Alpa1 gen 2 Lower Geracase Damage

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well it happened today when we were out. On this new river for the first time, following the buoy and markers and right in the middle of the lane i hit a spot that was 1ft under the water..Tell me I was not happy...no marker....I just finished going by the green buoy to my left and no red between me and the shore..and I was returning back RRR..so you would figure all should be good...Oh well no since in whining it happened....but my question is I need a lower unit...do you think i damaged the upper unit...it shifts fine etc when i made it to shore...but like i said the unit had the bottom out of it and the oil was gone...Thanks for any info and suggestions guys....
I am new to boating and glad i decided to buy an older boat to venture out on the waters and become familiar with them instead of going new...
Then comes the fiberglass repair...should not be too bad as I use to build bathtubs and have built boats from scratch. Again thanks for any info in advance

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpa1 gen 2 Lower Geracase Damage

Any pics of the damage to the unit?

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

no pics , but all I can say is the prop is less 2 blades and the the front head of the cone of the lower unit has a big 2 inch hole through it . The gash on the bottom is not to nice either . Only thing that saved us was the chine board , it never let the hole go right through the boat. I was planning on painting the boat this winter,as previous owner had some damage on the bottom .

Mercury13

Seaman Apprentice

It may be quicker to find the whole outdrive vs. just the lower.
When searching for parts etc. on Craigslist there seem to be quite a few alpha's available.
Sorry for the mishap.

Mercury13

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think someone would have to look at the upper to determine if it has sustained any damage.

You may be money + time ahead replacing both. There are options - new, used, rebuilt, etc. depending on what you want, how much you want to spend, and how much time you want to spend out of service.

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies guys and the concern..I am a little sore today it was actually quit a hard hit....took it to the local shop here yesterday...his attitude was if you made it back to the dock and had no different noises you might get by with just the lower unit. So I picked one up on ebay yesterday. My boat is a 1993 and just trying to see if we like boating and I don't have alot tied up into it, so I will probaly do the bottom end first, check the top end bearings out for noises or roughness and hope for the best. Few I talked to had the same impression since it got me home just idling along. I am mechanically inclined around cars and have rebuilt rearends etc after blowing the gears up. So if all else fails after getting it together I guess I will look for a top end or do some gear work up there. I just want to get it back together so there is oil on everything for the winter. It probaly will not get back in the water this year as I have to do some bottom repair. I will start another thread when i start the fiberglass repair..it has been 20 years since i actually did fiberglass and gelcoat...and I see there is alot of different products out there today.Thanks again guys