597ci HD DI Combo

natedogg3991

Cadet
First I should point out I am a Newbie to this forum and owning my own boat. I have spent a lot of time looking around the forum and fond lots of great information.

Looking to buy a new GPS/Fish Finder combo. I would like something that has good maps in my area NW MN. All the ones I have looked seem to be pretty universal in taking the LakeMaster and Navionics cards. The one that I have been looking at closely is 597ci HD DI Combo, but is at the top of my price range. I know I can get similar with out the DI for about 100 dollars less. Not sure if the DI is worth the money or not, the videos online look great but not sure about function in real world. I do a bit of trolling, casting along the shore as well as parked pan fishing. I would like to stay in the 500 dollar range or less.

The 597ci HD DI Combo also list that it comes with Humminbird UniMap, not sure if this map is worth anything or what the coverage is like in my area.

Thanks for any help.

Charlie in TX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 597ci HD DI Combo

Not sure about the maps. I think the DI would be useful in deep waters. Not so much otherwise.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I have one of these units, it lasted about 9 hours. Humminbird has had a lot of problems with pins breaking in the transducer cables. And the only fix is to buy another $200 transducer. Maybe do a google search on this problem.
I have the navionics map and it worked great. But I would recommend something other than Humminbird until they fix this problem.
I will be "fixing" mine with tinfoil scraps as a new transducer/cable will most likely suffer the same fate.

Last edited:

natedogg3991

Cadet

I have one of these units, it lasted about 9 hours. Humminbird has had a lot of problems with pins breaking in the transducer cables. And the only fix is to buy another $200 transducer. Maybe do a google search on this problem.
I have the navionics map and it worked great. But I would recommend something other than Humminbird until they fix this problem.
I will be "fixing" mine with tinfoil scraps as a new transducer/cable will most likely suffer the same fate.

I had read some post on here about that problem. I do not plan on taking it off the boat so not sure if that would be a big issue for me. It is tough to find a good option in the price range with similar features. Any other good recommendations with good maps and fish finder.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I had read some post on here about that problem. I do not plan on taking it off the boat so not sure if that would be a big issue for me. It is tough to find a good option in the price range with similar features. Any other good recommendations with good maps and fish finder.

I was shopping Lowrance when I bought the 'bird. And you are very right, it's a very good deal for the features it has. My local store has no 'ducers in stock due to this problem just to give you an idea of the scope.
If you are not going to be taking it off the mount, it shoudn't be a problem. Mine has been removed just once last fall when I winterized the boat. But I may have taken in off a couple of times during the install. But that's why they make a quick release mount, I think?
I went and had a look at the Lowrance mounts. And they are superior to the mount on my 'bird. You can save $200 now but the 'bird could cost you twice that in a couple of years. If I knew then what I know now, I would not buy the 'bird.

Alumarine

Captain

On my 858 I don't use the quick mount and I bet I've connected/reconnected mine about 100 times without any trouble.
For myself, I don't see how the "quick mount" would really be that much quicker.
I could see it being a benefit to those that can't really tell which plug goes where.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

On my 858 I don't use the quick mount and I bet I've connected/reconnected mine about 100 times without any trouble.
For myself, I don't see how the "quick mount" would really be that much quicker.
I could see it being a benefit to those that can't really tell which plug goes where.

On the 597, there is no choice but to use the mount. Unless the unit is hand held?

Alumarine

Captain

Ok, I guess the quick connector is also part of the mounting bracket?

UncleWillie

Captain

I have the 798, same mounting base.
After 2 years of removing it after every trip, ~40 times a year, I have NO issues.

The Unimaps will get you from point A to point B and accurately back to the Honey Hole (Way points).
The Unimap is fine for navigation and finding a port in the storm.
The upgrade maps add more detail about water depth.

Don't buy the Upgrade Maps until you determine the Unimap is not acceptable for your use.

Here are side by side screen-shots of the UniMap vs. Hotmaps Card Charts. For $150 you decide.

