thanks for all your help

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1961 Evinrude Spring on carburetor

What does the spring do?

Does the carb look anything at all like THIS ONE The spring #4 on that is just a throttle return spring.

BTW it is a dumb idea to put your email address on a publicly accessible forum. I think it may be against the forum rules as well.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are talking about the spring clip on the float valve, is it assembled correctly? It snaps into the groove on the needle and then the long end goes over the float arm so that when the float drops, it drags the needle out of the seat.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Under a typical rebuild, you wouldn't pull the spring off of the butterfly shaft. If there is any issues there, then it's best to get a different carb.

If your talking about the thin spring wire like mechanism, (which for some reason isn't shown in Vic.S' picture) that should attach to the needle (18) and hook under the small arm, on the float (20) where the needle rides.

As F_R stated that is there to pull the needle down, off of the seated position, when the fuel level drops. Sometimes, a needle can stick in the seat, especially the rubber ones that are newer. This little device just pulls it down when the float drops. So, if you're resting the little hook portion on top of the float arm, then it's likely then, it's holding the needle firmly into the seat and not allowing it to open. You can actually operate it without this spring mechanism, but then you run a chance of the needle sticking.
It's best to not have any up and down play with this set up, so it will work properly.

Good Luck I hope this helps. I hope everyone has a great Christmas. Stay safe and warm. :cool::cool:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

which for some reason isn't shown in Vic.S' picture
its a picture of a later model that obviously does not have the little spring on the needle valve. I know what you mean though.
I just used it because it was all I could find and had no idea what spring wright1 meant. Still dont know!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

yea, I believe it is the spring that goes around the needle. That's the only other one I can think of, other than the throttle shaft.:cool: