Shore power breaker

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Hi, been looking to install a 30 amp breaker on my shore power line. Would like to put it in a weather resistant box in the cockpit area,just after the shore power inlet.I cant seem to find one that looks good,easily opened quality built. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Grub

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Shore power breaker

Isn't your shore power already on a breaker? If so why put another one on?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Abyc requires a breaker within 3 feet of shore power inlet. Yes there is a breaker in the main panel, but 10 feet away. Just want to make shure all wiring on the boat is compliant!
Grub

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... If there is such an electrical/ electronic type part,....

These guys can sell it to ya,...

Mostly quite reasonably priced too,..

Thalasso

Commander

Abyc requires a breaker within 3 feet of shore power inlet. Yes there is a breaker in the main panel, but 10 feet away. Just want to make shure all wiring on the boat is compliant!
Grub

Can you post a link? There are numerous boats on the water and in marinas and I'll bet i can't find one with a breaker within 3 ft of inlet. I yet have to see a A/C breaker of any sort on a boat other then what is in the main panel and they aren't breakers. Just on and off switches. I think you might have misread the code. I think it's ten ft (3meters).ABYC conformance isn't a requirement but a guideline of technical standards
Is your main panel within 10ft of the shore power hookup on your boat? If so you don't need anything to be compliant.AC panel can be a single pole breaker IF the panel has a reverse polarity indicator

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Most don't have the breaker,I forget the year it changed,new boat construction requires the breaker.I'll re-read the requirement's on placement. This one is grandfathered in before the requirements changed but, if repairing, do it right I say.
Grub

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't confuse DC with AC wiring.

Your shore power box on the dock has to have a 30A breaker before the receptical.
On the boat you have a the receptical where you plug your shore power cord in, then you have to go to a panel to the AC main breaker, and as I recall, it has to break all 3 legs, hot, neutral, ground. From there you go to your branch circuits.
Don't recall the actual distance between the receptical and main breaker, but I know it's more than 3 feet.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Nope,not confusing ac/dc systems. Mabe just overthinking my memory a bit. I'm looking for the standards again online now. We have the abyc book at work,I'll have to look at that again.
Grub

Thalasso

Commander

Your shore power box on the dock has to have a 30A breaker before the receptical.
On the boat you have a the receptical where you plug your shore power cord in, then you have to go to a panel to the AC main breaker, and as I recall, it has to break all 3 legs, hot, neutral, ground. From there you go to your branch circuits.
Don't recall the actual distance between the receptical and main breaker, but I know it's more than 3 feet.

10feet

Thalasso

Commander

Nope,not confusing ac/dc systems. Mabe just overthinking my memory a bit. I'm looking for the standards again online now. We have the abyc book at work,I'll have to look at that again.
Grub

Remember ABCY is not a required procedure. It's only a recommendation. I think you are referring to the new standards. It's called a ELCI.(isolation transformer) There similar to GFCI's and not to be confused with galvanic isolators.See ABYC E-11.13.3.5 and ABYC E-11.11.1.
Surface Mount System With ELCI Main installed within 10 ft. of shore power AC inlet shore power cord
Blue Seas has them

Here found this for you.
http://youtu.be/2PIRBSeDvrg

On the boat you have a the receptical where you plug your shore power cord in, then you have to go to a panel to the AC main breaker, and as I recall, it has to break all 3 legs, hot, neutral, ground. .

i don't have the book at home but im sure that you are not allowed a breaker in a ground wire period.

a on-board generator transfer switch has rules that concern disconnecting it from the shore cable but thats a switch not a breaker

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Glenn, That transfer switch may be what I was thinking about instead of the breaker. Not sure any more. Been away from boats with shore power too long.