NavionicsMaps.jpg

natedogg3991

Cadet

Was at the store today and they had they Lowerance Elite-7 HDI for 100.00 more. Seemed like it was worth the money but not sure how the features compare between the two. The larger screen would be really nice but not sure if there is a loss of function between the bird and Lowerance. Thoughts if you took the screen size out of the equation?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You simply get more features for the money with the 597. I also compared it with the elite 7.
Lowrance also requires you to buy additional equipment in order to use the imaging options. I think this is another $150-$200 or so.
The 'bird is the best deal going and its hard to beat it for the money.
unclewillie says he has had no trouble with his (same mount as mine). Maybe mount it and not remove it?

Pony

Rear Admiral

You simply get more features for the money with the 597. I also compared it with the elite 7.
Lowrance also requires you to buy additional equipment in order to use the imaging options. I think this is another $150-$200 or so.
The 'bird is the best deal going and its hard to beat it for the money.
unclewillie says he has had no trouble with his (same mount as mine). Maybe mount it and not remove it?

I had a Humminbird 525 with that same quick release mount, and never had an issue. I probably removed it 50 times at least.

I currently have the 597 which I got with the used boat I purchased. I have personally removed it at least a dozen times.....no issues.

I personally will continue to take them off as the 525 was bought as a replacement to one that walked away when I was at a rest stop.

natedogg3991

Cadet

I think I have decided on the Humminbird. I had decided and purchased the Lowerance Elite 7 HD DI from the Scheels in Fargo. The main reason was their Insight Genesis that allowed you to make your own maps. A lot of the lakes around me I fish are smaller and are not really included on any of the chips. They had and still have a special listed on their website for 1 year free of the Insight Genesis (99.00 value). So I paid 699.99 for the 7 HD DI with transducer. When I got back home and went to print out the rebate and register the form showed it had expired on the 21st of July. I email Lowrance customer service to ask if this had been extended since it is still showing on the product page and got a smart reply that it had not and if it had it would show on the website. No apology about the mistake or the website being wrong. Then looking closer at the box I noticed it had the cheaper model with out DI part number on it. It seems that Sheels is taking the less expansive ones and putting the DI transducer in the box. I am not sure if this would have made a difference in the operation but that was enough for me and I returned it.

The Fleet Farm near where I live has two on sale. They have the 597ci HD DI for 540.00, they also have the 598ci HD SI on sale for 700.00. From what I can tell the only difference between the two is Side Imagining? Is it more than that feature? I am not am expert fisherman but I enjoy doing it and try to get out once a week. I am not sure if the SI would really increase my fishing pleasure. I know people have spoken highly of it. I fish mainly small lakes in West Central Minnesota.

I appreciate everybody taking the time to read my long post and to provide any feedback.

Pony

Rear Admiral

The Fleet Farm near where I live has two on sale. They have the 597ci HD DI for 540.00, they also have the 598ci HD SI on sale for 700.00. From what I can tell the only difference between the two is Side Imagining? Is it more than that feature? I am not am expert fisherman but I enjoy doing it and try to get out once a week. I am not sure if the SI would really increase my fishing pleasure. I know people have spoken highly of it. I fish mainly small lakes in West Central Minnesota.

I appreciate everybody taking the time to read my long post and to provide any feedback.

I would recommend taking a look at this youtube video. It really highlights what the side imaging can do. Obviously this is a video is for a different model, but you get the idea. I have this unit, but have yet to really fish on structure yet. I have been drifting over 50-60ft of water on muck bottom, so I haven't really seen much :)

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I like DI and SI personally.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

The 597 CI HD DI would work great for what you need. Buy a hotmaps card for more detail if you want. I prefer the DI as I won't be using or needed what the SI offers.
Hell, I don't use half of what the 597 CI HD DI offers.
But it worked great yesterday and put us on top of some large schools of perch. And feeding on these 10-12 inch perch were these 15-20lb jack.
Go for the cheaper 597 CI HD DI. You won't regret buying it.

natedogg3991

Cadet

I decided to go with the 597ci HD DI. I like the side imaging but I am not sure I was ready for that and would have liked to have a bigger screen. This one I got a really good deal on through Amazon at 476.00. This way once I get this one mastered I can purchase a larger unit and move this up to the front to work with my trolling motor. I liked the side imaging but I think it is tough with out the larger screen, plus what I am used to this one is enough of a jump for me. As for the PIN issue I am not planning to take it out so I do not see that as being a big issue for me, if they had sold it with out the quick disconnect dock for cheaper I would have bought that one.

Thank you everybody for your comments and input.