Vhf radio question

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I all. I have a standard horizon radio in my new boat but I just got a hand held standard horizon vhf radio given to me. It's old and in good condition ( hx250s ) my question is how do I know it works? It gets the wether Channel just fine dose that mean it will pick up chit chat from other boaters. I tried putting it on and the one in my boat on the same channel and it receives the signal but it seems when I pushed the talk button my radio in the boat does not pick it up but if I use the radio on the boat the hand held receives it. Is this a common problem or on my not doing something right. Thanks dan

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Vhf radio question

I all. I have a standard horizon radio in my new boat but I just got a hand held standard horizon vhf radio given to me. It's old and in good condition ( hx250s ) my question is how do I know it works? It gets the whether Channel just fine dose that mean it will pick up chit chat from other boaters. I tried putting it on and the one in my boat on the same channel and it receives the signal but it seems when I pushed the talk button my radio in the boat does not pick it up but if I use the radio on the boat the hand held receives it. Is this a common problem or on my not doing something right. Thanks dan

Howdy Dan.
Sounds like the finals in the hand held are blown. Your radio receives but will not transmit. You could call/email Standard and they have an exchange plan but could cost about the same as a new one

Thalasso

Commander

You are receiving if you can hear the weather. (good way to check). Now the transmitting is another story.
is the TX light is coming on when you press the transmit button to talk.
If it is coming on...chances are it is an antenna/wire corrosion issue.If not...time for a new radio.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

So if it gets the wether channel then it will pick up other boaters ? I really just want it to listen anyway wile I'm parked or surf fishing

UncleWillie

Captain

What chanel are you using? And what configuration are the radios set to? USA, Canada, International?

Some channels are Duplex. They Transmit on different frequencies than they Receive.
You can talk to a Shore Station (CG) on them, but not to another Ship Station.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try the same thing on say Channel 11

But new ones are so cheap and will have new batteries too !

Dave

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There are actually a few things you can try
1. Download the user manual for the radio and verify it is set up correctly
2. Make sure you have fresh batteries ( for example: transmit is 2.5 watts with regular batteries and 6 watts with a fully charged lion battery)
3. Do a Coast Guard Radio Check
4. Replace it with a new DSC unit

jhebert

Ensign

A general rule in diagnosis of electronics:

If a device is operated from a battery, the first component to check is the battery.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

But if he is on a duplex channel, this would legitimately give the symptoms he describes? Hence my suggestion to try on say Channel 11 to his working one on the boat ?

This is a simple test, others can follow later (tests that is)?

Dave

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Even on a duplex channel he still may not have enough power to transmit.

Receiving takes very little power
Transmitting takes full power

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

So would you suggest he doesn't try ? As first step ? I'm intrigued , what would be your first step ?

Dave

UncleWillie

Captain

The HX-250s has a continuous battery indicator on the display.
His TX Indicator is illuminating with the PTT Button. The radio thinks it is Transmitting.
If the batteries were on their last leg, the radio usually goes dark when you try to key it up.

By all means try it on a known Simplex Channel.
Ch.11 is restricted to Port Operations use in some areas.
Recommended Simplex Channels 68,69,71,and 72 are universally available for Non-Commercial Ship to Ship Communications.
A 3 second test. What does he have to lose?

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think you are right the battery charges enough to listen but not enough to transmit.

UncleWillie

Captain

I think you are right the battery charges enough to listen but not enough to transmit.

According to the HX-250S Manual, Section 3.2, if you press the PTT Button and the TX/BUSY Lamp illuminates, and the BATT Display Does NOT Blink, It is Transmitting!

There will be a "U" in the Upper Left corner of the display for USA Mode.
Many channels are Duplex in "I"nternational Mode.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it dose light up and no the battery dose not flash and I can hear the clicking on the radio on my boat but nothing that I'm saying.