First ride in the boat - had to paddle back

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice
I got an 89 Capri with the L-Drive 3 cylinder 2 cycle from a friend that needed a few repairs with the carpeting and other upholstery.

downsized_0718091421.jpg

I ran the boat for a little bit with the prop submersed in a container of water. It seemed to idle fine and everything, when I would throttle it up it started to smoke, then on deceleration it sounded like it was rattling or something was loose. Afterwards it smelled hot so I let it sit, but fired it up again to be sure it was still OK.

Today I put it in the lake for the first time. After cranking it for 15-30 seconds it started up and sounded pretty good. It was misfiring a bit, but I assumed it was just cold so I let it warm up a bit - maybe 2-3 minutes and started out on the lake. I was able to give it full to half throttle for about a minute or so before it shut down - smelling hot once again. So I pulled the plugs to see if they were fouled or anything and this is what I found:

0719091504.jpg

Even though the picture doesn't really do it justice, the plug is covered in silver deposits. It appears that cylinder number two was seeing some detonation and probably burned down. After a compression test I'm going to be looking to rebuild this thing. I know there isn't much out there for parts but I was hoping you guys would have an idea as where to start looking.

Thanks,

Aaron

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: First ride in the boat - had to paddle back

First thing you need to do is a compression test to see if the cylinder is damaged. Sometimes if you catch it fast enough, the aluminum throw off only shorts the plug and the cylinder is not scored. So do a compression test.

The engine is a standard Force 90 HP engine. The only difference in the L Drive is that the crankshaft is balanced differently (So I have been Told--have not seen it for myself) Thus: parts to rebuild the engine are available at most parts sites. It is the drive parts that are difficult to find. I prefer Wiseco pistons because they are easier to install.

If it is only one piston and cylinder that is affected, repairs may not be that expensive either, so rebuilding is a viable option.

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

I've had a hard time looking for replacement parts. Thanks for the help thus far.

JoeJITSU

Cadet

Bring it to an expert. I hope you didn't pay too much. Hate to see anyone get problems like this paying too much.

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

Bring it to an expert. I hope you didn't pay too much. Hate to see anyone get problems like this paying too much.

I've pulled apart my fair share of two stoke engines before and I'm thinking I have a gummed up carb, leaned out the mixture on the middle cylinder, and burned it down.

That and I'm trying to make this economical. lol

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

I've been looking online and a rebuild kit for that motor is over $600. Has anyone ever converted from a 85 hp Force L-Drive to a Ford 2.3 or other optional engine found in the Capri? Obviously the rear of the boat would need to be reworked to accommodate the different layout...

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Wait a second. I have never, ever, in my wildest dreams and nightmares, ever seen a plug which remotely resembles that plug. It looks as though someone literally chopped the top 3/8" from a 'normal' plug! Are you guys all saying this is what the L-drive plug is supposed to look like?

Also, sorry about your first time out. Heck of a first 'fun' trip :(

forceboy

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about your luck Leviathan - sounds alot like my experience with my boat - same boat, same motor. I have been fighting an overheating problem for 2 years - from all of my reading i have yet to find any motor that can be put in the boat other than another force. Please keep posting about your motor - maybe we can come up with some solutions.

PS - I put in Wiseco's and had my cylinders punched for around $400.

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

Wait a second. I have never, ever, in my wildest dreams and nightmares, ever seen a plug which remotely resembles that plug. It looks as though someone literally chopped the top 3/8" from a 'normal' plug! Are you guys all saying this is what the L-drive plug is supposed to look like?

Also, sorry about your first time out. Heck of a first 'fun' trip :(

I know what you mean. Like the plug strap is gone? Rotary plugs are like that as well.

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about your luck Leviathan - sounds alot like my experience with my boat - same boat, same motor. I have been fighting an overheating problem for 2 years - from all of my reading i have yet to find any motor that can be put in the boat other than another force. Please keep posting about your motor - maybe we can come up with some solutions.

PS - I put in Wiseco's and had my cylinders punched for around $400.

I recently read that even the hull design is different. I don't know if that is true or not. Where did you find your pistons/rings/headgasket?

john from md

Commander

Surface gap plugs are used in engines that usually are run at high rpms most of the time. If you don't have them in your large Force engine, you probably have the wrong plugs in it.

John

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Surface gap plugs are used in engines that usually are run at high rpms most of the time. If you don't have them in your large Force engine, you probably have the wrong plugs in it.

John

S31A.jpg

forceboy

Seaman Apprentice

I recently read that even the hull design is different. I don't know if that is true or not. Where did you find your pistons/rings/headgasket?

Yeah - no transom to mount an outboard, and open bottom so you can put a standard outdrive on. If you are good at fibreglass you may be able to mount transom, but I know my boat is worth that much money!

I bought pistons and rings from a boating site over the net - don't exactly remeber who, but I am sure iboats can probably get you what you need. Did you get a chance to check compression? That sould be your first step.

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, and I really hope it's OK. I already have an engine from a car I'm rebuilding in the garage I really don't have the time or money for this too.

forceboy

Seaman Apprentice

There are some good instructions and picture on how to mount temp and pressure gauges in your boat in this forum. I think that may be my next project. I have not run this boat for more rthan 1/2 an hour in the last 2 years. I bored it out 40 thou over so I can't afford another melt down! Got to fix my overheat problem.

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

There are some good instructions and picture on how to mount temp and pressure gauges in your boat in this forum. I think that may be my next project. I have not run this boat for more rthan 1/2 an hour in the last 2 years. I bored it out 40 thou over so I can't afford another melt down! Got to fix my overheat problem.

Have you checked the waterpump?

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I'm going up to diagnose it today I'll report my findings.

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

Well a compression test showed 75, 25, and 50 psi. Time for a rebuild. I found that cyl #2 did have detonation like I suspected.

Leviathan

Seaman Apprentice

Now I'm having a hell of a time pulling the 'flywheel' off the top of the motor. I've used a pulled, penetrating oil, and even a hammer. Any suggestions?