Humminbird 570DI fishfinder..cheap way to add 2nd transducer?

BonairII

Commander
I have a Humminbird 570DI fishfinder. Currently the transducer is mounted on the transom....and the display is on the bow. I want to add a trolling motor mounted transducer. I'll be using the transom transducer when the boat is underway...and the bow mount transducer when fishing.

An extra down imaging transducer is around $159 bucks and a transducer switch is $89! crazy prices IMO.

Is there a cheaper option(universal transducer maybe?) that will work with my Humminbird? And a cheaper switch than the $89 Humminbird switch?

The transom mount transducer is only going to be used to keep track of water depth(keeping propeller safe).

Worse case....I'll just buy/use a cheapo fishfinder and use it for the transom depth readings, and use the 570 at the front of the boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Humminbird 570DI fishfinder..cheap way to add 2nd transducer?

Might be best to pick up a used cheapie complete unit for the stern. There aren't any universal transducers, you're stuck with OEM.

EDIT - I have to change what I said a little. The uni's are on trolling motors, but as far as I can tell, not free standing.

Last edited:

BonairII

Commander

Adding a 2nd FF is probably the smarter option...that way if one FF fails, I'll have a spare. Going to order a Garmin Echo 100 for the stern.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Might be best to pick up a used cheapie complete unit for the stern. There aren't any universal transducers, you're stuck with OEM.
Which OEM? The one that made the sonar unit or the one that made the transducer?

BonairII

Commander

Pulled the trigger on a Humminbird Piranhamax 143 yesterday. Bought it at local Wally world...rather than order the Garmin online.

Bought a trolling motor transducer bracket and mounted the 570 DI transducer.
DA158A02-1048-41FF-A517-E352E875028D_zps20tkwxfz.jpg

All that's left to do is to connect the Piranhamax to power....and fab up some kind of guard to protect the trolling motor transducer. The skeg will handle most of the protection, but I want something to deflect weed/debris so nothing snags the cable or transducer when I'm powering thru the thick stuff. Probably going to JB weld some kind DIY deflector on either side of the skeg.

Haven't decided whether to permanently mount the receiver to the console...or make some kind of magnetic mount so that it can be moved at will(i.e. mounted astern when fishing from rear of boat).

Last edited: