Video Question, Maybe very bad issue!!!!

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I got my transom wood all cut out today....That 4 1/2 grinder with cutoff wheel was invaluable!!! it cut through like butter! But theres a possible serious hull glass issue and i need some expert advice!

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnO75ro-EVo

Here are a couple pics!

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Video Question, Maybe very bad issue!!!!

whoops...it is in resto...lol.

ok.....i would need to be there.

what is under the glass?......is that a cored hull? or possibly some kind of liner?

what is the make and year of the boat?

cored hulls are different. but not irreparable.

and relax....there is no damage on a glass boat that cannot be fixed.

need to determine a few things first before i can suggest a course of action.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

naw......'ell no.

from the stills it just looks like a beefed up bilge.

the hull of the boat is clear on the outside chines,,,,,,its not cored but the bilge for some stupid reason might be.

(a lot of builders put a kinda void area in the bilge...i still dont freekin no why.

grind it....then glass it 3 wraps of 1708 and you are thicker than your hull

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No its not a cored hull...its just a layer of mat over the actual hull glass. I really don't want to have to grind all that out, maybe be way beyond my skill. and time =\

its a 21' 1977 Colubian Cuddy here is my original reto thread....i'm going to be making a new resto thread that makes sense over the weekend because mine kinda got off the course.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=282923&highlight=lucid484

there was all foam under the deck and it gave the hull its stiffness , as of right now its vey "bendy" lol..

oops!

Supreme Mariner

we were typing at the same time as i re checked the still shots bud....glass away

oops!

Supreme Mariner

read the post #3...the one just above yours

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hahah my baby keeps taking me for a loop!

that glass goes all the way from gunwale to gunwale under the stringers....thats gonna be alot of grinding and I hope I dont go thru the hull lol

can I just do 1 side at a time while i replace the stringers...i dont want to loose the shape and where the stringers are real loose i feel like ill fall through the boat.

but right now i need to focus on grinding down the resin from from the wood on the exterior shell of the transom...i'd like to get it installed by end of year and it will be my first time glassing so i'll know what to expect when i get to that next issue......god this boats gonna be a tank!!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi Lucid..

First off.. I see braces you put in there with simple 2x4's ? not coated or anything ? .. aye your replacement is improper if its what Im seeing.

3 layers of 1708 will not get you there on the transome..

You should not of cut all of that out.. only the bad trans.. there was nothing wrong with the upper layers of fab-glass for your cockpit wrap..

Do this repair in 2-3 stages.. first the trans ( core it with ply or not but build and glass below the waterline like before ).

Then make molds/forms for your cockpit ( screw some door skin to make your cockpit angles and glass from the inside ).

Big/small deal if you look at it from the right point of view..

YD.

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yacht Dr. I did not put those braces in at all LOL the PO had put those in to suport a carpeted solid feeling un-fiberglassed PT deck!!!! he had sold this boat to my friend for a few grand and he didnt knwo better and thought it was in amazign shape...i knew better and he gave me this project for FREE ;)

I don't think the transom will be that hard..the hardest part in that area is the part that sticks outside off the main transom where the engine mounts...its about and inch thick at bottom and 3/4 on top..not sure how to cut ply at an angle LOL... unless i make a false skin and seacast that one little part...

if you look at my original Dr. the entire transom was completely rotted and most of it turned to dirt....alot of the inner skin of glass was brittle and broke off in my hand...in fact I cannot even walk on the original stringers because they start to break under my feet.

i plan on making the transom a good 2 - 3" thick...the outboard i'll be using doesnt have a max transom thickness as the bracket just mounts flush with the top of the splashwell.

I plan on doing a little extra reinforcement when I do put the transom back in...you'll notice that the wood part of teh transom stops about 5" below teh cap at that weird protrudig angle..I plan on grinding back a bit on all side and tab out pretty far from the transon wood to make it a bit stronger.

I also plan on adding a center line below deck fuel tank under the deck...so i would have to beef up that entire area anyway....

anyone have a thought on secasting just that small portion of the potruding transom? or should i glass in some ply and build over that.

redfury

Commander

I wonder if they didn't put that glass over the more contoured section of the hull to make the inside of the hull cleaner and less likely to collect debris and cause problems...possibly trap air in case of hull failure/damage?