past tach.

jow

Attachments

• Tachs Pick-up Is #1 Plug (3).JPG
    Tachs Pick-up Is #1 Plug (3).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler (1).JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler (1).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat's Orange Plastic Bumpers To Guides.JPG
    Boat's Orange Plastic Bumpers To Guides.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 0