Where does the 12v change to 24v?

84 115johnson newbe

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up an 88 Stratos with 150hp Johnson an it has a Evinrude trolling motor. It says 24v on the motor, turns slow because of only 12v at the motor. Both new batteries have separate black an red cables that go to the front. Two large red and one large black go into a large receptacle, the other black is reduced an enters into a 6 blade toggle switch, then back into the black cable of the large receptacle. An the toggle also has a red an orange that go to the red cables also. Its a toggle that switches from "charge" to "run"... . The switch was overheated at some time an must be replaced. Still, is it the toggle switch, or the receptacle where it changes to 24v. It would be nice to remove the charge option on the switch an keep it simple. An avoid a possible charging problem in the future. Any ideas ?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That's because the orange wire from the trolling motor has been cut off and not being used. All three wires must be in place for full 12 or 24 volt operation. There were so many wiring systems in the day that I simply stopped offering advice because so many of them had been butchered by prior owners I got tired of analyzing every screw up. You need both batteries for 24 volts. Only one is used for 12 volts but in some systems both batteries are paralleled for 12 volts. Both the receptacle and plug need to have three terminals if you intend to make this a 12/24 system.