Faria Tach Reads 1000 RPMs Higher. Please advise

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I have a 2003 Regal Comodore 2860 with twin Mercruiser 4.3MPI Bravo III. The boat has the original Faria tachs. My starboard tach reads 1000 RPMs higher than the port side one (at idle, it reads 2000 RPMS while the port tach reads 900 RPMs). Both engines runs fine at idle and on plane. You can clearly see that both engines run at the same idle RPM?just the starboard tach reading way higher.
Under load the starboard tach also reads aprox 1000 RPMS higher (on plane it reads 4500 while the port side reads 3500).
Please let me have your thoughts. I would prefer not to replace the tach because it also read the engine hours.
Thanks,
Lui

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Faria Tach reading higher RPMs (aprox 1000 RPMs higher)

Hi,
I have a 2003 Regal Comodore 2860 with twin Mercruiser 4.3MPI Bravo III. The boat has the original Faria tachs. My starboard tach reads 1000 RPMs higher than the port side one (at idle, it reads 2000 RPMS while the port tach reads 900 RPMs). Both engines runs fine at idle and on plane. You can clearly see that both engines run at the same idle RPM?just the starboard tach reading way higher.
Under load the starboard tach also reads aprox 1000 RPMS higher (on plane it reads 4500 while the port side reads 3500).
Please let me have your thoughts. I would prefer not to replace the tach because it also read the engine hours.
Thanks,
Lui

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could be as simple as the switch on the back of the tach is in the wrong location. however if the tach is bad, short of replacement, you can send them into places like the speedometer shop in milwaukee wisconsin or D&D speedometer in the twin cities or an instrument repair/restoration facility near you for repair. however replacing will most likely be the least expensive.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Tachs have a switch on the back depending on the cylinders on the engine....possibly the tach was replaced and the switch wasn't set for the correct cylinders.

Thalasso

Commander
Access the back of the tachometer and you should find a small dial that says 4 - 6 - 8 etc. Spin the pointer a few times and then set it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Need to have a mod merge the threads together

jbcurt00

Staff member
Diver
Merged the 2 topics and left them here in the Mercruiser forum

Please dont start multiple topics about the same subject, or in multiple forums.

Thank you

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Sure reads funny now,.....

One thread, in one forum works Sooo much Better,...... ;)

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry, guys:facepalm:​ Nobody read my post on the other forum.
BTW, the trick worked! "I have seen cycling the switch a few times on the back returning the tach to correct range"
I just did that and now the tach now reads 900 RPMS.
THANKS!