SPDT, DPDT, SPST, DPST switches?

JT593

Cadet
Hi, I want to swap out my switches on my 1989 Bass Tracker Magna 17 and I'm a bit confused as to what switches to order. There are 5 switches that need to be replaced 1) Bilge, 2) Interior lights 3) Accessory, 4) Nav/Anchor, 5) Aerator Manual/ Automatic. Since a good replacement switch is in the $12 range I would like to be sure that I'm ordering the right ones. The schematic shows many different configurations of switches, that being said I see that some switches wires under the dash are ganged up using a double pronged connecter crimped to the wire. Thanks for your help. JonTrackerMagna17switchesa.jpg

Re: SPDT, DPDT, SPST, DPST switches?

strange but switch 5 looks like it would never work as the red and green are dual on the same terminal and im sure that green is meant to be dual connected to the pump terminal with the brown orange.

Edit: after blowing up print I can now see that the red jumps the green so the green is connected to the brown/orange so the print is correct

The switch for the bilge pump is the original a 2 way (auto/manual) or a 3 way (auto/off/manual) as that's not clear on the print I think the terminals suggest that its a 2 way.

Last edited:

2-3-6 spst
1- spdt
4- dpco
5- spco

all switchs are 12v dc illuminated, maintained, non locking

spst is a simple on off switch.
spdt is a on/on switch.
dpco is a double pole center off sometimes people call them "dpdt 3way switch on/off/on".
spco is a single pole center off sometimes people call them "spdt 3 way switch on/off/on".
maintained means the switch stays where it is placed and does not return to a set position.
illuminated just means it lights up when in one position.
non locking means you don't have to lift the switch to change position.

hope this helps and doesn't confuses you more

JT593

Cadet

Thanks Glenn, Today I pulled off the panel to try and get a better look at the back of the switches. #1 Bilge has 3 lugs on it same as #2 & #3. The other two switches each have six lugs with #4 Nav/Anc using all six lugs and #5 Aerator Man/Auto leaving one or two unused, hard to see but I did see at least one not being used. I tried taking some pictures but they just would not focus for me at the distance I needed to take them at. My current #1 bilge switch is a replacement that someone put in and its a simple on off switch.

The print shows the switchs are illuminated. Do they have lights built into the switch's.

JT593

Cadet

yes, all of them are illuminated.

pictures would help as there should be 7 terminals on the nav/anc switch unless it was specially designed for tracker. The print only shows used terminals and they have not draw the bulb in the switch in the diagram so some switchs may have extra terminals. (the new ones may have extra terminals in different places because a dpco illuminated switch has 7 or 8 terminals) The black wire that is daisy chained from switch to switch is the ground for the light in the switch are you counting that terminal if so then switch 1 is the same as switch 2-3-6- spst on/off as auto is hard wired on. Also anywhere you use a spco like the live wells you can use a dpco and just don't use all the terminals.

JT593

Cadet

Tomorrow I will pull the dash panel off again and try to get a better look at the wiring, access is pretty limited but I think if I remove one of the simple wired switches I should be able to get a better look at the nav switch.

JT593

Cadet

There are so many wires piggybacked onto single lugs that the switches are jammed tight together onthe backside which is why it's hard to see as well as only being able to tilt the panel part way down to see behind it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

There are so many wires piggybacked onto single lugs that the switches are jammed tight together onthe backside which is why it's hard to see as well as only being able to tilt the panel part way down to see behind it.

Just an idea, but before you do any thing else, take tons of pictures before removing anything. AND when you do make your decision on what replacement switches to use, replace one at a time with a wire to wire transfer. Again take tons of pictures from ever angle before starting. Being you are not too familiar with switch nomenclature and general wiring, pictures will help you beyond belief. JMHO!

Just an idea, but before you do any thing else, take tons of pictures before removing anything. AND when you do make your decision on what replacement switches to use, replace one at a time with a wire to wire transfer. Again take tons of pictures from ever angle before starting. Being you are not too familiar with switch nomenclature and general wiring, pictures will help you beyond belief. JMHO!

very well said.

JT593

Cadet

Thanks GM280, that picture taking plan is going to happen for sure. Today I pulled the panel forward again to look at the Nav/Anc and the Aerator switch as good as I can. Now the Nav /Anc switch is a six lug switch and it works just fine as it is. The Aerator switch is broken and is a six lug switch using only four of the lugs. I did notice that the wire color codes barely match the wiring diagram I'm using. Iknow the diagram is 3 years newer than my boat but it's the only thing I canfind that's even close. My plan is to replace the broken dash panel that the switches and radio are mounted in due to cracks and fading. I found some nice 1/8" ABS textured panels that will work great, just need to figure out a way to label all the switches next once I order the correct ones I need. All of the old switches installed now are Carling 12v types, I figure it's a good switch to use again. Glenn thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

If the switch's are carling then they are marked on the side with a code number just phone up and give the code numbers then they will supply you with replacements. They sell wire markers that are numbers that wrap around the wire so just number the wires and remove them (after a back up picture or 2) then replace the panel and switchs and it should be plug and play

JT593

Cadet

I looked for numbers on the switches, the name Carling, mexico and 12v is ink screened on one side but the other is blank. I'm going fishing today so I can't do much until I get home but will pull the interior light switch to examine it closer to see if maybe the numbers are moulded in it since I never use it.

JT593

Cadet

Hi Glenn, great idea in the wire markers, I see Home depots sells a nice little book of them for arou nd $7.00 as for the numbers, I cannot find a number on tnem anywhere but I thi k I know now just what switches I need to order. Just wanted to ask you one thing, the switch for the aerator has 6 lug but only uses 4 of them. Now is that because they used a DPDT switch as a SPDT? Thanks again to you and everybody else for all the help. BTW: I want to use Carlings again due to being able to get marked actuators for each switch since I wont be able to mark them in any other way.

I will be honest it could be a dpdt but the terminal assignment seems wrong. I have seen a few tricks that can be used inside the switch to make a dpdt switch work with a light like paralleling the light across the load using resistors or using the second side of the dpdt as a ground only but judging the print you have something doesn't add up. A normal switch works with the middle terminal being power and the switch send power to either side of the middle depending on switch position. That's fine on one side and as a dpdt is 2 spdt mounted side by side but looking at the print for the nav/anc light one side is spdt but the other side looks like a spst as the last terminal is being used as a ground. I will look around the net again but im going to have to admit that im clueless with out the switch number or internal switch connection diagram. Its strange since carling is normally good about marking there switchs but every carling switch I see on the net is a 7 or 8 terminal.
Im sorry but Im not the type to give advice about something im not 99% sure about. If you replace them with 8 terminal switch's then that's easy or if you get a 6 terminal with a print that's easy but until I see the print I can not really help

please try to get a picture it would really help

Last edited:

JT593

Cadet

well I finally got a chance to take the switch panel off after numbering and marking down all the wires locations. here's some pictures of the panel, I could not get one clear photo with the wires on no matter how many times I tried. here are some pictures of the switches the top switch on the three switch side is the Nav/Anchor.

Attachments

• rearrs.jpg
    rearrs.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 0
  • Nav Aerrs.jpg
    Nav Aerrs.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Backrs.jpg
    Backrs.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Frontrs.jpg
    Frontrs.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0

you will need 3 spst on/off switch's illuminated maintained and 2 dpdt on/none/on illuminated maintained switch's. The new dpdt switchs will have 7 or 8 terminals but that will not be a problem as we can just make you a conversion drawing. The original dpdt look to be on/none/(on) switch's with one terminal used as a ground.

all switchs are 12vdc.

once you have the new switch's post the details and pics and I will draw up how to wire them.