HELP.... Advice on connecting new head unit / amp to house batteries

jyankeefan

Recruit
I have a 2008 Tahoe Q6 s/f. I am looking to add a new head unit (UH) Clarion M502, amp Memphis Car Audio 16-PRX4.50 and four new speakers Memphis Car Audio 15-MXA62 (currently only have two original speakers). I am taking this to have done at a local car audio store, they have done boats in the past. I wanted them to advise me on how to power everything the best way but the need to see the boat first. Wanting to make sure they will be doing the best, I have looked online / asked my marina but still I am confused, so I am coming here for your collective expertise...

Current setup is mostly factory: Starting battery powering everything but trolling motor (TM) / HOUSE 2 deep cycle (I added one) powering only trolling motor with a AC Guest 2611A Charge Pro Series Marine Battery Charger.

Want to add the above HU / amp and power it with my two house batteries. I purchased a Blue Sea Systems 9001-e Selector Battery Switch so I can use either house battery or both to power the the HU / amp / TM. I figured I will have enough juice to run them with the two House batteries as I charge them nightly at the doc.

Is this okay?

If so, now connecting everything...

Other then the battery switch I do not have any electrical parts.

Since I will not be going through the starting battery for HU power, I think I would need a Aux fuse box. I would mount the aux fuse box / HU / AMP in the same area (where HU in now).

In back where the 2 House batteries are, I would mount the battery switch. House 1 positive to position 1 on battery switch, House 2 positive to position 2 on battery switch and run the common to the new aux fuse box.

I probable would like to have an on/off switch for this setup. Can / should I tie it into the current one?

Both negative house batteries to a bar in the back and then one wire up to new aux fuse box up front.

To charge the two house batteries I would tie the Guest AC charger to both of the house batteries..

Being new to all of this I think I need help. I want to do the the best way possible. Please let me know if I am or if I should be doing something else. My main objective was keeping the starting battery only doing what it is meant for.. starting my boat.

Thank you in advance for the advise..

jyankeefan

Recruit
Re: HELP.... Advice on connecting new head unit / amp to house batteries

Any advise would help...

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: HELP.... Advice on connecting new head unit / amp to house batteries

I have a 2008 Tahoe Q6 s/f. I am looking to add a new head unit (UH) Clarion M502, amp Memphis Car Audio 16-PRX4.50 and four new speakers Memphis Car Audio 15-MXA62 (currently only have two original speakers). I am taking this to have done at a local car audio store, they have done boats in the past. I wanted them to advise me on how to power everything the best way but the need to see the boat first. Wanting to make sure they will be doing the best, I have looked online / asked my marina but still I am confused, so I am coming here for your collective expertise...

Current setup is mostly factory: Starting battery powering everything but trolling motor (TM) / HOUSE 2 deep cycle (I added one) powering only trolling motor with a AC Guest 2611A Charge Pro Series Marine Battery Charger.

Want to add the above HU / amp and power it with my two house batteries. I purchased a Blue Sea Systems 9001-e Selector Battery Switch so I can use either house battery or both to power the the HU / amp / TM. I figured I will have enough juice to run them with the two House batteries as I charge them nightly at the doc.

Is this okay?

If so, now connecting everything...

Other then the battery switch I do not have any electrical parts.

Since I will not be going through the starting battery for HU power, I think I would need a Aux fuse box. I would mount the aux fuse box / HU / AMP in the same area (where HU in now). Shouldn't need a separate fuse block as the HU and amp should have inline fuses, but not a bad idea?

In back where the 2 House batteries are, I would mount the battery switch. House 1 positive to position 1 on battery switch, House 2 positive to position 2 on battery switch and run the common to the new aux fuse box. Sounds good.

I probable would like to have an on/off switch for this setup. Can / should I tie it into the current one? If you have the amp connected to the power switch on the HU (Blue Wire), it should all be controlled by turning stereo on/off? Again, the switch is not needed, but not a bad idea?

Both negative house batteries to a bar in the back and then one wire up to new aux fuse box up front. If used, Sounds good too!

To charge the two house batteries I would tie the Guest AC charger to both of the house batteries..

Being new to all of this I think I need help. I want to do the the best way possible. Please let me know if I am or if I should be doing something else. My main objective was keeping the starting battery only doing what it is meant for.. starting my boat. As long as the dual battery switch is not connected to the starting battery, then it should be isolated and not create an issue. If the existing stereo power is connected to the ignition on/off (ACC) position, that will need to be connected to the + side of the house batteries or "new" switch, if used? Which according to your detailed connection description, that's already been addressed!

Thank you in advance for the advise..

~Brett

Last edited: